Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Does NCAA need a 215?
Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

I wonder if the NCAA is considering adding a weight class to college wrestling. I was looking at the NWCA national championship and they already have an eleventh weight division at 235. So there is a precedent. The 157 from Miami and the 197 from Toledo were national champs!

Isn't it time for a 210-215 weight class? There are too many guys caught between 197 and heavy. Guys like Koz, Goff, Morrison, Bergman, and Fendone could really benefit from wrestling in that range. It would also be nice for guys who like to compete at the olympic 211weight class. There could also be a seven pound weight gap in the lower and middle weight classes. Some of those guys are stuck in between weights as well. This would help tOSU especially. Maybe that's why I thought of it. Dual meets would also be more fun to watch. They are over too quickly if you ask me.

P.S. I sure wish the Olympics would go back to 8 or 10 weight classes. There are so many great wrestlers who don't get to compete because there are only so many spots. And most of them don't get to compete near their natural weights. Just wishing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

Well... yes and no.

Yes, it would be great to have a weight class like that to curb the big jump from 197 to 285.

No, if you look at the numbers we have, it wouldn't make sense unless more opportunities were given.

Stu Herman added to this discussion on July 17, 2007

Jumping onto Dan's comment a little, I don't think it would fly simply because of the funding problems that currently exist. Expanding the sport is something most universities have no interest in right now, as is evident from the cut at Oregon (which I imagine is one of the higher grossing athletic departments in NCAA sports with their football and basketball success as well as the Nike funding).

Would it be good for the sport though? Absolutely.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

No matter what we may think from a wrestling persepctive, as a matter of practicality, it's not happening.

Not with scholarship structures being the way they are.
Not with roster caps in place at many programs (Title IX, budgets, etc).
Not with the NCAA tournaments having limits on participants the way they do (in DI - the cap is 330 participants across 10 weights).

Sure, from a wrestling perspective, some sort of "gap weight" - probably 220-230 range - would do good.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

I think that it just isn't needed. I think it makes it that much more special to be at 220 and win heavy like Rowlands did a few years back. I think that the 10 weights now are just right and we have great competition. Adding another weight just dilutes everything among the weights.

Like Josh said it just wouldn't work out with the logistics of how everything is situated.

► Add to the Discussion