Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Pathetic Plain Dealer
Tom Elmer added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

Todays wrestling preview is the worst yet in the 6 years I have lived here,

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

Politely disagree. Not a great preview but no worse than others. I'm sure others will have spotted more errors/omissions than I did.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

and situation could get worse like every other major newspaper----- PD in midst of even more employee drawdowns, the names of those out the door either by buyout or retirement or forced departure will be announced December 1.

This is about the 3rd drawdown in the last few years. Sports will again be hit as will every other dept.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

Hank,
In years past we always had an article about a wrestler - not this time.To me thats why it was the worst.Bob P is right- things will only get worse.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

Print media is dead. With the evolution of the internet and blogs the news we have in the paper is out dated and not current a lot of times.

If I want to read something in a newspaper I visit that website.

too bad too, imo, i like a newspaper in my hand, or in my lap while i watch TV. Need something to do while this infinite number of commercials run, we have 50 % more commercial time on TV now than 25 years ago. BOOOORRRIINNNGGGG !

i don't want to sit at a PC all day, either.

plus from the looks of things, forums are declining too, not near as much posting activity on them anymore.

Blogs have replaced forums as the way to post information. I think everything runs in cycles and right now the forum cycle is running out.

Dan,
i'm not hip, whats the dif between forums and blogs ?

is a blog a website owned by someone with an agenda who prints whatever untruths & propaganda they want, like all these political blogs ??

i don't know, just asking, if thats a blog, most of them are destined to go down too, imo --although there are a few legit "blogs" like InterMat.

Bob,

A blog tends to be a person's thoughts and usually has more substance to what is being said than just a bunch of nameless/faceless people on a forum.

Forums tend to have discussions and different ideas on a single subject.

"A blog tends to be a person's thoughts and usually has more substance"

Dan,
thats what i thought a blog was---- alot more bad blogs out there than good i would imagine-- it all depends on the integrity, intelligence, dedication to the truth & writing ability of the blog owner.

Newspapers have been around for hundreds of years, they aint going away-- yes a low cycle right now, but u cant replace large investigative staffs & career professional journalists with most blogs.

NOTE: at the recent turn of the century a poll was done that asked what was the greatest invention of all time ???

yes just opinions, but the opinions of professors, journalists, historians, business leaders, in other words highly educated people.

The poll winner was the printing press invented by Guttenberg-- and that was 600 years ago. Think about it, what it meant to civilization
. Newspapers despite their faults carry on Gutenberg's work--- blogs wont replace that.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on November 29, 2008

Bob.....I agree with you about TV commercials, newspapers and the printing press. This medium I'm using right now has its place, and it's an important one, but the newspaper is here to stay, I hope, though in a more compact and different form. I might not always have access to the Internet, but the PD is available, dependable, clip-able, and file-able.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 30, 2008

I agree that newspapers aren't going anywhere but they need to come up with a better business model much like the Big 3 in order to keep up with the current trends.

I would say for every good blog there is about 5 bad ones that have no substance.

► Add to the Discussion