Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nice Showing in Buffalo
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 2, 2008

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/221

Here's a writeup/results from Kevin Schlosser's fine website.

Buckeye placers:

125: Triggas 2nd
133: Humphrey 1st, Ian Paddock (recruit) 3rd, Garret Henry 4th
149: Jared Kusar 3rd
157: Johnstone 1st, Nemec 3rd
165: Sponseller 1st
174: Rella 1st, Magrum 2nd
197: Gardner 1st, Cook 5th
285: Morrison 1st, Hiles 6th

Buckeye transfers (Rella, Gardner) and recent/future recruits (Paddock, Henry, Magrum, Hiles, Kusar) did great work. Too bad Tony Jameson is unable to go. When Collin Palmer arrives next year, it will be a nice boost. Ohio State has a growing level of depth. Early looks at Magrum make it appear he is going to be a big time addition to the program. Kusar another great late signing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

I agree it was a nice showing. Interesting that the 3 weights the Bucks did not have their starter competing were the 2 champs (Pucillo and Jaggers) and 2x AA Palmer. Here what I thought about other weights:

125-Triggas wrestled to his seed. I would have liked him to have been more competitive against Donahoe but he is young and still developing.

133-Sounds like Hump was pretty dominant at this weight. Interesting that Henry was here and it's good to see stud recruit Paddock show that he can run with the big boys. Was this wrestle off one of many that will determine the future of 133?

149-Looks like Kusar continues to impress. Is he eventually a 157?

157-I think Johnstone solidifies his status as the front runner. No shame in Nemec losing to Cocozzo (sp) who was a NQ last year at 149. By the score it seems like Johnstone handled him in the final.

165-Good to see Sponseller back on the winning track.

174-Rella wins as expected. Magrum with a good showing. It appears he will redshirt. Does anyone else think he potentially wrestles his rs year at 184 and eventually takes over for Mike P.

197-Gardner wins the title. I don't know the quality of the opponents but the matches seemed to be pretty close.

285-Morrison solidifies his spot and proves that he is a differnt wrestler than several years ago. It looks like CoMo was pretty dominant up until the finals. Hiles with a solid showing for a freshman at 6th.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

Johnstone fell behind 2-0 in the first period of the finals. He fought back with 2 nice ankle picks later in the match, plus some nice scrambling and riding. Nemec had trouble with Cocozzo's duck unders. He caught him twice, plus got ridden too long. Advantage Johnstone. This was where Jason's experience showed. I thought Gardner wrestled tough. He's not a flashy high scoring type of wrestler, but is a solid,methodical guy and a tough rider. Him and Rella fill the 2 holes they had last year quite well. Dave wrestled like the veteran he is. he will win a lot of matches this year. Considering J, Lance & Mike sat this one out, they had a nice showing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

It would have been nice to see Triggas more competitive with Donahoe but the latter is a former national champ and a very tough hombre in the top position. He also probably has big chip on his shoulder right now as various issues got him national ridicule as well as the boot from Nebraska. I wouldn't want to wrestle him at the moment.

Re-visiting the topic of 157 pounds, in fairness to Nemec, Johnstone had the advantage of getting looks at Cocozzo prior to wrestling him. As Jack pointed out, Cocozzo showed a mean Duck vs Nemec of which Johnstone was undoubtedly aware. Nemec also is stuck in a bit of a catch 22. Johnstone has wrestled so many top guys that he knows what they do. So he has the experience to compete better against them. Nemec can't become better without more experience but how do you get that experience if the guy you're competing with for a spot already has that working to his advantage when matching up against top guys? Barring injury, it's difficult to see Nemec taking over this spot in a full time capacity.

Magrum is in the same situation, but he has a red-shirt year to burn. Rella has faced the best in college wrestling and has experience on his side. If Nemec has to sit one year, and perhaps wrestle here and there, so be it. It's a nice "problem" to have. At least OSU has two quality backups at those weights should they need them. It's a long season... <sign_oh> <sign_io>

P.S. This Ian Paddock is a real nice recruit. For a high school kid, he was impressive. He gave the tough Buffalo kid (second placer) a real good match in the semi's. <thumbsup>

Jack: I like the Bucks recruits very much. Add in Tony Jameson and Collin Palmer to the group they have and consider the possibilities.

Here's something to mull over. The hot rumor is that Mike Benefiel has left NW. If true, he is someone the Bucks should move heaven and earth to get.

What did you think of Weakley going heavyweight for the tournament? I was hoping he would stay at 197 should they need him, assuming he will red-shirt if Gardner stays healthy.

Does Benefiel project as a 174 or 184 and is he leaving?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

"Here's something to mull over. The hot rumor is that Mike Benefiel has left NW. If true, he is someone the Bucks should move heaven and earth to get.'

Hank, not so hot after all, Benefiel is enrolled right now at Northwestern U.

The hot rumor is that Mike Benefiel has left NW. If true, he is someone the Bucks should move heaven and earth to get .

Bob, hence the phrase, "if true."

I really like what the Bucks have done recruiting wise. They loaded up on Blue Chippers Coach Ryan's first year and have added keys pieces the last couple years through transfers and recruiting. I think next years class is shaping up to be a good one with headliners like Collin Palmer and Paddock and guys with big upside like Heflin and Vaughn. The Bucks will graduate alot of their guys that were big recruits coming out (and presumably tie up alot a scholarship money) just in time to sign the next big crop of Blue Chippers (ie. Phillips).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 3, 2008

Scott...Mike Phillips has eligibility left!?!?!?!?! Or did you mean another Phillips?

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on November 4, 2008

Sounds like the plan with Weakley is to keep him a small heavyweight so he retains the ability to drop to 197 this season. John didn't weigh much more than 210 on Sunday. With nine stitches above his eye he may or may not wrestle next weekend.

Keeping in mind it was the Buffalo Open, when was the last the time an OSU wrestling team had thirty guys in the same tournament? When was the last time they had twenty-nine wrestlers with a win in the same tournament? With three All-Americans out they could have had a finalist at every weight as well.

Yesterday got a little hectic, but I did manage to get up a note and quote book as well as a small photo gallery. There are also some short interviews with Garrett Henry, Reece Humphrey, Jason Johnstone, Colt Sponseller, Dave Rella, and John Hiles. The-Ozone also put up their article on the UB Open as well.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on November 4, 2008

Video of the Buffalo Open finals matches have been posted on flowrestling.

► Add to the Discussion