Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Super 32
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 9, 2007

The Super 32 is coming up and it looks like this is going to be the best field ever assembled. This tournament just seems to keep growing and growing in size and fire power.

The 140 weight class looks very tough right now with Jameson, Spicel, Peña and Marshall Peppleman all registered. All those guys were ranked in the top 10 of their weights at one point last year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 10, 2007

Close to 700 paid wrestlers already, and a boatload more registered. Tournament should close out by the end of this weekend if numbers extrapolate.

Some key names and weights:

103- Boylan NJ, Schopp PA, Nowry IL, Bruno FL, Thielke WI, DiJulius OH, Thockmorton PA
112- Billy VA, Dolan DE, Mitchell GA, Spangler VA, Waldo MI, Young PA, Rappo PA, Gentry VA, Prezzia PA, Westfall OH
119- Milks IL, Mock NC, O'Neal NV, Westerman GA, Williams VA, Garofalo VA, Neibert OH, Cimato PA, DelleFave NJ, Rickard MI, Snyder PA, Klingsheim CA
125- Creed NC, Crozier GA, Dearden NH, Grajales FL, Liguori NY, Ramos IL, Sentes FL, Spjut TX, R Adamson TX, Valles NJ
130- Garnett DE, Mang TN, Thompson AL, Villalonga NJ, Albert GA, Fobes NJ, Coulas NJ, Dziewa PA, Frankhouser PA, Kindig PA
135- Max Ortega NM, Pantaleo VA, Isenberg KS, Fields OH, K Timothy FL, Skoneiczny OH, Strumwasser NY, Courts PA
140- Hatley WY, Melde NJ, Napier KS, Peña OR, Cozart FL, Jameson OH, Spicel OH, M Peppelman PA, Luster GA
145- Knapp GA, W Peppelman PA, Gutches OR, Konz TN, Gonzalez IL, D Adamson TX
152- Countryman AL, Ours VA, Menditto NJ, Hynson DE, Shuster PA, Goins OH, Weibel PA, Dailey PA
160- Condon GA, Cubberly OH, Rakes VA, King VA, Roth IL, Roberts GA, Schalles FL, McPeek TX, Ryan OH
171- Armstrong TX, Burge MI, Clement VA, Meys NY, Blanton IL, Elliott KS, Fausey PA, Tolbert TN, Ruth PA, Mills OH, Cheatham OH, Blackstock GA, Lenhardt VA
189- Mancuso NJ, M Huntley VA, Campolattano NJ
215- Fisher OH
285- n/a

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on October 19, 2007

I am suprised there has not been more discussion on the Super 32... Any chance we might get to see some results and updates as the weekend progresses?

Jason Bryant added to this discussion on October 20, 2007

I'll do what I can with my notebooks that will be frequently updated on the InterMat site. Two eyes, 20 mats ... I'll be running around getting matches of note the best I can.

JB

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on October 20, 2007

Thanks JB...

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 20, 2007

Jason you do a great job updating the information with that the notebook format. I wish I could have made the trip down to see it but couldn't make it down there. It is amazing how tough this tournament has grown to be in just the past 3 years.

Ohio should have a great showing down there. I am looking forward to Jameson vs. Peppleman which should be a great bout.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

I made it down there too. I was doing updates until lunch time, but after lunch starting with champ 16's on through, I was doing PA in champ bracket rounds and moving around during consi rounds.

The PA helped JB get more updates done.

In terms of what I saw.

Mitcheff kind of struggled losing to Mock by a biggish margin in the quarterfinals. Neibert lost to the champ Langel - at the time an 8-2 loss surprised me.

Fields had a very good tournament up until his meltdown after a controversial semi loss. Quality 1-0 wins over a pair of NC wrestlers - Shanor and Earp. Earp is a JN FS AA, and Shanor is a kid that goes about even with Earp.

Palmer won over Courts in the final with a late takedown.

Spicel lost in the semis to Isenberg. Led 6-3 but lost 8-6.

Jameson won in a great battle over Walter Peppelman.

Cubberly upsets Winston 5-4!

Mills lost early at 171, bad loss, but then recovered to do somewhat well. Roth lost early, kind of a bad loss, but recovered to place 6th - including almost knocking off Jordan Blanton.

Fisher took a belt at 215.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

Full Ohio Results from Super 32: http://www.ohiowrestling.net/articles/archives/118

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

I've seen Isenberg (who defeated Spicel) on tape. He's a tree stump and a big move guy all the way. I would have expected Spicel to beat him. My guess is he caught Spicel with something.

Can anyone tell me a bit about Matt Fisher? I really don''t know much about him. What's his style?

Fisher was 2nd @ 189 in DII last year. Kind of shorter/stockier for the 215 class it seems. The likely favorite at 215 in DII if you ask me.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

Josh--was his performance a surprise? Or was he thought to have a good shot to win this tourney?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Josh--was his performance a surprise? Or was he thought to have a good shot to win this tourney?"

At S32, he was the favorite for sure. Only real "name" there. The others with major credentials - state titles/finals - were from non-power states.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

I think we see the emergence of someone in the DI 189 mess in Tumlin. If Roddy is not there at 189 I see Tumlin as an early favorite this year.

Super 32 had some great competition this year. Cubberly is going to be outstanding this year at 160. He may end up being the best 160 in the nation if Welch is not there.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

All indications I've seen are Roddy at 171, though he could win either weight in a walk.

Tumlin didn't necessarily overwhelm, but he did wrestle well. The loss in the main draw was to Huntley - a Cadet doubler (twice) from Colonial Forge. He is the favorite in that weight, and it's more of a by default designation.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

All indications I've seen are Roddy at 171, though he could win either weight in a walk.

Tumlin didn't necessarily overwhelm, but he did wrestle well. The loss in the main draw was to Huntley - a Cadet doubler (twice) from Colonial Forge. He is the favorite in that weight, and it's more of a by default designation.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next