Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan
Scott Shaw added to this discussion on September 18, 2007

Vering drops the Gold Medal Match to, 2004 Athens Gold Medalist and 2006 World Bronze Medalist, Aleksey Mishin of Russia.

One silver, one bronze so far for the Greco team. Hopefully Byers can pull out a gold.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on September 19, 2007

<clap>

It seems as though the United States has won the Greco-Roman Team World Championships. Entering the finals at the 120kg weight class the U.S. was in a 29-29 tie with Russia. Byers was wrestling for the Bronze and won, while the Russian (Baroev) was wrestling for the Gold but lost to Lopez of Cuba.

That would mean, barring any scoring errors, that the United States was won it's first ever World Team Championship in Greco, 31-29 over the second place Russian National Team.

Congrats to the Greco team.

Unfortunately, Cejudo and Zadick both lost their first match and were not pulled back in to the repechage for a chance at the Bronze. That will seriously hurt the U.S. chances in Freestyle.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on September 20, 2007

I posted this info in Ross's topic that was Coach Heskett specific, but for those of you that came here first.

Nice bounce back by the U.S. freestylers. Schwab, Heskett, and Williams all one win away from the Bronze, and have qualified their weights for Beijing. Unfortunately Coach Heskett is wrestling the athlete from Azerbaijan for the Bronze and I am sure we have all heard what happened to our man Harry Lester in his semi-final against the hometown boy. Good luck to Coach Heskett and congrats on a fabulous first trip to the World Championships (win or lose.)

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on September 20, 2007

Three straight defeats in the Bronze Medal matches for the U.S.

Schwab, Heskett, and Williams have all finished 5th and qualified there weights for the Olympics next season.

All in all, Schwab and Heskett wrestled very well for it being their first World Championships.

Good luck to Big Tommy Rowlands tomorrow. He will need it with Rodriguez (Cuba) and the majority favorite for Gold, Taymazov (Uzbekistan) is his half bracket.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 21, 2007

Joe Heskett got 5th place.

Quote from Craig Sesker, a USA Wrestling journalist's post:

"Heskett nearly upset World champion Mahach Murtazaliev of Russia in the semifinals at 74 kg/163 lbs. before dropping a gritty, three-period match. Heskett shot in deep on a single-leg early in his third-place match with Azerbaijan’s Chamsulvara Chamsulvaraev, but was unable to finish. Heskett looked sharp all day, but his medal hopes ended in a 1-0, 3-1 loss to Chamsulvaraev. Heskett went 4-2 in his first World Championships.

“It’s just disappointing in a lot of ways to come out of here without a medal after wrestling a pretty good tournament,” Heskett said. “It’s painful and it’s something that’s going to motivate me. I know I’ve made a lot of progress in the last three months and I’m going to keep building on that for next year.”"

Tommy Rowlands lost 1-0, 2-0 to World Champion Alexis Rodriguez of Cuba, but Rodriguez defeated another World Champion, Artur Taymazov, to carry Rowlands through to the consolation rounds. He's still in with a possibility for Bronze.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on September 21, 2007

Cormier salvages the U.S. with a Bronze Medal.

Rowlands lost the Bronze Medal match to Taymazov 3-0, 6-0.

I am sure that Tommy and Joe are disappointed with 5th and not coming home with a medal, but I say congrats for an outstanding first trip to the World Championships and this was an excellent step towards Gold in Beijing.

Tommy's two losses were to two World Champions. Again, I am sure that he is not happy, but that was a tough draw for your first Worlds.

I just updated the front page of the website with more info on how everyone did and match results for the Ohio guys.

Harry Lester: 3rd place (Bronze)
Joe Heskett: 5th place
Tommy Rowlands: 5th place

Way to go, guys! Great job. Now it's Olympics '08!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 21, 2007

The important thing for Tommy and Joe is that despite medaling, they were able to qualify their weights (admittedly with some help in TR's case - Rodriguez upsetting Taymazov to carry him through) for the Olympics. This means that they don't have to worry about competing in the qualifiers with such high stress on them.

Josh,
While you point out that Tommy had great luck in Rodriguez defeating Taymazov, you must also point out that he had very bad luck in drawing Rodriguez so early. He defeated all comers other than those two, who are World Champs.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 23, 2007

I think this was a great showing by both Tommy and Joe for their first World Championships. They made Ohio and USA proud by taking 5th. Tommy is right there with Rodriguez and I think he could knock him off within the year.

Tommy seems like he is firmly the top dog at the heavyweight class in the USA and I think he could represent USA for years to come if he chooses to do so.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on October 3, 2007

I've got a question, does the US still have a chance to qualify for the olympics the two weight classes that did not place in the top five at Worlds?

Such as at the PAN AM Championships?

Thanks

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 3, 2007

Yes, they do and they likely will qualify both wts.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2