Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Wrestle-Offs Thursday night!
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 14, 2008

I did not see the Weakley score as I was watching Gardner vs. Cook during the match. I seem to remember Weakley getting off a couple big doubles (shocker). Also, I have seen several people post that they are concerned with 197. I am not. Gardner's technique is outstanding and he just seems to have great mat presence. There is a reason this guy was the #1 recruit in the nation. Strangley, he didn not seem particularly big or sucked down at 197 (I have a hard time seeing him as ever being a heavyweight). Again, Weakley looked bigger and better than the previous year but I think Gardner's your guy.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on October 15, 2008

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

", Weakley looked bigger and better than the previous year but I think Gardner's your guy."

I agree. Not only with the comparison of the two wrestlers..but I have seen Weakley on campus..he's a monster!! It's sure got the fixings to be an amazing night!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 15, 2008

Not disagreeing because I haven't been to a practice but it is often talked about that people go to a certain school for the workout partners. I would think Weakley and Gardner only benefit from going at it.

If I wasn't watching my 10 and 3 year old girls and my wife was in town I would drive down. I really like what the Buckeyes are doing with events like this.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

OhioStateBuckeyes.com has reported two large changes in tonights match-ups. At 157lbs. Jason Johnstone will no longer face Sean Nemec but will contend against A.J. Agazarm. They did not report why Nemec is not wrestling. Also at 285 Johnny Hiles will no longer face Corey Morrison, instead Hiles will face fellow freshman Pat Walsh. All they reported is that Corey is unable to wrestle.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87728&SPID=10403&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1604436

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Supposedly Morrision has an exam so school is the reason he isn't going tonight.Nemec-Johnstone was going to be the match of the night.Would love to know why Sean isn't wrestling tonight.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Tonight's Lineup

125: Nikko Triggas v. Pat Harrington
* Last year Triggas dominated Harrington after talk behind the scenes that Harrington might win.

133: Reece Humphrey v. Brian Kelly
* Humphrey, a match away from being an All-American last year, faces Kelly, a true freshman from New Albany.

141: No Match
* Jaggers gets a bye because he was a national champion

149: Lance Palmer v. Jared Kusar
* Palmer is a two-time All-American. Kusar was a three-time state placer.

157: Jason Johnstone v. A.J. Agazarm
* Johnstone versus Nemec was supposed to be the big match of the night, however Nemec will not be wrestling because of an undisclosed injury. Instead Johnstone will face Agazarm in his first action as a Buckeye. Agazarm wrestled in high school in Florida and has trained in MMA.

165: Colt Sponseller v. Ross Ambrose
* Sponseller will be in the hunt for a national championship this year.

174: Dave Rella v. C.J. Magrum
* This is an interesting match as Rella is the veteran national qualifier up from 165 while Magrum is the talented youth - a three-time state champion - coming down from 189.

184: No Match
* Pucillo gets a bye because he was a national champion

197: Cody Gardner v. John Weakley
* This will be the best match of the night. Weakley is the returning starter but was only a true freshman last year and could redshirt. Gardner was a true freshman at Virginia Tech last year and redshirted after being a four-time Virginia high school state champion and the #1 recruit in the nation.

285: John Hiles v. Pat Walsh
* Corey Morrison, who started at this weight class in 2006-2007, will not be competing here because he has an exam. Instead Hiles will face Walsh in a battle of true freshmen. Hiles was a three-time Ohio high school state placer who was a national champion in Junior Greco-Roman as well as an All-American in Junior Freestyle and at the NHSCA Senior Nationals. Walsh was a prep school national champion and a former state champion in Massachusetts.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Did we confirm whether or not there will be someone videotaping this event? I've got midterms from 5:30 to 9:30 tonight and will not be able to attend.

John Ice added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Is Corey Morrison in your class?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Is Corey Morrison in your class?"

Hilarious!!!!!!!!! Well done. <thumbsup>

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

Actually...you'd be surprised, I thought I saw someone very familiar in that class, and it could have been Corey. It's a business marketing class for non-business majors.

Mike Vash added to this discussion on October 16, 2008

does anyone have the scores

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 17, 2008

don't remember exact scores but this is what I saw:

125-Harrington got the first takedownbefore being reversed by Triggas. I believe it was a 2-2 match going into the 3rd period (although Triggas had riding time). Triggas was close to turning him with an arm bar earlier and finally got a couple turns in the 3rd period. I believe the final was 9-2 with the riding time.

133-Hump wrestled Brian Kelly (not Schaefer as was initially reported). Reece showed off some different things in his arsenal including a couple low singles and a nice lift from the claw (we don't call it an Iowa ride here in Buckeye country). Hump won by tech or pin.

149-Kusar shocked everbody by getting the first takedown but this only seemed to piss off Palmer. Palmer escaped and immediately score a takedown off a double and went to work. Palmer brutalized Kusar from the top and also scored several more takedowns. To Kusars credit he continued to wrestle hard but I believe Palmer eventually got the tech (or close too it).

157-It was indeed Johnstone who wrestled the MMA guy A.J.. Johnstone looked slick on his feet scoreing with that slideby and also using the slideby and dropping to a double. On top Johnstone score with numerous cradles and I think eventually got the tech.

165-Sponseller looked good also he continues to have trouble getting out of the gate and gave up an early takedown to Ambrose. ONce Sponseller picked up steam he dominated.

174-This was the best wrestle off of the night imo. Magrum scored several early takedowns and wrestled well before Rella's pressure overwhelmed him. I thought Magrum looked very sucked down at 174 and would be suprised to see him hold it (I think a redshirt year at 184 is more likely). I also disagree with Rella being fat and thought he looked big.

197-Weakley and Gardner were very conservative for most of this match. Both got out quick from bottom and there were honestly about 2 shots taken the entire match (both by Weakley). Gardner scored on a go behind late off Weakley's shot but did ride him for almost a minute.

285-Hiles was too big and good for Walsh (who really looks like a 197 wrestling up). Hiles seems to be much better when he is attacking and I'm sure TOmmy will have him doing that. I still thing Morrison wins this spots fairly convincingly.

Last edited by Scott Nicola on October 17, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 17, 2008

I thought Reece looked in great shape. Last year the weight cutting seemed to affect his conditioning in the latter periods, but he looks like he's lean and only needs to maintain, not cut anymore. There doesn't look like any holes in the lineup, and we have some decent backups at most of the weights. The next couple of weeks, with the open tournaments, will be interesting.

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on October 17, 2008

the Freshman Reece wrestled was Brian Kelly, he's from New Albany, Ohio...and Johnstone's dude A.J.'s last name is Agazarm. Go Buckeyes!!

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 22, 2008

Quote from Greg Debbe's post:

"Will there be any video replay (Big Ten, internet, Matside)? I will be out of town for work."

Matside requested permission to shoot the event but Big Ten Network via OSU Sports Information Department denied our request. Big Ten Network will only allow 2 minute broadcast of film of any Big Ten event. It seems the wrestle off is treated same as football spring game, an official event.

Not sure what Matside programming will be this year but it will not include any Ohio State events in their total as in past 20 years. Ohio State was the major feature of Matside over the years so it will be interesting how or if the hole is filled. I have been trying to get Bob to go each week to different college wrestling duals around the state this year but only thing happen was he kept on winning the golf matches while at same time kept saying not interested.

Nice to know Greg that someone is thinking of Matside for their wrestling entertainment.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2