Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kudos to Jack Effner
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 8, 2008

Jack Effner deserves a lot of credit for the job he did at CSU. He took over a listless program and provided an immediate boost. For years, he did things the right way.

He scheduled tough teams, and often managed to put a squad on the mat that brought solid crowds to many home meets.

For years, his squads were ranked top 25 in the nation in team gpa.

He ran camps and re-integrated CSU into the NE Ohio wrestling community with his open mat sessions.

In addition, Effner managed to have his kids ready when it mattered--the EWL tourney. His squads qualified a lot of kids for nationals.

I think that any fair assessment of his time at CSU would see his departure as having left the program in much better shape than when hearrived.

Personally, I think his own good nature hurt him as he struck me as too willing to give extra chances to guys that messed up.

Finally, Effner deserves a lot of credit for knowing when it was time to go. Jack could have stuck around and continued to try to lift up this program. But, Jack chose to admit that the program had plateaued and took an opportunity to move along. Most guys lack the guts to admit they're no longer the best guy for a task. He looked in the mirror and decided that the program might benefit from a new direction.

I wish Jack well in his new job and want him to know i appreciated his work at CSU.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on July 8, 2008

He's definitely leaving the program in better condition than it was in when he arrived.

Best of luck to Coach Effner in his new career

Ryan Peters added to this discussion on July 8, 2008

Jack is a class act and will be sadly missed in our NE Ohio community. On behalf of the Beachwood wrestling program, thanks for everything you did for the wrestling community and the Beachwood wrestlers over the years. You made a difference!!!!

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 8, 2008

Jack and his sons are great people, the kind of people you want representing our sport. They will be missed at Cleveland State.

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on July 9, 2008

Jack did a camp at Boardman a few years back and I thought he was one of the best clinicians I've seen - he really knew how to coach wrestling. best of luck to him and his family.

David Armstrong added to this discussion on July 10, 2008

Coach Effner is a great coach and he has definitely made a difference in a lot of people's lives, including mine. I wish him well.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 12, 2008

Thanks, David.

For those who don't know who David is, he was an excellent high school wrestler at Collinwood and an NCAA qualifier at Cleveland State.

My question is this: are you going to NDC next year? I hope so! You would do awesome there!!!

► Add to the Discussion