Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Sponseller Gets Good Experience
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

Last year Colt Sponseller missed Vegas and other chances to match up with top guys. It showed at the end of the year.

This season he has already wrestled Moza Fay (5th or 6th last year), Stephen Dwyer (7th or 8th), and Mack Lewnes (3rd). He's also had a chance to mix it up with guys like Glasser, Manuel and UNC Greensboro's tough frosh Chris Bullins. I think that these matches will prove huge at the end of the season.

I just watched the tape of the Fay match and it's obvious Colt gave away three backs in a match that would otherwise have been tight. And, his match with Lewnes was 3-2 late in the second when he got reversed to his back as he tried for back points. The chances to wrestle these guys--even when the result is a loss--are enormously important for later in the season. If nothing else, he'll know what's coming when he takes the mat, esp. against a guy like Fay who's very unorthodox.

I like how Colt is pressing the action on his feet but not bullrushing his opponents. He needs to improve his top game to where he can successfully break down a tough opponent. But on his feet he's as good or better than any of the top guys at 165.

You can watch Colt's all-star match on youtube and his win over Dwyer on flowrestling.org.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

I wanted to see (on Flo) the Lewnes finals match but apparently some technical difficulties messed up the taping. I agree, these tough matches are the best thing for him. Those blowouts against some of the unranked guys just seem to give him a nice cardio workout. I look forward to the 2nd meeting vs. Lewnes & Fay.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Even though the score ended up close, Colt pushed around the AA Dwyer. The second stalling call at the end of that match was ridiculous.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

Scott, this is very true. I focus less on the score and more on the tone, if you will, of the match. Sponseller controlled the pace of the match and the center of the mat the whole match. He was able to win a tight match against a very good opponent, and these are all good signs.

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on December 9, 2008

According to the new RevWrestling Rankings

Lewnes is now #1
Fay # 2
Sponseller now #6

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 15, 2008

Sponseller # 5 in latest AWN rankings, check www.amateurwrestlingnews.com Should be updated very soon.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 15, 2008

Sponseller has done a nice job and earned a top six ranking. But he has a gap to close against Fay and Lewnes.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on December 16, 2008

I went to the dual meet looking for a real good match at 165 between Colt and King. I am a fan of both but was real suprised at Colt's control in the match. He has sick arm drags and mean underhook, and he controled a strong and experienced King. My thought was that King was going to control the match, but watching the Lewnes match and the king match, Colt has great defense and looks alot like the typical Iowa wrestler of old. i.e. Royce Alger, they both move forward and push the opponent to make mistakes. I think Colt has better offense than does Royce but the movement is identical. He will place and who knows he will have a shot at the top. As a side note, don't worry about J he will be there come tournament time.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 16, 2008

Colt is doing a nice job. Solid wins against excellent opponents. He will need to make adjustments against Lewnes to beat him. The big mistake he is making against Lewnes is getting wrist control while his opponent has head position. Lewnes hits a couple slick duckunders from this position. His head needs to be in a neutral position(head to head) otherwise he is prone to giving up that takedown. Lewnes kind of lulls him into position, which does not happen often against Colt as he is usually improving position.

Also, against the two top rated guys that I have watched. He has made hasty mistakes on the edge of the mat. Against Fay, he attempted a lateral drop. Against Lewnes, he hurried up the position and ended up on his back. I think both are indications that he needs to wrestle smarter on the edge as the edge of the mat presents unique dynamics which you must incorporate into your wrestling strategy. The edge dynamics include out of bounds, fleeing the mat, stalling presentation to the referee, and legitimate scoring opportunities.

Edge wrestling is something overlooked during a lot of practices. However, the push out rule, while contrary in nature to collegiate wrestling really emphasizes the importance of strategy and technical proficiency of the situation. The only way to become an expert at that situation is to put yourself on the edge of the mat in a variety of high probability positions with your training partner and wrestle live.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on December 16, 2008

Rex:

Great insight. I think the Buckeye coaches have pinpointed the exact same thing and are working on it with Colt. I recall several times during the King match where the Ohio State bench was yelling to Colt "head position" as the two wrestlers were hand fighting. he did a mutch better job with his head position against King.

Gary-

That is great to hear. I am looking forward to the rematch with Lewnes. Colt is doing most everything right and just needs to implement a couple adjustments and I think he will be able to beat the guys ranked ahead of him.

Rex Holman

► Add to the Discussion