Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent State 197 Pounds
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2008

Let's review the weekend performance at this weight class:

Eric Chine, former MAC runnerup, 5th at Oklahoma Gold
Mike Blackwell, former MAC runnerup, 2nd at MSU Open
Keith Witt, finalist, MSU frosh/soph
Adam Cogar, finalist, MSU frosh/soph

That's one weight class and everyone placed. Chine and Blackwell graduate so Witt and Cogar can redshirt. But can one of these guys move up to 285 in the future. Cogar is very shot and Witt was 171 last year?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 10, 2008

I could see Cogar at heavy, given that he has been a 215 the last two years. The only issue being his build, I would guess he is 5'8 or so, built just like Matt Koz, so you have to wonder how well he would do at heavy. Yes, Matt Koz made the R12 his one season at heavy, but Cogar isn't Matt Koz, almost nobody is, and that build tends to be less successful in general.

Witt looks like a bread and butter career 197, he is starting to get exciting, especially with the opportunity to wrestle with Kilgore every day for four years. Do you just keep both Witt and Cogar at 197 and enjoy the depth? They do have Barlow at 285.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 10, 2008

Jim Andrassy discussed this on OWR. It looks as if Mike Blackwell, the returning starter, is the favorite to start this year but Eric Chine will be getting mat time at this weight class as well. Chine was unable to get his weight down to certify at 174 pounds (he competed at 184 pounds for the last four years but lost the wrestle-off to super freshman Dustin Kilgore).

Keith Witt, up from winning a high school D2 state title at 171 pounds, defeated Adam Cogar, two-time high school D1 runner-up at 215 pounds, in the intrasquad scrimmage at 197 pounds. It was an interesting result that I wanted to ask Andrassy about but we ran out of time.

Jim was a great guest. I'd love to have him on the show any time.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2008

I've said it before but Kent has recruited very well. In the last few years, they've added Bedelyon, Kilgore, Shuster, Skonieczny, Cogar and Witt. I think all these guys are going to be very successful college wrestlers.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 10, 2008

Dan,

Andrassy was great, very open and candid for a coach, it was great having him on.

I just still think that Cogar moves to heavy down the line with Witt emerging the way he has, but Barlow is there.

► Add to the Discussion