Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bobby Douglas back in Ohio
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on November 18, 2008

Bobby speaks about the condition of wrestling, what we need to do to improve our competitive level internationally, and the role "older" coaches need to play in the changing face of our sport. Very classy guy and well spoken. Still am a very big fan of this guy and would have loved to have wrestled for him back in my competitive years.
http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/speaker/1951-bobby-douglas/80482-wrestling-is-in-trouble

Mike

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on November 26, 2008

Great interview. Good discussion from financial view. I did not understand the "new face" element. I wonder if a question about the fan value would be part of the new face. I good question in the interview would be, is the entertainment value of the sport a part of the new face?

It seems FILA changes rules in attempt to provide more excitement for TV. Douglas would have our rules tweaked to better align with FILA. Yet when one watches the old guard of Schultz, Smith, Lewis, Mills and the like there was not 1-0 0-1 -1-0 as today. It was very exciting to watch those guys and still can be for many.

Is it rules or coaches that brought us to today? Is it the AD points for winning that bought us to the strategy of todays wrestling? Has this strategy entered college? It might have reached high school if the Ohio state finals is an indication of the future, ie get a two point lead and camp out. Some say it is all about winning. Well, there is only room for one winner. You do not win then the program goes away is what might follow.

On the other hand, let's take the College All-Star at St. John this week. How many matches did one see the attack continuously of the Shultz, Smith, Lewis, Mills. I could be biased but my memory said the only time the crowd was on their feet with excitement was the Colt match which ended 13-9 after Colt was down 9-2 and with a entire set of takedowns almost cam back with an upset of the #2 in the country. The only other match close to this was at 157 where the Cornell wrestler seemed to love wrestling with an Attack Continuously strategy, (The strategy of a Bob Dieli of Matside With Bod Dieli, I would like to point out.) The performance of the 157 Leen seemed to be contagious in reaching the crowd.

Is Attack Continuously the "new face" Bobby Douglas mentions and could the old guard bring it back? Before, I get misunderstood , the knowledgeable wrestling crowd enjoyed the wrestling in each weight class at the All-Star. No doubt. The question I would put to Bobby Douglas; Is the response of the crowd in St. John enough to save the sport? Is winning the Olympics enough to save the sport? Where would Douglas and his consultants put the general entertainment value of the sport on their priority list for saving the sport? Or would these consultants deemed current entertainment value adequate or even a non-issue not even making the list?

Great interview. Thanks for bringing it to the forum. Flowwrestling does get job for the sport.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 27, 2008

Mike: Thanks for bringing this interview to our attention. His comments about wrestling in the west and our future Olympic performances were jolting.

The problem as I see it is that we've heard this all before--yet nothing changes. Wrestling is stuck because we don't have a single leader that can make necessary changes. College wrestling has needed to change it's rules for fifty years yet we're still talking about it. Would getting rid of riding time and moving the sport to the spring be so difficult?

► Add to the Discussion