Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OU Lineup..Strange?
Don Mahon added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

When was the last time this happened? Not one Senior, and only 4 juniors.

Name WT CL/EXP Hometown (Previous School)
Allen, Heath 125 SO Bellefontaine, Ohio (Benjamin Logan)
Boing, Darrin 133 RS FR Northfield Center, Ohio (St. Peter Chanel)
Christensen, Kevin 149 JR Springfield, Ohio (Greenon HS)
Ciccarello, Kyle 125 RS FR South Euclid, Ohio (Brush)
Driscoll, Brian 184 FR Avon Lake, Ohio (Avon Lake)
Fennell, Michael 141 RS FR Commack, N.Y. (Commack)
Garcia, Gabe 157 RS FR Toledo, Ohio (Sylvania Southview)
Gordon, Casey 141 FR Dublin, Ohio (Dublin Scioto)
Hartshorn, Andy 285 RS FR Reynoldsburg, Ohio (Reynoldsburg)
Hendon, Rudy 149 FR Bowling Green, Ohio (Bowling Green)
Horne, Josh 155 SO Pickerington, Ohio (Pickerington Central)
Iammarino, Chris 197 SO Lyndhurst, Ohio (Brush)
Ison, Jacob 174 JR Batavia, Ohio (Batavia)
Keyes, Quentin 133 RS SO Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (Walsh Jesuit)
Kline, Chris 157 FR Westerville, Ohio (Westerville North)
Lindsey, Germane 141 SO Cincinnati, Ohio (Moeller)
Mashkow, Tyler 125 RS FR Islip, N.Y. (Hofstra)
Morton, Seth 133 JR Canal Winchester, Ohio (Canal Winchester)
Nelson, Zach 149 FR Mt. Sterling, Ohio (Madison Plains)
Powell, Justin 197 RS FR Youngstown, Ohio (Boardman)
Prichard, Matt 285 FR Dayton, Ohio (Northmont)
Purdue, Nick 174 RS FR Genoa, Ohio (Genoa)
Ramos, Gabe 125 FR Hopatcong, N.J. (Hopatcong)
Reedy, Matt 149 RS FR Hiram, Ohio (Ravenna)
Samson, Tim 197 SO Toledo, Ohio (Whitmer)
Schecter, Aaron 197 RS FR Olmsted Falls, Ohio (Olmsted Falls)
Schuth, Erik 184 SO Spencerport, N.Y. (Brockport)
Silvers, Tim 125 FR Eaton, Ohio (Eaton)
Speelman, Josh 141 FR Mansfield, Ohio (Madison)
Star, Zach 197 RS FR Cincinnati, Ohio (Sycamore)
Tucker, Clay 157 JR Martins Ferry, Ohio (Martins Ferry)
Weinkam, Tommy 165 RS FR Cincinnati, Ohio (Moeller)
Wilson, Steve 165 FR Marion, Ohio (Marion Pleasant)
Wrage, Dylan 189 FR Janesville, Iowa (Waverly-

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

Wow!!!!!! That is strange??? Josh Horn wrestling 155?????? <crazy>

All kidding aside, does anybody know if this is a common occurence for the Bobcats or is this "just one of those years"? On the other hand though, you really have to be optomistic of your program given the youth, but also the names on that list.

Does anybody know if the juniors are the starters for their respective weight classes?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

Ethan Moore wrote up a great preview for the Bobcats which is front and center on the OhioWrestling.Net home page now.

Thank you.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Does anybody know if the juniors are the starters for their respective weight classes?"

I would think if Tucker can get to 157 he will be the starter, as well as Ison at 174.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

Ethan hit a lot of the highlights in the preview. I think what is important to note is that Greenlee is doing a good job of recovering after having multiple "flame-outs" a few years back.

The depth is back in the program, and there is some quality. I think they'll be gunning for third in the MAC, probably ahead of Northern Illinois - behind Kent and obviously Central.

125- Mashkow
133- Keyes
141- Lindsey
149- Reedy
157- Tucker
165- Weinkam
174- Ison/Purdue
184- Schuth
197- Powell
285- Hartshorn

I would say that Reedy and (especially) Weinkam come in as immediately competitive nationally after redshirt seasons - i.e. nationally top 20. Obviously - Lindsey, Tucker, and Ison are pretty proven already; and could see the bottom portions of the national top 20.

Do I see an AA in March 2009? Probably not. Is this something to build upon going forward into 2010 and such? Heck yes.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

OU has a nice young group in the room. While the starting lineup may struggle a bit (or may surprise), the depth is tremendous. OU is set up for several years with their current roster. Hopefully it all unfolds well (meaning half these guys don't quit/flunk out or get hurt in the next two years).

Nice job Ethan. You make me want to watch this team compete.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 8, 2008

Hank - thanks.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Retention is key. To a lesser publicized extent, I think Coach Greenlee dealt with the same issues Coach Hellickson dealt with his last few years at OSU. A couple of classes of kids who fit the profile of a top notch college athletes while in HS (solid citizen, good grades, quality wrestling credentials) but call it bad luck or something else, there were a lot of kids who hung 'em up.

Having a couple classes like this in a row can cripple a team with such limited scholarship resources.

I think Coach Greenlee saw the big picture and was able to remove some negative people from the team for the long term good, even though it cost him a coupe tough seasons. Although last year was a struggle, I was impressed with the way the red shirts attacked the season (wrestling 25+ matches) and the way the young talent competed for the varsity line up (Keyes, Lindsey, Schuth, etc). Their performance at the MAC to casual observer would not seem impressive, but they reversed a TON of in season results indicating solid improvement and a good attitude. The current group has tremendous leadership and citizens in kids like Reedy, Weinkam, and Lindsey.

What we ALL should root for is to have four top 20 D1 teams in Ohio. Hopefully this will happen soon.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Hank - thanks.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Retention is key. To a lesser publicized extent, I think Coach Greenlee dealt with the same issues Coach Hellickson dealt with his last few years at OSU. A couple of classes of kids who fit the profile of a top notch college athletes while in HS (solid citizen, good grades, quality wrestling credentials) but call it bad luck or something else, there were a lot of kids who hung 'em up.

Having a couple classes like this in a row can cripple a team with such limited scholarship resources.

I think Coach Greenlee saw the big picture and was able to remove some negative people from the team for the long term good, even though it cost him a coupe tough seasons. Although last year was a struggle, I was impressed with the way the red shirts attacked the season (wrestling 25+ matches) and the way the young talent competed for the varsity line up (Keyes, Lindsey, Schuth, etc). Their performance at the MAC to casual observer would not seem impressive, but they reversed a TON of in season results indicating solid improvement and a good attitude. The current group has tremendous leadership and citizens in kids like Reedy, Weinkam, and Lindsey.

What we ALL should root for is to have four top 20 D1 teams in Ohio. Hopefully this will happen soon."

From top to bottom, that is an excellent post. Solid, even.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on October 9, 2008

Speaking with the coaches, they love this team. Despite some results from the past couple of years, Greenlee and staff have been doing all the right things. And that can be applied to academics and athletics. This is a hard working, classy team that will continue to improve for years to come. I cannort wait to watch them in action. Great article Ethan.

► Add to the Discussion