Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NWCA All-Star Match is 7:00 this Monday at St. Johns
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 23, 2008

Whether you are a Buckeye or simply a fan of great wrestling, you need to get down to St. Johns and check this out. This is an opportunity to view folk style wrestling at it's highest level. In numerous cases this match pairs the 2 top ranked wrestlers in the country in what could be a preview of the NCAA finals. Wrestlers who are getting amped up for the season, what better way to get started. Coaches who want their athletes to see the best get a group together and come check out the action. I will post a synopsis of the matchups when I'm done watching the Browns blow another 4th quarter lead.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 23, 2008

125 - Charlie Falck of Iowa takes on James Nicholson of ODU. Falk has shown improvement every year and is imo a favorite over Nicholson who was a suprise AA last year as a true freshman.
133 - Jayson Ness of Minnesota will have his first big test since moving up a weight in Kennedy. Ness seemed to be able to impose his will on 125's particularly from the top position and I don't see this happening with Kennedy. I'll take Kennedy in a mild upset.
141-Returning National Champ J Jaggers meets Iowa State AA Nick Gallick. Jaggers always steps it up for big matches and I think he will be ready to go. Gallick is tough but inconsistent and has been suceptible to the big move in the past. I think and inspired Jaggers gets the fall.
149-Love him or hate him, you have to respect Metcalf tenacity and attacking style. Caldwell pinned Metcalf in a spladle to give him his only loss last year. Caldwell was somewhat inconsistent last year but is explosive and had wins over Metcalf and DUstin Schlatter. I think Metcalf wins a match that is not that close.
157-I think returning National Champ Jordan Leen will match up with AA Cyler Sanderson. I see Leen slowing Sanderson down on his feet and riding him hard. Leen in a close one.
165-Nick Marable of Missouri and Mack Lewnes of Cornell should be interesting. #1 Ranked Marable already has a loss this year and Lewnes will push the pace. I take Lewnes but wouldn't be suprised to see Marable turn it around by NCAA.
174-Ohio boy and NCAA runner up Steve Luke matches up with Jay Borschel of Iowa. Borschel is one of many Hawkeyes who showed great improvement throughout the season. Despite his school affilitation I think this is Lukes year and see him beating Borchel. Borschel may get him once this year but I think Luke wins in front of the Ohio crowd and ultimately when it counts.
184 -Louis Caputo of Harvard meets Phil Keddy of Iowa with Mike Pucillo injured. I was really impressed with Keddy's improvement and toughness and I think he beats Caputo.
197 -Just like with Ness I think the adjustment to the higher weight is more likely to bother Varner early in the season particularly against a tough opponent like Hudson Taylor. I'll take Taylor in an upset.
285 -Jared Rosholt of Okie State has shown steady improvement since he joined the Cowboys. Kyle Massey gave Dustin Fox his only loss last year and will be a game opponent. I give the edge to Rosholt.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 23, 2008

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I will post a synopsis of the matchups when I'm done watching the Browns blow another 4th quarter lead."

The synopsis was good Scott, but I must have missed the Browns 4th quarter lead..or any lead today for that matter.

Ken Maltry added to this discussion on November 23, 2008

I see the event starts at 7, but when are the two exhibition matches being contested? Will they be after the other matches, or will they start at 6:30? I'm heading up from Cincy and I'd rather not miss the exhibitions.

Thanks.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 23, 2008

Caldwell has wrestled very well this year. Metcalf and Caldwell will be very close. A Caldwell win would not shock me at all esp. in an all star meet.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on November 24, 2008

If you are a Browns fan..... I would compare Brent Metcalf to Franco Harris or Mean-Joe Greene from the Steelers. You sort of hate them in a way when they are up against your favorite... yet you are fascianted by their dominance. Being from Ohio, I rooted for Schlatter or Palmer to beat him head to head, but always ackowledged that he is pretty amazing. And when he is up against anyone else - I'm cheering for him. He is just so brutal and crushingly strong. His coniditioning is at a level that seems 25% higher than any other D I athlete in his weight - which is a testament to a scary combination of the following: #1) incredible work #2) freaksih genetics.

If either one of these were missing, he would not be able to dominate the way he does. Most athletes (if they are lucky), have only one or the other.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 24, 2008

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/269

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

Tough night for the Buckeyes. Great wrestling all around.
125-Lots of scrambles between Falk and Nicholson. Nicholson looked banged up after the match.
133-I thought Ness looked overmatched at first on his feet but was impressed by how he battled back evn in defeat.
-Baker pushed the pace of the match against Hump.
141-Jaggers match turned with the nearfall in the funky cradlesque maneuver. From where I was sitting it looked like Jaggers was on the verge of a reversal and then he was on his back.
149-Very intense hand fighting and head snaps early on and at one point it looked they were boxing. Metcalf is a relentless machine. Nice show of sportmanship by Metcalf helping Caldwell up after pounding him.
157-Leen looked impressive. He is a punishing leg rider and never seems to get out of position on top.
165-Marable secured early takedown then hung on.
-Fay secured the quick takedown then rode Colt hard. Throw attempt seemed to be a lapse on the part of Sponseller. Fay fought off some early attempts with funk but Sponseller looked strong later on. I think COlt had 3 takedowns in the 3rd before the veteran Fay grabbed a leg and hung on.
174-Luke looked tough and is nearly impossible to finish a single leg on. Borschell came on at the end.
184-Keddy looked bigger and stronger and came out hard early before slowing down.
197-So apparently Varner will adjust to the weight just fine. Looked phenominal taking about the very good Taylor.

Ken Maltry added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

Jaggars and Humphry didn't look very good at all. Sponseller was a little overmatched but Fay ran out of gas and Sponseller got about three TD's in the last minute but couldn't make up the deficit. Fay was gassed, but twice took lazy shots and just hung on to kill the clock. Finally was called for stalling but it was too late.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

Last night was an exhibition match. While I'm surprised all three Bucks gave up back points, it was the perfect time to make mistakes. Let the All-Star match serve as a motivator for Ohio State prior to Vegas.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

I was impressed with Metcalf and Leen. Metcalf is continuing to improve and his dominance over Caldwell is testament to that. His training situation at Iowa seems to suit him well. He is technically, tactically and physically great. Leen is fun to watch. He is innovative and has the mat awareness that reflects confidence and intelligence. At this point in their collective careers, it would be an interesting match up to see a slightly heavier Leen wrestle Metcalf and I would label the match a toss up.

Both Reese and Jaggers had 0-0 first periods which indicates tactical bouts. Reese is an offensive dynamo when his opponent wrestles a quick paced engaging style. Not so much when the opponent gets the collar tie and grinds. Gallick took some shots but his head quickly worked itself back inside as he wanted no part of Jaggers counter to a head outside single. Their opponents wrestled smart matches and took our guys out of their element.

Three big tactical mistakes for Colt. He was taken down right away and ridden for awhile and attempted a desperation throw at the end of the first period. Technically he is improving. Finishing a low single from his knees is an area that I don't like to see him wrestle at this point in his career. He has the going hard part down pat as he is one of the most exciting guys to watch and there is no question that he is giving everything.

Some excellent wrestling for those who were able to watch.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

You want to know what the definition of cruelty is? The all star match is in Columbus about 10 miles from my house and I have to stay at parent teacher conferences. That is not right. Wish I could have been there.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 25, 2008

Colt giving up that early TD was the killer. But on the bright side, he wrestled pretty good after that. Last year he took on #2 Tannenbaum, and didn't even get a TD, A year later, he wrestles #2 and loses 13-9. I am looking forward to matches against Marable & Lewenes. His style may be better suited for those 2 guys?? But I think he showed he can go with the best and be competitive. One last thought about last night: it made me think 133 in the Big Ten this year is going to be brutal, Slaton, Ness, Kennedy, Gomez & Humphrey!! And NCAA Champ Jordon Leen ranked #5, what's that all about??

► Add to the Discussion