Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Top Individuals in Central Ohio DI
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2008

Central District 2008-2009

Top Individuals in Central Ohio

Of the 20 state placers DI Central OH produced last year, 13 of them return. That’s 65%! …more than half, even!!! Of those 13, I think some wrestlers have a better shot at making the finals – or moving up the podium – than others do. I like Demas (WN), Dilley (L), Marsh (M), Rice (HDav) and Sasfy (RB) to finish high. The biggest problem is that four out of five of those wrestlers could very well end up in the same weight class! Sasfy is the only one separated from that group but even then, he could wind up with Palmer (SE), which isn’t the best of options to have!

Of the remaining placers, there is no reason to think they won’t repeat as top-8. Guys like Sanders (SC), Languis (DS), Crabtree (HD), Cook (RB) and Marysville teammates McCombs and Weeks; they all have the potential to make gains. That leaves both Few (RB) and Boehm (WM). While both have had plenty of experience at the Schott, the next time they go they could be up two or three weight classes, and that move up has the potential to stymie the climb up the podium.

Now for the wrestlers that qualified for the Show, but failed to place: the first, Austin Sanders (CC). I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this kid hasn’t placed at the state tournament. Next up is Trevante Pitts (HD) and Charlie Hill (MV). Both of these are solid kids from solid programs with solid coaching. All three, Sanders, Pitts and Hill, are seniors and I look forward to watching their swan songs. Next is Brandon Burkett (WN). This kid had the 2nd best February in the Central District last year (behind Marsico (PN), and 3rd if you include Beverly (WCar)). One great summer could push him over the edge. Next up are Drake (UA) and Grandominico (O). These two are both tough as nails and it does amaze me that neither placed last year. I think both have the potential to place this year – and based on their summer routines – I believe they will. Junior Alex Gordon will do well at the Schott for the Dublin Scioto Irish. The thing about these last three guys is that 140 and 152 lost 24 of the 32 competitors from last year! They will fill the vacuum and do so in solid fashion.

Some other names from Central Ohio that made the Schott but failed to place but are very good are Brankamp (TW), Nelson (GM) and Caldwell (MF). All three guys are good and they all were able to either beat, or place higher than a state placer in common tournaments (…other than the state tournament, obviously!).

This next segment I have dubbed “the Sleepers”. These are the guys that missed the cut last year but are good and should not be overlooked. When you hear some of these names, you’ll agree. Nein (RB) – district placer last year, losing the go-to match by a takedown. Will (PN) also a district placer, should fill the shoes of Marsico at 112. If either is at 103 this year, it could spell success at the Schott. J. Kunzi (WM): district semi-finalist but loses to a stout Millar (HDav) in the go-to match. Another name; Bivenour (O), he lost to eventual district champ by one point in the quarter-finals.
Moving up the weight classes you have Nelson (GH); incredibly strong and, as a senior, is hungry. Two other lower mid-weights… Darnell (TV) and Frost (UA). Both have great partners and will only get better as the season progresses. One other name that cannot go unannounced is Channel (CC). His season ended prematurely last year and he has worked hard all summer to ensure that his senior season ends in March!
Moving up the weight classes you have Smith (HDav). This kid is lights out and took advantage of some fantastic opportunities this summer. Rhyman (MF) is another wrestler to watch for come February. He has an awkward knack of during defense into 5 points! At 171 pounds you have three wrestlers in Bailey (GM), Brooks (DH) and Walker (HD) who are amazingly explosive and ready to turn the dream of the Schott into a reality!

Three other upper weights to keep an eye on are Oglesby (O), Maulkey (DC) and Schramm (CC).
Another heavyweight that came on the scene mid-way through last season was Smith (N). The kid is big, strong and can move.

And, to add to all of this, some incoming freshmen who are poised to make a name for themselves early in their high school career. (No need for the added pressure by listing their names…IMO)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion