Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: I did it!!!
Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on November 20, 2008

I passed my hydration test and weighed below 103!!!
I'm so proud of myself. Now I can finally eat...

Last edited by Anthony Windsor II on November 26, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on November 20, 2008

I recommend you do not try to go down to a weight you have to manipulate the hydration test in order to get to. I say that knowing I wouldn't have listened to myself either when I was competing. Don't fall into that popular line of thinking that the lower you go the better you will compete. That is not usually the case. When I was at 152 lbs as a senior, I was undefeated at that weight and easily defeated 3 state qualifiers and a 2X state placer. When I sucked down to 145, I got gassed easier and lost the competitive advantage I had over everyone else..my conditioning. Have faith in your technique and wrestle a weight that you can remain hydrated at. Just my 2 cents. Probably not the advice you are looking for.

I respect what you are saying...
I just feel that since I'm a small 112, if I go to 103 then I will have a much better chance at making it to state...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 20, 2008

Anthony: I've watched your videos and your pretty good. You just need to tighten up your techniques on the things you do well, and work really hard. Cutting weight will kill your energy. Focus on technique. Develop a reshot and counter shot. Make sure you're confident on bottom. Have a plan for top position in all situations. And bust it each and every day in practice. If you work really hard, the confidence grows. Try and find a coach that will study your film with you, point out your mistakes and have you drill the correct responses to the situations.

Good luck.

Thank you...
I'm just over a pound away from my weight class and about 4 pounds from my goal by tuesday after practice...
I've worked pretty hard at it and really don't want to quit now

Erik Nell added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

Anthony,

The difficult thing about your situation is that there is not much room for you to loose anything, because you are already pretty small. What’s that old saying? You can’t squeeze blood out of a turnip. The only thing you’ll probably have to loose is water weight, and that is exactly what this test is designed for you not to do.

I coached a pretty good 103/112 pounder a couple years ago. His junior year he qualified for state at 103. In the off season following his junior year he trained, kept his weight down eying to make 103 again, there was just no way he was going to suck down and pass the hydration test. He went up to 112 and became a state placer. He now takes strength training seriously and can’t make 125lb’s in college. He is going up to 133 lbs with tons more energy.

My advice to small guys who think they are too small to move up, is don’t forget to strength train, especially in the off season. Technique and conditioning are very important, but strength training is just as important. Look how much David Taylor has grown, he was a very small 103lber, he works out like a mad man and probably walks around at about 140lb or so.

Condition, technique, and Strength train.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

Going down a weight class isn't always the answer... however if that's where your ideal shot is for making it to state, go through with it if it doesn't compromise your integrity or a good season.

There's been a track record of wrestlers bumping up and having success. Eric Tannenbaum and Steve Luke both jumped two weight classes and both wrestled in the NCAA finals. David Taylor moved up this year... hasn't seemed like a bad decision so far. Many others to add to that list, but a jump in weight class doesn't mean that you just eat and weigh whatever you want. Diligence with weight training is non negotiable and commitment to getting stronger is essential.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

I know for us guys in college it is tough to actually pass the hydration part. What I had to do was get about 3 pounds under a day before and then drink as much water as possible over the next 24 hours. Make sure you cut sodium out atleast 3 or 4 days in advance.

The night before I went to bed about on weight and throughout the night when I would wake up to go to the bathroom I would drink back whatever I lost. I went in the next day and passed, so it worked for me but the problem is everyone is different.

Joe Caprino added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

Cutting weight doesn't make you a better wrestler. Its technique, conditioning and heart.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

While I agree that cutting weight isn't always the answer, and often the next weight down is no easier than your current weight. The difference between 112 and 103 is huge. If you can legally make it, I'd say do it.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on November 21, 2008

Right now, I feel that I'm stronger than anyone close to my weight (112 or 103), so strength wasn't a question...
I just feel that 103 is the easier class out of the two and if I can get down there and just wrestle for the big tourny's (holiday, conference, sectionals) my chances at making state will increase significantly...

I thank all of you for your advice

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 22, 2008

Anthony-

Weightcutting. Often revisted in a different scenario and consequently one of wrestling's demons. I feel for you as does everyone who has posted on this topic. Since you are asking for help I will just offer information rather than advice as everyone must decide what is right or wrong for himself.

Weight cutting is not neccesarily a bad thing, especially when done in the right context and done responsibly. Everything that has been said is true. Weightcutting does affect energy levels and if done extremely and restriction of calories too great, then performance suffers. It sounds like you are lean and have made an obvious commitment to the sport. At this point in your life, your goal is to qualify for the state tournament and your logic is that you will be at a weaker weight class as it will give you a competitive advantage over your opponents. Some people can weather the weightcutting better than others, meaning that they maintain strength during the course of a season along with weightcutting better than others. There is no way to tell how your physiology will respond. You are in fact rolling the dice with cutting weight, especially if this is your first go around with true weight management. I have seen wrestlers on both sides of the issue have success and failure with weightcutting.

Many wrestlers are called tweeners as their true weight does not lend itself to standardized weight classes. (the weight where they are optimally fit and lean is between two weight classes) This is your first lesson in the real world that life is not necessarily fair or inclined for your objective because if it were then the weight would be i.e 106.

This is a very important distinction in your personal experience and will ultimately shape you in the person you become. You are realizing the extent to which you are willing to extend yourself for personal goal and achievement. It is a slick slope and I think the hydration tests that were put in place were done for good reasons as there should be no deaths from sport let alone weightcutting.

Cheating a test is cheating a test. Hydration test, aptitude test, drug test, civil servant test, mid-term test. They are not only tests of pass/fail but to that of character and morality.

I had to lay all that on you and I know that is a lot to process

I realize that kids today are under more pressure than ever to be successful in terms of achievement and that most of today's professional athletes set poor examples. It is human nature to take shortcuts but shortcuts usually have inherent problems. Some people get rewarded for taking shortcuts while others get caught.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on November 22, 2008

**Update**

Today was our scrimmage at Fairfield...

I weighed in at about 103.3 before I left. The first round I kinda missed the 103/112 kids (long story don't ask) so I had to wrestle with the 119/125 kids. I was able to hold my own against them and was even better than most of them.
When I went with the 103/112 kids for the next 2 rounds I pretty much showed that dropping weight wasn't making me a worse wrestler...
So now I'm determined to finish this thing...

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on November 27, 2008

Congrats. Passing your hydration test shows you can do it the healthy way. good luck to you and keep us all updated.

Mike Taylor
Cedar Rapids, IA

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 27, 2008

Nice job!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next