Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Personal Observation - Sam White
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

I watch all matches I can on-line, and have noted that White wrestles pretty conservatively in big matches; often winning very close decisions based on his outstanding skill and grit. (and, as we all know, losing on a stall call in the state finals vs. the aggressive Clark)

Watching this weekend, however, I noticed how outstanding his offense is when he opens up. Against Neibert, who I consider an unreal scrambler and college-level defensive wrestler, he was able to score when he attacked. It first struck me when White hit the stand up and went straight to the snatch double (I think). The takedown was so quick and decisive that he was only rewarded two for the reversal instead of 1 than 2.

Anyway, just an observation. He is an offensive juggernaut in hiding. Can't wait to watch him wrestle at Illinois.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Personal Observation - Sam White
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2008

Ethan: I'm glad you turned me on to that match. What a great battle between two fantastic seniors. Twenty years ago it would have been legendary. For the Ironman, it's almost routine.

My comment on their bout is that I can't believe how badly the official scrwed White--and he still won. First, White's down 4-2 and he escapes, turns in, shoots and scores--all in one motion--and the ref called it a reversal. Essentially, he cost White a point because Neibert didn't react. Then, with White up by one late in the third, he dings him with his second stalling--and White was moving forward! It was the old "you're winning so I have to call you for stalling" call. I'd hoped it was buried forever but I guess not.

I think White and Neibert are both terrific although I'm not sure White is ever going to be an offensive juggernaut. He does, however, have a good style for college. He defends great and makes few mistakes.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion