Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Future Buckeye Lineups
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on September 30, 2008

It's almost October and I'm Jonesing for wrestling to start.

Check this out:

2008-2009
125: Triggas
133: Humphrey
141: Jaggers
149: Palmer
157: Johnstone
165: Sponseller
174: Rella
184: Pucillo
197: Gardner
285: CoMo

2009-2010
125: Triggas
133: Humphrey
141: C. Palmer
149: L. Palmer
157: Nemec
165: Sponseller
174: Rella
184: Pucillo
197: Gardner
285: CoMo

2010-2011
125: Stieber
133: Triggas
141: Paddock
149: C. Palmer
157: Jameson
165: Nemec
174: Sponseller
184: Magrum
197: Weakley
285: Gardner

2011-2012
125: Stieber
133: Stieber
141: Paddock
149: Palmer
157: Jameson
165: Nemec
174: Phillips
184: Magrum
197: Weakley
285: Gardner

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

First off, I like your optimism with both Stieber's in the lineup ;) Second, I think you may be being a bit optimistic to hope Phillips will still be around 174 in 2011-2012. I hope you're right, but I wouldn't bank on it.

John Ice added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

Is anyone giving Nemec a chance to beat out Johnstone this year?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

I'm just hoping we can get Phillips. He has to be their #1 recruiting priority. I hope the Stieber connection will work in our favor.

Don Stocum added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"First off, I like your optimism with both Stieber's in the lineup ;) Second, I think you may be being a bit optimistic to hope Phillips will still be around 174 in 2011-2012. I hope you're right, but I wouldn't bank on it."

Are we forgetting that Roddy was at 171 all four years of high school is it really out of the question for him to be 174???

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

Quote from John Ice's post:

""Is anyone giving Nemec a chance to beat out Johnstone this year?"

Me --- I'm sure will be a challenge, but for sure I'm giving Nemec good chance.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 1, 2008

Obviously, I was bored and put this together for fun. It's anybodies gues what weight some of these guys will be, and if some will even become Buckeyes. Regarding Johnstone and Nemec I think it will be a very good wrestleoff. I gave the edge to Johnstone b/c he is a senior 3 year starter.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 2, 2008

i respect that about Johnstone, he will not easily surrender what he has worked hard for----

but in todays era, freshman with big talent, and esp redshirt freshmen like Nemec cant be underestimated, and perhaps wont be denied-- as George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth shall be served."

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 2, 2008

It will be nothing short of interesting. Johnstone has an affinity for getting in on leg attacks whereas Nemec wrestles a controlled solid style with few if any mistakes. I am interested in seeing at what level of development is Nemec when someone gets his leg at the collegiate level. Counter wrestling is one of the most important skills that Freshman need to spend time developing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 4, 2008

Any talk of Lance redshirting and Johnstone going 149? Heard that recently mentioned. Doesn't help national title chances for this season--which are slim anyway--but it gives Lance a better chance to compete for an individual title down the road.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 4, 2008

It would give him an extra year on the team with his brother. It might create a logjam at 141-157 the year after with Palmer, Palmer Nemec and Jameson plus others.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 4, 2008

What are the chances that Collin could make 141 for a couple years? I always assumed that Collin would redshirt for a year then step in at 149 when Lance graduates.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 5, 2008

I highly doubt we will see Palmer at 141 he is already at 145 for this year that is a huge cut to make down. I don't think we will see the younger Stieber at 125 ever either. Hunter is already at 112 as a sophomore and is only going to grow.

I think that after Triggas moves up we will see Touris in the lineup at 125 for a while.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 5, 2008

I'll give my $0.02 on some points here....

I think Collin Palmer will be the heir to the 149 pound spot after his brother graduates. I do not think there's a good possibility of Lance redshirting and I don't think there's a good possibility of the Buckeyes starting true freshman Collin over fifth-year senior Humphrey.

Roddy being 171 for four years was an exception to a rule of 99.9% of every high school wrestler growing during his career. Other than 103 pounders and 215-285 pounders, I can only remember one wrestler doing that - a Roddy opponent, in fact - Graham's David Thompson, also at 171 pounds. Both Roddy and Thompson matured athletically very early. Even though that is also the case with Phillips, I wouldn't bet on him not growing.

Along the same line of thinking, I don't think either Logan or Hunter Stieber will ever be at 125 pounds in college. I could see Logan at 133 and Hunter at 141 being more likely. As for Tessari, who knows where he'll stop growing?

I have no idea who will win between Johnstone and Nemec. Johnstone really stepped up last year and was just two rounds away from being an All-American. Johnstone had some huge wins - especially at the Big 10 tournament, which was undoubtedly the best tournament of his career. The difficult thing about 157 pounds is it never gets any easier; the field returning is brutally tough. Nemec is the super freshman - despite his relative youth, it would be difficult to see him not breaking into any lineup in the nation. This will be an awesome wrestle-off. If you can make the trip to Columbus, do it. If you can't, listen to our broadcast. You don't want to miss this one!!!

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 5, 2008

I never predicted Colin beating out Hump. I had heard it said in the past that Lance and COlin wanted to wrestle together at tOSU. However unlikely, I think the only way that could happen is a scenario with:
133-Hump
141-Colin
149-Lance

I have seen it speculated lately that Logan Stieber will be a career 125. If that is the case it certainly changes things. Ohio State is building great depth. Certainly guys like Touris, Harrington, Vaughn and others could challenge at the lower weights. I think Paddock is a guy that eventually ends up at 141.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next