Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Future Buckeye Lineups
Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 5, 2008

Does coach Ryan adhere to the wrestle-offs dictating his starter at a certain weight? Being that the first two events on the OSU schedule are open tournaments, I wonder if Johnstone's & Nemec's performances in those will be more of a factor in who starts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2008

Jack: I think most D1 coaches only view wrestleoffs as part of the equation in determining the lineup. There have been many wrestleoff upsets in recent years and they have not altered lineups (wasn't Johnny Hendricks pinned in a intrasquad?). I do think coaches use the results as they see fit. If the guy they perceive as the best option wins the wrestleoff, it determines the starter. If the other guy wins, then often the coach uses other rationale for choosing the guy he thinks will give the team the best shot. One issue is that guys in the same room are very familiar with each other's styles so wrestleoffs can be very close even if one wrestler is clearly better in an overall sense.

With Johnstone and Nemec, the Bucks have a quandary. Johnstone's track record is that of an improving Big Ten performer. He had a strong conference tourney in 2008 and showed an ability to remain competitive with the top guys in the country (although he hasn't displayed an ability to beat them). Nemec represents the future--as well as a "high draft pick"--and his potential may be seen as a bit higher. But is he ready right now to perform at the same level as Johnstone? This may be a weight where open tourney performances and wrestleoffs are weighed equally in determing the starter. It's somewhat akin to Penn State's situation last year between Strayer and Scott.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 6, 2008

Maybe this year Johnstone will rise to the next level with Nemec on his heals. He did have a nice Big Ten tournament, beating that Mich. kid who shut him out in the dual meet. I personally would like to see both at the opens, and when they participate in the Buckeye Duals and National Duals, bring both and pick the best match-up, depending on the opponent.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2