Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks in Vegas
John Ice added to this discussion on December 6, 2008

Colt gets beat up pretty good in thre finals.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2008

Lousy performance in the All Star meet and a lousy showing in Vegas. Bucks have hit a rough patch and need to figure out what's going on.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 6, 2008

Being that Caldwell won 2-1 in their 1st matchup this year, I was surprised a bit that he pinned Lance. I hope Flo taped that match since it was a finals. The only other time I remember Lance getting pinned was as a freshman in an early season home match.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 7, 2008

From the video on flowrestling.org, Lance was trapped in an arm bundle and just worked over by Darrion. Lance almsot had a chance to roll through it and get out, but wasn't able to make it and was pinned may 20-25 seconds later.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2008

Just the brutal nature of college wrestling. Survival of the fittest. If your dinged up or not competing at your potential, then someone is going to take advantage weakness.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2008

After watching the video, I have a hard time imagining that there isn't something wrong with Palmer. Caldwell's terrific but he took Lance over like it was high school. That performance was nothing like what we're used to from Palmer.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2008

Caldwell is unorthodox and has unique qualities that make him very difficult to wrestle.

Metcalf handled him (Caldwell) because he only wrestled from solid position which nixed the unorthodoxy.

Lance's movement and reactions looked a half step slow to me. He was circling left with left lead leg and fell prey to a slick snatch (that sounds funny) off a head snap. Off bottom, whenever your opponent gets a deep crossface, you are imminent danger and must remove the impediment immediately or face the consequence. Unfortunately, he faced the consequence of being in bad position.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

Rex: I always appreciate your observations. Nothing like getting a technical breakdown from a former national champ.
It did seem that Palmer was missing "something" in that bout.
Personally, I like watching caldwell alot. I may be dense but I actually think he can still give Metcalf a really tough match.

I'd be curious as to your opinion of Jaggers v Jantzen--also on flowrestling.org

John Taylor added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

Anybody know how bad Rella's injury was in Vegas?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

Here's a good recap of Vegas.

http://theozone.net/wrestling/2008-2009/CliffKeenInvitational/daytwo.htm

John: On Buckeyewrestling.com
Rella is interviewed. His injury doesn't sound as bad as initially feared. Of course, that's my interpretation of what Rella says.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Hank-

Jantzen v Jaggers. Scoreless first period. tactical match. Not a whole lot of risktaking.

Second period- good power shot by Jantzen, did not wrestle from knees and finished quickly. Similar to Gallick attempts. Jaggers can give up the leg attack as long as he ends up in good enough position to counter wrestle. Both he and Palmer's reaction did not allow them to counter wrestle effectively. Mitch Clark use to do an effective job of moving forward while anticipating shot and effectively countering.

3rd Period. Interesting that Jantzen would attempt tight waist/half nelson/crab ride against Jaggers. Jaggers does reverse the position and will win 9.9/10 from this position due to his kinesthetic awareness/hip/body heist ability and his leverage over a shorter opponent.

Against Gallick, the attempted Peterson had no explosion and relied solely on his mat awareness and leverage. IMO that is why he was unable to score and consequently was scored upon.

Jantzen's reversal meets parameters and then he does a veteran savvy maneuver. Watch it again closely. You will notice, he gets the reversal with :57 left and makes it look like he is trying to improve position until the referee stalemates it with :14 seconds left in the match. The position Jantzen wrestles from is ducking his head underneath the knee while keeping body postion square with the mat; when Jaggers tries to cut the corner-all you have to do is raise your head and bend the knee and there will be no cutting of corners. I used this tactic against Joel Sharrat in the NCAA finals in the third period in a similar scenario. It is an effective means of burning time off the clock when you have the lead. Smart wrestling.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Rex,
I echo the statement that it is great to have you here providing an insiders viewpoint of the technical aspects of these high level matches. I am truly amazed by the wealth of knowledge that exists on this board and always read w/ great anticipation what you add to the conversation. Thank you once again for joining us here and adding a great deal of value to every conversation you enter.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Mike-

Thanks. I like contributing to this forum and reading what people have to say. Plus, it is wrestling season and I need an outlet to write about and discuss wrestling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Rex: Great analysis of Jags v Jantzen. I knew that Jags was close to the reversal but didn't realize how deliberate Jantzen's strategy was in ducking the calf and running time off the clock.

Personally, I felt better about Jaggers after watching the match. Obviously, he's not yet 100% for whatever reason. But he's doing some things well and shows flashes of the great wrestler we saw last season. I think he's close and will eventually get back to being a national championship caliber competitor.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 10, 2008

One thing I've noticed about J, he doesn't usually lose to the same guy twice.
Last year during the regular season, he lost to Leclare, Russell & Griffin. During the Big Tens he knocks off Leclare, and in the NCAA quarters he beats Russell, and in the NCAA semi's beats Griffin. He may not beat everybody, but there isn't anyone at 141 he can't beat, IMO.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next