Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tommy Rowlands at Olympic Team Trials
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Tommy just won the second match 3-0, 1-0 with a reversed 1 point call at the end of the second period when Mocco won coin flip for the clinch. (Whoever wins the coin flip for the clinch wins the period 80% of the time!!!) Mocco won the first match 1-0, 1-0, so there will be a third and final match to decide who goes to the Olympics.

Way to go Tommy! You'll get him in the third!!!

Rowlands was a 2x NCAA Champion and 4x All-American at The Ohio State University as well as a high school national champion in folkstyle and freestyle and a two-time state champion at Bishop Ready High School in Columbus.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Any chance that overturned call proves to be a momentum swing that Tommy rides to Beijing???

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! <excited>

<sign_oh>

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Give em he## in the 3rd match Tommy! The family and I are currently trying to send you the best vibes possible!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes. Best vibes.

Don Stocum added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

<crazy> haha let's go Tommy!!!

Tommy was defeated on the mat tonight but he's a champion in my book. If he's back for the 2012 Olympics, he'll be right back here!!!

Congrats on everything, Tommy!

<sign_oh>

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Tommy, if you ever read this, I would just like you to know that we are proud of you back here at home! The run did not go the way you wanted, but that does not take away from the impact that you have on so many people around you.
I, personally, have a small list of people that I consider my heroes and you are one of those people... and that has nothing to do with the sport of wrestling. Thanks for taking a huge community on a great ride, we all love you and your family.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

I'm so upset for Rowlands, he deserved the spot on the team.

Just like all of their previous matches, Tommy takes all the risks, pushes the action, and is the clear aggressor. I hate to say it, but we are not sending our best to China.

Tommy won with class, and lost with class. A true asset to the Buckeyes and USA wrestling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Hate to say it but the rules don't favor aggressive wrestlers like Tom. They favor guys that prefer to do less and try to capitalize on a mistake---like Mocco.

The coin flip at the end of period 1 of bout 3 probably cost Tom a berth on the Olympic team. How ridiculous that coin flips rather than wrestling determine a winner. It's sad that someone so dedicated and talented lost due to something so capricious.

Not hating on Mocco....Just sad for Tom.

My $0.02...

Mocco did what he had to do to win. Regardless of how aggressive or not aggressive he was, that's how he became an Olympian.

I can't express how much I hate the fact that a coin flip is the ultimate decider. I have no idea how FILA thought this was the "correct" way for freestyle wrestling to go. It is completely wrong.

There's no way to know for sure who would have won between Rowlands and Mocco if there were no coin flips. It surely would be much easier to rationalize winning or losing a match rather than winning or losing a coin flip.

Ask yourself this:
Should we really have our Olympians (the best competitors in our sport at the highest level of our sport) chosen by a coin flip?

I say no.

Long live Folkstyle!!!

Real Pro Wrestling, where are you?!?!?!

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on June 16, 2008

I didn't really see Tommy take many chances. He only shot when he was behind and had to. That being said, Mocco did even less. I just don't know why Tommy didn't try to use the pushout to get some points. It seemed like he lost all the coin tosses too. The clinch in Greco seems to be more fair than the clinch in Freestyle. Also, is there stalling or passivity in international wrestling? I didn't see anyone even warned in the whole finals. Oh well, at least Andy Hrovat made it to the Olympics. He and Mo Lawal took some chances and put it all on the mat, unlike the heavyweights.

Only two months till the Olympics.
Go America!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 16, 2008

Yeah, since they did away with the passivety calls, and put in this coin toss, a guy like Mocco has a better chance. Same old Mocco, block, block, block and wait for you to shoot. He had a couple of leg sweeps that weren't even close, that was the extent of his offense. It's frustrating to watch Tommy lose that way; when he lost those coin tosses, I knew he was in trouble. Mocco grabs the leg and heads out of bounds for the 1-point push out. Pretty simple. I like the way Byers in Greco won his match, bear hug go behind and a great suplay. Now that's wrestling!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 16, 2008

Dan: You wouldn't happen to know the percentage of guys - and guys at the Olympic level - that have never finished a head outside single leg, and just GIVEN the leg, to boot!?!?!?!?! Would you???

The coin flip is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Who thinks of this crap!?! You know what, it's most likely the same guys that came up with follow your man!!!

I've watched quite a few matches in the recent years of freestyle...since day one of the implementation of that rule, I have hated it. Win or lose, I'll always hate it.

And as I said on the other site, I really wish I had a better answer than "turn the clock off and let the wrestlers decide" because without a better answer, all I feel I'm doing is b-ing and moaning.

You da man Tommy. I agree with Brendan...thanks for bringing the whole wrestling community along for a great ride!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 16, 2008

Mark, I'd almost go with that leg clinch if you still had to bring the guy to the mat "IN BOUNDS" under control for the point, not this push him out of bounds on one leg and get your 1 point. It's stupid.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on June 16, 2008

Tommy lost because he lost the coin tosses. Neither wrestler appeared to try anything offensively in any of the three matches. Although I think the coin toss very stupid, I feel both wreslters let the coin decide the match. Mocco just happened to win the coin tosses. Maybe they should have the wreslters do a two out of three on rock, paper, scissors instead of a coin toss.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next