Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Findlay v Pitt-Johnstown
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2008

The University of Findlay wrestling team, ranked 13th in the latest Wrestling
Coaches Association (WCA) NCAA Division II poll, were defeated 21-19 by ninth ranked
University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown on Wednesday, December 3 in Johnstown,
Pennsylvania.
The Roughnecks held a 19-15 advantage heading into the final match by Matt Clum was
pinned by Chris Dempsey to give the Mountain Cats the victory.
Findlay was led by Justin Shannon as he scored a 3-1 win over Kyle Keane who came
into the match as the nation’s top ranked wrestler in the 165 pound weight class.
Sean Dong added a 14-4 major decision victory in the 149 pound weight class over
Nathan Link while Josh Falk, Michael Lybarger, Hiram Smith and Andy Zalaiskalns each
picked up wins by decision.
Pitt-Johnstown 21, Findlay 19
125 - Scott Morgan (UPJ) def. Nick Weisjhan (UF) 2:49, fall
133 - #5 Shane Valko (UPJ) def. Mike Peraino (UF) 2:54, fall
141 - #7 Josh Falk (UF) def. Adam Whetstone (UPJ) 11-7, dec.
149 - Sean Dong (UF) def. Nathan Link (UPJ) 14-4, md.
157 - Michael Lybarger (UF) def. Nikko Leitzel (UPJ) 5-0, dec.
165 – #7 Justin Shannon (UF) def. #1 Kyle Keane (UPJ) 3-1, dec.
174 – Steve Makin (UPJ) def. Jeff Havelka (UF) 9-5, dec.
184 – #4 Hiram Smith (UF) def. Damian Majocha (UPJ) 8-3, dec.
197 – Andy Zalaiskalns (UF) def. Patrick Walsh (UPJ) 9-3, dec.
285 – Chris Dempsey (UPJ) def. Matt Clum (UF) 4:48, fall

The Roughnecks will be back in action again on December 13 when they take on the
University of Illinois at 2:00 p.m. in Champaign, Illinois.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 10, 2008

I'm all for Ohio kids staying in Ohio, but I'm always surprised at how few Ohio wrestlers look at Pitt-Johnstown as an option. It's a nice school, close to Ohio, you get a University if Pittsburgh degree, it's Division II so there's money available, wrestling is the sport on campus and Coach Pecora is great and runs a class program.

If you're not going DI, then UPJ should be on your short list.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Mike: While I agree it's a great program, Ohio is fortunate to have Tim Dernlan and Shawn Nelson at Ashland and Findlay respectively. This region has a nice D2 situation.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Hank...I graduated in 1990, a year after Nelson and the year Tim Derlan won his first title. I have nothing but respect for both of those guys. Both 3X state champs and Division I All Americans at Big Ten schools. I've always thought Nelson, in particular, has never got the credit he deserves for being one of the best ever high school wrestlers in this great state.

Something about "only" being a 1X AA makes some think he didn't live up to expectations at the next level. He took fifth as a freshman, and went undefeated the next three seasons. His last high school loss was to Alan Fried in the conso semis of that freshman season. And he didn't just win, he ran through people, great on top with tons of pins, total domination of every one not named Steve St. John for three years.

Likewise, the hire of Tim Dernlan really should allow Ashland to do very similar things as tOSU has done with Coach Ryan. In fact, they will do it at an excellerated pace and without the obsticle of the dreaded Hawkeyes in their way. Ashland had been an underachieving sleeping giant for years now. With the right coach in place, and the rich recruiting grownd of Ohio, Tim Derlan will win National titles before he's done.

My point was not to direct kids to an out of state school rather then staying in Ohio, but more to open kids' eyes to the options available to them. I think many young wrestlers that got to schools like Kent State and Ohio University or even Ohio State would be better served going DII. And if you're looking DII, as I think many more kids should, then you owe it to yourself to check out what coach Pecora has to offer at UPJ.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

I agree with Michael here. DII is a great option for a lot of our state's great wrestlers. While the amenities are not DI and most programs are not fully funded (that is nothing new a the DI level either) there are many great DII programs in and near Ohio that these young men should look at. Findlay, Ashland, West Liberty State, Mercyhurst, and Gannon (go Tony P.) are all great institutions with great coaching staffs and quality programs that not enough of our boys take advantage of.

DII is deep in talent as well, which was evident with the #7 Justin Shannon defeating the #1 Kyle Keane in this dual. On any given day, the #10 could beat the #1 and then turn around and lose to the #8 or the #6. There are so few schools in DII (something that needs to change) that the wrestling at the regional and national competitions is a dogfight from the first round on.

With Ohio Dominican in Columbus making the move from NAIA to DII, I would love to see them add wrestling as a varsity sport. I think that the size of the school, the location (in Columbus) and the quality Catholic education that the students get would make ODU an instant player on the DII scene. I personally would love to be a part of it.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on December 12, 2008

Scott,

It's Ironic that I just read your post, and I just got back from Hartley, also Coach Disabato and I were talking about ODU and the huge upside ODU would have if they brought wrestling into the mix.

And this is not to take anything away from what Mike was saying but maybe to go further, being a central ohio guy I would really like to see Capital, Otterbein, Columbus State and Ohio Dominican field a wrestling team. Schools any more are competing for students for those enrollment dollars. Shoot I did not even know Notre Dame College existed till they picked up wrestling. And how many kids would have gone to heidelberg college if it were not for them trying to wrestle for a nationally ranked program.

I do agree not every kid coming out of high school is the Lance Palmer / Colt Sponseller kind of kid. I think Josh Falk could have gone to Cleveland State, Kent State, he would have been welcomed to walk on at Ohio State, he probably would have been welcomed to a number of different D1 schools. But D1 wrestling is not for everyone, but he can still compete with those types of guys and be able to go to school not to far from home.

I would also say that the state of PA has many more opportunities for wrestlers to continue to compete in college after high school than Ohio does.

► Add to the Discussion