Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestle-Offs Thursday night!
Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on October 12, 2008

is anyone half as excited as me?!!? <smile>

Personally, I'm most excited for Nemec v. Johnstone..also Gardner v. Weakley and CoMo v. Hiles.

let's get this season started! <sign_oh>

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 12, 2008

Do you know what time they start?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Maggie,
Yes, I'm just as pumped as you are! Can't wait to see the Nemec/Johnstone match!

Jack,
I'm pretty sure the match starts at 8pm. You should probably get there by 7 or so if you're planning on sitting anywhere close to the floor. Last year's attendance was excellent and I'm sure it will only get better coming off their runner-up finish at last year's NCAA's. <sign_oh>

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

I watched Ohio States preliminary wrestle off yesterday. NC don't have to wrestle off and returning national qualifyers get a bye to the finals. The final wrestle off is scheduled for 10/16 and is open to the public. Here is some of what I saw.

Updates from the preliminary wrestle off:
125-Harrington beat Henry in a competitive match. Touris over Zamaria in a tight match. Harrington over Touris.
133-Didn't see to much. I believe Schaefer won his first match and looks to be improved.
149-Kusar handled Messerall and I believe eventually got the fall.
157-Nemec was brutal against Heasley (I think).
165-Sponseller by fall. Campbell over A.J.? in a good match.
174-Rella roughs up ODU transfer (sorry can't remember his name) after giving up the first takedown. Rella looked very big. Magrum over Sanders in a match that Magrum controlled. Magrum is sporting a sweet russian beard .
197-Weakley wins with a double leg fest. Gardner with lots of turns then the fall against Cook. Gardner looks lean and kind of "bookwormish" (I has never seen him before).
285-Hiles by fall over Stolarsky. Morrison looked tough against Walsh.

Here are the matchups for Thursday I think:

125-Triggas vs. Harrington- Lots of depth here. Harrington beat state champ Henry and state champ/Fargo AA Touris in the prelims. Triggas won by fall in last years wrestle off vs. Harrington and will be heavily favored here.

133-Hump vs. Schaefer- Hump is the man at this weight. Schaefer has been in the room for several year and has shown improvement, but is not on Hump's level.

141-Jaggers will be the guy. National Champs don't have to wrestle off.

149-Palmer vs. Kusar-Kusar handled fellow freshman Messerall pretty easily and looks enormous for this weight. Palmer should handle him but he looks to be a possible "diamond in the rough" for the Bucks.

157-Johnstone vs. Nemec-The most anticipated wrestle off of the night. Contrast in styles with the slick senior Johnstone and freshman brute Nemec. Nemec was very intense in the prelims and his opponents payed the price.

165-Sponseller vs. Campbell-Campbell spot started last year when Spoon was hurt and looked outclassed against Big 10 competition. He looks greatly improved this year but Colt should take it to him regardless.

174-Rella vs. Magrum-Rella will be heavily favorite but should not sleep on the slimmed down Cody Magrum. I would assume Rella will be too much for him this year but this could be hotly contested next year if Magrum holds the weight.

184-Mike P.

197-Gardner vs. Weakley- An other contrast in styles between the technician Gardner and the explosive John Weakley. I had not seen Gardner much before yesterday and was very impressed. Weakley still has a redhsirt to burn.

285-Morrison vs. Hiles-Both guys looked impressive in their prelims. Anyone who expects the Corey Mo of 2 years ago is going to be very suprised. Morrison is bigger and his technique looks to be light years from where it was. I'm saying it now Morrison handles big John and goes on to AA this year.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Will there be any video replay (Big Ten, internet, Matside)? I will be out of town for work.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

I'm glad to see Gardner made 197. He was at 285. at VTech, and 215 in HS.
I'm hoping they redshirt Weakley & let Gardner wrestle, but we'll see. I'm pumped up for Thurs. matches. Maybe Flowrestling will tape some of the matches?? I hope, also, that 174 is a better fit for Dave Rella. Sometimes moving up can have a big effect on one's performance i.e. Keaton Anderson going from 149 to 157 a few years ago.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Quote from Greg Debbe's post:

"Will there be any video replay (Big Ten, internet, Matside)? I will be out of town for work."

Or perhaps will Flo be there?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

It has come to my attention that I may have been spreading some misinformation. Ohio State has no policy preventing wrestlers from challenging national champs in a wrestle off. It is my understanding that there will be no wrestle off at 141 or 184 on Thursday but wrestlers could have challenged the incumbant but chose not too. Also, it was posted on another site that Ambrose beat Campbell and will be challenging Sponseller. I am pretty sure I saw Campbell win one prelim but perhaps I missed his second match. Sorry about the confusion. GO BUCKS!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Off with your head, Scott!!!

Anywho...I, too, cannot wait for Thursday night!

Mickey's will be rockin' karaoke style!!!

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I watched Ohio States preliminary wrestle off yesterday. NC don't have to wrestle off and returning national qualifyers get a bye to the finals. The final wrestle off is scheduled for 10/16 and is open to the public. Here is some of what I saw.

Updates from the preliminary wrestle off:
125-Harrington beat Henry in a competitive match. Touris over Zamaria in a tight match. Harrington over Touris.
133-Didn't see to much. I believe Schaefer won his first match and looks to be improved.
149-Kusar handled Messerall and I believe eventually got the fall.
157-Nemec was brutal against Heasley (I think).
165-Sponseller by fall. Campbell over A.J.? in a good match.
174-Rella roughs up ODU transfer (sorry can't remember his name) after giving up the first takedown. Rella looked very big. Magrum over Sanders in a match that Magrum controlled. Magrum is sporting a sweet russian beard .
197-Weakley wins with a double leg fest. Gardner with lots of turns then the fall against Cook. Gardner looks lean and kind of "bookwormish" (I has never seen him before).
285-Hiles by fall over Stolarsky. Morrison looked tough against Walsh.

."

at 165- I believe you're referring to A.J. Agazarm..a jr. transfer.
and Magrum's beard is large and in charge!!

Go Buckeyes!

Joe Reamer added to this discussion on October 13, 2008

Who did Weakely beat in his pre-lim match? And what was the score if you could?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 14, 2008

I know Weakley was scheduled to wrestle the Crowley/Jontony winner. Scott, would you happen to know the score???

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on October 14, 2008

I know some of you have been present at Ohio State practices, I was wondering as to whether or not wrestlers who will be competing against one another for a starting spot go live very often with one another in the room. For example would Johnstone and Nemec or Gardner and Weakley steer clear of one another before wrestle-offs? Thanks.

John Ice added to this discussion on October 14, 2008

From OhioStateBuckeyes.com

Ohio State Wrestling Fans and Friends,
We would like to invite you to our varsity wrestle offs this Thursday at 7:45 pm in St. John Arena. Admission is free so come out to see our Buckeyes battle it out for a spot in the starting lineup of the team that will make a run at the National Tittle this season. The matchups are listed below.

125 lbs
Pat Harrington vs Nikko Triggas

133 lbs
Owen Schaefer vs Reece Humphrey

J Jaggers has no chalengers

Jared Kusar vs Lance Palmer

Jason Johnstone vs Sean Nemec

Colt Sponseller vs Ross Ambrose

Dave Rella vs Cody Magrum

Mike Pucillo has no chalengers

John Weakly vs Cody Gardener

Corey Morrison vs John Hiles

We look forward to seeing you Thursday.

Go Bucks!

Last edited by John Ice on October 14, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 14, 2008

I haven't been to the practices when they live wrestle this year. From what I have seen in the past though, it seems that each wrestler has "their" partner. It's not that someone is avoided as much as it is a routine or comfort. You drill with a certain guy a couple times and he begins to know the right amount of pressure to give and which direction you are heading.

My guess is they might go live every now and again, but those goes are probably few and far between.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next