Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Bergman moves to Heavyweight
Jack Muni added to this discussion on September 10, 2007

I watched the Olympic Center video, and J.D. looks pretty good at the heavier weight. If you remember last year the 3rd period was his worst, even in his winning matches. There was always talk of too much weight cutting even back then. And being he always seemed more comfortable with the upper body greco-style, I look forward to seeing him compete at 285. One of his "weaker " points was his leg attack defense, which I don't figure many heavyweights are going to use anyway, so that should be a plus. I figure the only thing he has to do is wrestle smart against the guys with the bigger size advantage (say 250-285 range) and not get caught underneath them; but if he's as strong as people say he is, he should win a lot of matches.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on September 11, 2007

I keep remembering how much better Keaton Anderson was his senior year when he went up to 157 after years of cutting weight at 149. It would be great to see J.D. finish out his college career as an NCAA champion.

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on September 11, 2007

I have never understood why college coaches think all these kids need to cut these tremendous amounts of weight. I have never seen a single one of them wrestle close to their expected ability. J.D. has been like so many he follows, "they cut huge amounts of weight and are unable to consistently compete at the level they are capable of wrestling." They look tired (out of shape), are more susceptible to injury, and wrestle inconsistently from the continuous weight cutting. Look at the ones who win titles, most do not cut large amounts of weight and almost all from Ohio State have been at the upper weights where weight cutting is not as critical (10 pounds at 190 [about 5%] is not like 10 pounds at 125 [8%]).

Re: Coleman, Holman, Randleman, Clark and Rowlands, while great wrestlers like Marinelli, Disabato, Yetts, Schyck, Ramsey, Anderson, Jaeger and Ratliff did not win titles while cutting 10--20 pounds at lower weight classes.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on September 12, 2007

J.D. is a great wrestler, but his body make up looks like Nick Preston,. The 285. class is a wide open weight class, I am not sure if you guys remember but it's hard to finish shots on guys that weigh 30 to 35 lbs more than you. It's hard to ride out a guy that's 3 inches taller than you and weighs 30 to 35 lbs more than you. I think J.D. right now is a great an even fantastic wresler with out a true weight class in college, he is a 211lber all the way. Just my opinion though guys.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 15, 2007

Erik--You make good points. The 285 lb weight class is different from the others and a lt 285 is at a significant disadvantage. On the other hand, 285 has always been something of a greco style weight class--which should help J.D.. My feeling is that he's going to get a lot of throws this year as guys lean into him. Will he compete well against bigger, active guys? We'll find out.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2