Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bergman moves to Heavyweight
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

Bob Preusse has reported on another forum that J.D. Bergman will move to 285 for the upcoming season.

Now, who wrestles 197? My guess is that Zach Weinrich would be a strong candidate or a slimmed down Corey Morrison. John Weakley would be a possibility as well. Who am I overlooking?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

i am told 197 between Weinrich or Weakley or a guy i don't know named Nikolai Timbs, anyone know Timbs ???

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

Well here are my thoughts...
- Bergman was a very big 197, competing well at 211 in the FS/GR season and weighing probably 230. I thought he could've gone 285 last year and done very well. It's no surprise that he's there now.
- In this FloWrestling video (which is awesome by the way), Bergman doesn't look much smaller than Rowlands... http://www.flocasts.com/flowrestling/speakers.php?sid=381&vid=4722
- Here's who is on the roster at 197 and 285: Jason Cook, Jacob Hale, Nickolai Timbs, John Weakley, Zack Weinrich, Jesse Campbell, Eric DiAgosta, Steve Dumas, Corey Morrison, Zach Stolarsky, and of course J.D. Bergman.
- I don't think any of the heavyweights will drop to 197. Maybe Morrison can, but then he'd probably have to go right back up for the future. Weinrich may be the favorite for the spot, although Cook, Timbs, and Hale who holds the Ohio high school record for most takedowns in a season, could be there as well. A year ago I would have said Weakley would do just fine in this spot. I still think he is capable of it athletically and he's a real good kid. As a true freshman though, I'm not sure if he is ready yet mentally for it. Maybe, maybe not. Tom Ryan has said all along though that the best guy in each weight class will get the spot. We know he's not going to redshirt guys just to redshirt them, so we'll see.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

197 would become a vaccuum with Bergman out of the weight (to 285). None of the kids listed are likely NCAA qualifiers out of the B10. Weakley is the closest, but even he had a poor (by the standards of high level national wrestling) senior season of high school.

Is 285 that open to where Bergman could be a KEY player in it? Who's at the top? Fox, Gritter, etc?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

Josh: Generally speaking I'm with you. Bergman is a solid AA at 197 and Morrison is only going to get better. If OSU puts in Morrison or another starter at Heavy with Bergman at 197 I think we score some points. With Bergman at Heavy, he scores lots of points in a relatively weak weight and probably places at NCAAs. But at 197 we have totally unproven D1 wrestlers.

The ace in the hole is that our 197s are likely wrestling Bergman and Rowlands in practice and so far I'm willing to believe Ryan is making the right decisions on what is best for the team. He seems to be doing well so far.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 7, 2007

Bergman's style is well suited to 285 and I think he's as likely to be a high AA there as at 197. He likes upper body ties and slowed down action. I think he'll manage well at 285 and has as good a shot at winning an NCAA title at this wt as 197.

Last year no one knew what he'd do from week to week. This season, without having to cut 20 lbs a week, he'll be happier and more consistent. He's a senior and it's his call to make.

As for 197, it's likely to be Weinrich or Morrison. Weinrich was 3rd in NJ as a hs senior--he's no meatball. Look for him to improve steadily as the year goes on. Morrison will most likely take a well deserved redshirt as he's given alot to the team over the last two seasons. Then, he'll either take over 197 in 2008 or battle at 285 with Campbell, DiAgosta and whomever.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 8, 2007

I think that Bergman pretty much comes the top contender at Heavy this year. Look who is there this year, especially with Fox taking an Olympic Redshirt it will open up the playing field big time.

At 197 I think you put Weinrich in there and give both Weakley and Morrison a redshirt that would benefit them greatly.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 8, 2007

i am told Fox no redshirt this year. (After all 285 not deep this season, this is Fox year to win it all. )

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 9, 2007

I think 285 will be wide open next season. Look for some "unknowns" who have size and talent to make a big impact. If Matt Fields is healthy, he could emerge as the guy to beat (although Fox has his number). What about the Harvard kid, Ogunowle? Is he back?

Regardless, Bergman will be tough at this weight class because of greco skills and power. If he can ride some of the bigger guys, that would help.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 9, 2007

Scouting the 285 pound weight class next year, it appears that Bergman will have a great chance to win it all or place high.

Returning All-Americans at Heavyweight...
J.D. Bergman (Ohio State) - 2x AA at 197 (3rd, 4th)
Dustin Fox (Northwestern) - AA at 285 (3rd)
Ryan Gritter (Central Michigan) - AA at 285 (5th)
Wade Sauer (Fullerton) - AA at 285 (6th)
Mike Spaid (Bloomsburg) - AA at 285 (8th)
**Phil Davis (Penn State) - 3x AA at 197 (2nd, 5th, 7th)
** = If he is moving up to this weight class.

National Qualifiers with Ohio ties...
Matt Koz (Chattanooga)
Jermail Porter (Kent State)
Rashard Goff (Cleveland State)
Nate Thobaben (Army)

Other National Qualifiers...
Fields, Rosholt, Prendergast, Massey, Zabriskie, Ellis, Rogers, Hammond, Walker, Brooks, Nichols, Wise, Fendone, Hopkin, Mock

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 9, 2007

Phil Davis of Penn St staying at 197, Penn St Hwts either Tighe or Laboranti.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 9, 2007

I think it could very well be and all Ohio final between Fox and Bergman. He has the Greco skills to go with anyone upperbody and like Hank said if he can ride them out he'll be even that much tougher to beat in the heavyweight division.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2007

I think it could very well be and all Ohio final between Fox and Bergman.

J.D. was touted as a national title contender all last fall then took some unexpected losses from the first match moving forward. In addition, he's never won first round at NCAA's. Let's allow him to adjust to the new weight and see how he does against some of the better guys before assuming he's a potential finalist. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but I do think it's important to keep history in mind before glossing someone a bonafide contender.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 10, 2007

Yes, let's keep history in mind. Bergman is a 2x All-American, finishing 3rd and 4th, who dropped a lot of weight to get to where he was last year, and is going up to a weight class with no returning finalist.

I'll agree that he is a bonafide title contender right now.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 10, 2007

An interesting note to consider...
Pat Degain (Indiana) was a very good 197 pounder from 2002-2004, cracked the top 10 a few times but was just short of being an All-American. In that 2004 weight class, J.D. Bergman finished 3rd. Degain moved up to 285 the next year and placed 3rd in the nation, defeating Greg Wagner (twice) and Matt Feast among others, and also outplaced Cain Velasquez. Degain's only loss during the tournament was 4-0 in the semifinals to the champion, Steve Mocco.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next