Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OU Green-White match
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 1, 2008

There are a few projected starters not wrestling, but still should be some interesting matches. Matches start at 1 PM today.

125 - Mashkow vs. Ciccarello
133 - Allen vs. Boing (Keyes the incumbent)
141 - Lindsey vs. Morton
149 - Reedy vs. Christensen (important match to see how these two stack up early in the season)
157 - Kline vs. Fennell (Tucker the incumbent)
165 - Garcia vs. Weinkam
174 - Purdue vs. Wilson (Ison the incumbent)
184 - Driscoll vs. Schuth (was hoping to see Wrage wrestle Schuth)
197 - Iammarino vs. Wrage (was hoping to see Powell)
285 - Samson vs. Hartshorn

I see 125, 149, 197 and maybe 285 as matches of consequence to determine line up pecking order. Several potential starters sitting this out.

This always marks a great event, at every school, for true freshmen to get a taste of college wrestling. Should be fun.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 1, 2008

Lot's of young talent, it will be interesting to see how they match up. I used to follow the Bobcats pretty closely when I was in college and they had some very tough squads (Noble, Enright, Kimble, Calhoun, Gardner were all tough). I live in Columbus now and see alot of Buckeye matches. I would love to see OU return to prominence. Here are my thoughts about the guys I know (again I haven't followed the Bobcats that closely lately).

125 - Mashkow vs. Ciccarello-I know Mashcow was a good recruit from out of state. Ciccarello a multiple time state placer. It seems most favor Mashkow in this match.
133 - Allen vs. Boing (Keyes the incumbent)-Keyes has had some success in the past at this level. Boing always had huge wins during the year only to falter at the Schott (it will be interesting to see how he progressed).
141 - Lindsey vs. Morton-The Cats found a good one in Lindsey. I see him as a future AA if he continues to progress. Morton is a really good kid who did'nt start wrestling until hs. I can't believe Morton is that big after being a 119 his senior year.
149 - Reedy vs. Christensen (important match to see how these two stack up early in the season)-I was really impressed with Reedy his senior year and thought he would do well at the next level. I guess we will see.
157 - Kline vs. Fennell (Tucker the incumbent)-Tucker is a stud but it's seems a bit inconsistent. Kline is a hard worker and has good chops coming out of HS.
165 - Garcia vs. Weinkam-I seem to remember Weinkam having some early sucess but I am not sure haw he ended up.
174 - Purdue vs. Wilson (Ison the incumbent)-Lots of talent at this weight. Purdue and Wilson both HS state champs. Ison had the least credential coming in but has had nice sucess in college.
184 - Driscoll vs. Schuth (was hoping to see Wrage wrestle Schuth)-Don't know much about these guys. Is it possible that Purdue moves up to challenge (wasn't he a hs 189)
197 - Iammarino vs. Wrage (was hoping to see Powell)-Where is Powell?
285 - Samson vs. Hartshorn-I think Hartshorn is going to end up being a monster.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 2, 2008

Impactful results:

Mashkow over Ciccarello in a major. I think OU will have a solid 25 for the first time in a few years.

Reedy over Christensen. Christensen is the returning MAC runner up.

Wrage over Iammarino. Of note, Wrage won the freshman division of the EMU open Sat night. Apparently he, along with a few other true freshmen, then made the drive back to Athens to wrestle early Sunday. Does this make him the front runner to start? Not sure, but I think he was a good find for Greenlee.

http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/110208aab.html

125: Mashkow (G) md. Ciccarello (W), 14-5 Green 4-0

133: Boing (W) dec. Allen (G), 4-1 Green 4-3

141: Lindsey (G) dec. Morton (W), 3-2 Green 7-3

149: Reedy (G) dec. Christensen (W), 6-4 Green 10-3

157: Kline (G) wins by forfeit Green 16-3

165: Weinkam (W) wins by forfeit Green 16-9

174: Purdue (G) pins Wilson (W) in 1:09 Green 22-9

184: Schuth (W) tf. Driscoll (G), 15-0 Green 22-14

197: Wrage (W) dec. Iammarino (G), 2-1 Green 22-17

285: Hartshorn (W) dec. Samson (G), 5-3 Green 22-20

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 2, 2008

Wrage seems like a solid find. Won the EMU Open as I recall on Saturday, beats Iammarino on Sunday. If you're Ohio, I think you would like to see where Powell is in terms of matching to Wrage - before burning a year on Wrage.

Mashkow's a credible 125.

For Reedy to beat a returning starter is a positive sign. Don't recall how strong 149 in the MAC was last year - the weight didn't get a wild card. I do know that the Central kid who won the weight made the round of 12.

Weinkam's a kid who had a great redshirt year, and I think is the type that will emerge in college better than his high school years.

In high school, Boing had the dubious accomplishment of going 0-3 in semifinals at state. Lost in the quarters his senior year.

Bobcats are young but have competitive starters across the board.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

Wrage is a beast. I had the unpleasant experience of working out with him this summer. My back has still not recovered. (Does that mean I am getting old?)

I think they are going to be very competitive this year. Every weight class has a top notch guy in it. Should be a fun year.

► Add to the Discussion