Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Pittsburgh 2019. Go Bucks!!!!
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"With that being said, in the final minute of the Cassar v. Steveson match, I found myself saying that if it was at the Ohio high school state tournament a few weeks ago, I am 100% certain that Cassar would have been penalized for stalling."

Dan, I don’t you should use the reffing of Ohio high school wrestling as the standard on how to call end of match stalling - and I agree he was stalling."

Interesting that you say that Ohio officiating should not be used as a standard (which is fair enough) and then say that you agree that he was stalling.

BTW, someone above posted that they want to see riding time go away. I agree 100%. I asked an NCAA official why they allow double boots in with a power half (for riding time) and yet don't call it stalling (which I feel it is) or at least a stalemate since neither wrestler can improve.
He said that some guys do call it a stalemate after waiting a LONG time or a stall. I haven't seen it either way this weekend. Just an observation.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

" If I’m the ref I find a time to call a second stall in both those matches to reward the aggressor."

IMO, one should never "look" for stalling. It is either there, according to the rules, or it isn't. To actually look for it, to make a call, is a bad idea.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

People on Twitter (including the Flo guys) are pissed that Desanto was called for stalling when pushing/shooting Luke out of bounds. However, here is what the rule book says:

A.R. 5-10. How do you determine if a wrestler was pushing the opponent out of
bounds or just wrestling aggressively?
RULING: If Wrestler A is on or near the out of bounds line and actively
trying to circle into the competition area, and Wrestler A is met by his
opponent, Wrestler B, who is pushing, simply to impede, inhibit or block
Wrestler A’s attempts to circle in bounds, and this pushing action results
in an out of bounds call, then this is considered neutral out of bounds
stalling by pushing on opponent (B). Out of bounds stalling by pushing
can occur in any wrestling hold or position in which the wrestlers are in
the standing neutral position.
(Rule 5.7.5b)

Watching that exchange, Luke was trying to circle back in bounds but was being blocked from doing so. By definition, that is stalling on Desanto.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Mike: I think the frustration is aimed more at the rule than the the individuals of the match. ...and I agree...it’s a silly rule.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Interesting that you say that Ohio officiating should not be used as a standard (which is fair enough) and then say that you agree that he was stalling."

How Ohio calls stalling - if you are winning in last period you are 90% of the time stalling in the third period and this period is called completely different than the first two periods . If you are on top and aren’t completely off the hips or turning a guy, despite if bottom guy is making any attempt to get up or not, you are stalling. That is what I meant and we all know this is true. This shouldn’t be how stalling is called.

"

"Interesting that you say that Ohio officiating should not be used as a standard (which is fair enough) and then say that you agree that he was stalling."

How Ohio calls stalling - if you are winning in last period you are 90% of the time stalling in the third period and this period is called completely different than the first two periods . If you are on top and aren’t completely off the hips or turning a guy, despite if bottom guy is making any attempt to get up or not, you are stalling. That is what I meant and we all know this is true. This shouldn’t be how stalling is called."

I don't think "we" is appropriate. You feel this is the case and I do not.
Does stalling get called more often in the third period? Probably so but it is my belief that it is mostly due to the fact that the wrestler who is winning has something to protect and chooses to do so.
Your opinion certainly varies and I respect that.
My point is that you complain about stalling in Ohio in the third and yet feel that stalling should have been called here. I like irony.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Not one to blame refs but what do we have video for? I will never be convinced that was a takedown.

McKenna just got screwed out of a title. That ref should be ashamed.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

The stalling call v McKenna was a mystery...when exactly did Janni take a shot?

Damn, really wanted Micah to win.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Not one to blame refs but what do we have video for? I will never be convinced that was a takedown.

McKenna just got screwed out of a title. That ref should be ashamed."

The way takedowns are called in college now without reaction time I can see how it's a takedown. I don't agree with the rule. Demonstrating control takes more than an instant in my book.

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"The way takedowns are called in college now without reaction time I can see how it's a takedown. I don't agree with the rule. Demonstrating control takes more than an instant in my book."

This has long been my feeling as well. You can't possibly react to something (not just in wrestling but in life) before it actually happens.
I would just love to watch these guys call a MS match. The scores would be 42-40 in no time.
No reaction time makes zero sense to me.

[quote="Jim Behrens"]

"I don't think "we" is appropriate. You feel this is the case and I do not.
Does stalling get called more often in the third period? Probably so but it is my belief that it is mostly due to the fact that the wrestler who is winning has something to protect and chooses to do so.
My point is that you complain about stalling in Ohio in the third and yet feel that stalling should have been called here. I like irony."

Only refs defending their own think differently. You can try and deny that refs in Oh call stalling differently in third period but it is. Guy winning is stalling in third for doing what guy losing did in first two without being called.

Stalling should be called in theese matches because, and I repeat, they did nothing offensive the entire match.

No irony at all.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Not one to blame refs but what do we have video for? I will never be convinced that was a takedown.

McKenna just got screwed out of a title. That ref should be ashamed."

The way takedowns are called in college now without reaction time I can see how it's a takedown. I don't agree with the rule. Demonstrating control takes more than an instant in my book."

When his arm is still around Y’s waste and there is no clear control there is no takedown. I can’t rationalize this at all.

I was surprised Dean wasn’t called for stalling against Myles but at least I understood it. This was ridiculous.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 23, 2019

Although, Joey got screwed on the takedown before ot the takedown in the first went in his favor. Joey, Micah, and Myles were great competitors for Ohio St and more importantly great young men.

[quote="Brady Hiatt"]

"

"I don't think "we" is appropriate. You feel this is the case and I do not.
My point is that you complain about stalling in Ohio in the third and yet feel that stalling should have been called here. I like irony."

Only refs defending their own think differently. You can try and deny that refs in Oh call stalling differently in third period but it is. Guy winning is stalling in third for doing what guy losing did in first two without being called.

Stalling should be called in theese matches because, and I repeat, they did nothing offensive the entire match.

No irony at all."

I guess that is two things we don't agree on. Besides you don't have any ability to tell me what refs think just like I can't tell you what coaches think.

BTW, I don't understand what you mean by this at all.
"Guy winning is stalling in third for doing what guy losing did in first two without being called.".
The two situations are completely different.

"

"You can try and deny that refs in Oh call stalling differently in third period but it is. Guy winning is stalling in third for doing what guy losing did in first two without being called."

BTW, I don't understand what you mean by this at all.
"Guy winning is stalling in third for doing what guy losing did in first two without being called.".
The two situations are completely different."

So you confirm refs call stalling different based upon what period it is.

I will tell you, every single coach I have ever talked to, hs and college, agree that stalling is called in the third period very differently than in the first two periods. I have yet to hear a ref say it is called differently.

We adjust to it as coaches.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next