Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: NC Open update
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 8, 2008

To echo Laurel's post, Kevin Schlosser on buckeyewrestling.com has said that Jags got his bell rung in his quarterfinal bout and was yanked from his semi match after showing signs of a concussion.

I remain impressed with Cody Gardner. What a nice pickup he has been for Ohio State. Also, look at the depth of this squad with wrestlers like Nemec, Hiles, Cook, Magrum, Kusar, Bergman and Henry all placing top four in various tourneys for Ohio State. And how much better will Ohio State be when Jameson, C. Palmer and Paddock are on board?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 8, 2008

Laurel, I know what you mean, after all the type of injuries J has suffered, a concussion is somewhat of a "relief". I 'm hoping Tom Ryan erred on the side of caution in this case and that it isn't a serious concussion. If memory serves me right, didn't J butt heads with Nathan Morgan? in a NCAA quarterfinal? match a few years ago? I could be wrong...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 8, 2008

Let's also hope nothing too serious happened to Corey Morrison. He's wrestling very well.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 9, 2008

Gang, let's not build this team up to be something that it may not be. The fields at the Buffalo Open and NC State Open are not superlative. We'll know much more on this squad with what they do in Las Vegas at the beginning of December.

It's certainly good news that they're doing well and winning matches though. But the key is to get in rhythm and have it going in March.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 9, 2008

Josh: This Buckeye squad will be very tough in duals with a lot of tourney upside. Speaking for myself, I'm aware that every wrestler in this lineup is not going to be an AA.

Having said that--I'm pleased to see Ohio State displaying dominance. There were many years in the past when they would have gone to these types of tourneys and we'd have scratched our heads at their performances. The Bucks won four titles yesterday without Pucillo or a healthy Jags. The teams in this tourney--ODU, NCState, VaTech, UTC and UNC--have plenty of multiple state champs in their lineups. Look at the kid who beat Triggas--former state champ and fargo placer who was overlooked as a senior due to injury. Sponseller beats two former Fargo runnerups and a 4x state champ in the finals. These are very capable opponents and it's early in the season--when upsets are more likely to happen. I'm especially heartened by the upperwts--Gardner and Morrison--who have one loss between the two of them in two tournies. That's a lot of production from what was perceived to be a weak link in the lineup.

I don't think Ohio State will win a national title. But I want to root for a team that wrestles hard and performs well on a consistent basis. So far that's what we've gotten out of Ohio State. It's a good start.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2