Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ashland Open results?
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 16, 2008

Not sure if anyone has access to results.

Thanks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Drumm added to this discussion on November 17, 2008

Still nothing online, but par for the course IMO as this was the MOST confusing and uncomfortable tournament at least for fans, and probably for some wrestlers. Brackets taped to the concrete wall with one piece of scotch tape- pages of brackets ended up blowing around aimlessly & missing. Good idea using scotch tape on a cold, damp, concrete wall in a wind tunnel. You would look at the wall for the bracket and then have to either look around on the floor or chase down the bracket just flowing through the air. Wrestlers not knowing when they are up- some still sleeping when they got there "3rd and final call" from the ref to show up on the mat.
Myself, like most others, didn't get the memo from Ashland Athletics about having to bring my own CHAIR to the tournament, but they were quick to charge $10 for the hospitable accomodations. I felt bad for the senior citizens jockying and playing musical chairs for a positon on the couple of bleacher seats. The only confortable place to sit in the Field House was on a section of pole vaulting mats, but these mats had plenty of signs posted stating "No Seating". Once I saw the seating situation as I walked into the Field House, I didn't even bother asking about buying a bracket sheet- none available anyway. As a consolation prize, for those that didn't get the memo about bringing your own SEAT, we at least got to sit on an all-weather track, it wasn't concrete. They should've gotten a Chiropractor to sponsor this tournament, instead of an Auto parts store- they would've made a killing. Very disappointed in AU, not in the wrestling. There was alot of great wrestling, if and when you could figure out who was wrestling.

Last edited by John Drumm on November 17, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 17, 2008

How was it confusing you were on the same mat all day? no running around one place all day. I think the resuts will be up within a day or two the IT guy is out sick.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 17, 2008

I found it quite easy for a fan to watch. Each weight was on a single mat all day. I didn't know about the chair either but most of the fans did (they must have been there in the past) as they were bringing them in by the armloads. As fortune would have it, I had two in my trunk that I was supposed to take out a month or so ago, so I sat and watched many matches in great comfort.

Ryan Lang was enjoyable to watch -- he competed at 157.

John Drumm added to this discussion on November 17, 2008

Tony & Brady:

I'm just calling it as I see it like the other folks sitting on the track on their numb butts and displaced vertebrae around me. I concede that it is nice to be able to see all of one weight class or two combined on a single mat. I went to watch 165, so I sat by the 165 mat, yet still couldn't tell a championship round from a consi round match because I forgot to bring my pen and paper and I haven't mastered forming virtual memory brackets in my cranium yet, but I wanted to see wrestlers like Cogar, Weekley, Ryan Lang, and others if i knew when they were wrestling.
You have to admit, Ashland can do a heck of a lot better that's all.
Discombobulation for participants and fans should be out of the equation for any wrestling function.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 17, 2008

John Drumm, I agree. I went to the open a couple of years ago and won't be going back for all the reasons you stated.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 18, 2008

The accomodations are what they are. If you wanted to know where someone was wrestling it was on the bracket which mat it was at. The fieldhouse is the only place the open can be held so we must deal with it. The wrestling there was great and thats the only thing that matters to most true wrestling fans.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 18, 2008

I liked the idea of one weight, same mat. At the Buffalo Open they announced the on-deck wrestlers, which is a great help in finding the wrestlers you want to see. The brackets at Ashland could be handled better. I don't even know if they sold them?? Most places have them for sale shortly after the competition begins.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on November 18, 2008

Unfortunately, the problems did carry over on to the mat. One wrestler that I know had to wrestle twice within 20 minutes because the first match was against the wrong wrestler. When the wrestler asked the official to check the bout sheet because he was sure that his opponent was the wrong opponent, he was assured that it was the correct bout. One weight, one mat means that they can't wait forever to wrestle the correct bout so, two matches in 20 minutes.

That kind of thing doesn't happen often at Junior High tournaments, let alone a collegiate tournament.

Not upset mind you, just helping to point out some things that need worked on.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on November 19, 2008

Here are the brackets! Match scores would have been nice.

http://webapps.ashland.edu/athletics/siteDocuments/stats/2008-15-harris.pdf

► Add to the Discussion