Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 157
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 10, 2008

157 is a fantastic weight at NCAA this year. It appears Schlatter is redshirting but even so there are a number of top contenders at this weight:
Jordan Leen-Returning NCAA Champ. Great mix of explosiveness and flexibility and Leen is an animal on top.
Gregor Gillespie-3x AA and NCAA champ 2 years ago. Another great wrestler from the top position.
Mike Poeta-NCAA runner-up and maybe the best wrestler in the nation who has yet to win an NCAA title. Very good on his feet.
Jordan Burrough-Returning AA who is moving up from 149 and looks big and bad at 157. Explosive double and great re-shots Burroughs has wins this year over Leen and Dustin Schlatter.
JP O'Connor-2x AA moving up from 149. Has a win over NCAA champ Leen this year.

I see these guys as the top contenders. Vallimont seemed to be in this group coming into the year but seems to have fallen off. Sanderson is lightening quick on his feet and a great finisher. He may belong in the top group but group.

Here is a great match between Burroughs and Leen:
http://www.flowrestling.org/theword/topic/22315-monday-match-of-the-week

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

What I think makes this weight so good is not just the talent level (which is extreamly high), but the contrasting styles and the offensive and defensive creativity of some of these wrestlers. Leen, Poeta and Gillespie get into some unbelievable scrambles and each is aggressive and looking to score. The same can be said for Burrough and O'Connor.

It's also nice to see some good young Ohio talent at the weight with names like Jedd Moore, Bean Jordan and Jessie Dong all having nice starts to their college careers.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Moore, Jordan and Dong have all shown some nice things this year. Moore looked great against Vallimont and Dong had the big win (and amazing scramble) against Knox. Jordan of course had the big win over Moore and has been solid for the Badgers. Another name I would add to the list of tough freshman 157's from Ohio is Eric Cubberly. He is starting for Central Michigan and had a win against Ballweg in the Iowa dual.

Who would you take in a round robin between these four?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Even though Jordan owns a recent win over Jedd Moore, I still think Moore the best of the group with Cubberly being a close second. That match between Jordan and Moore was an odd one. Really a one move match with Moore pushing the action for the entire bout and having several scoring opportunities and just geting caught. If and when they meet again I wouldn't expect the same result. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I've never been a huge Ben Jordan guy and, despite my opposition, all he did was win three titles and beat both Jameson and Toal his senior season. I may be wrong about him.

I do think Cubberly may end up passing them all due to the combination of his obvious skills and the staff and room he gets to work with.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Did you watch the Burroughs vs. Leen match Mike? If you can get past the constant blood stoppages, what a couple of studs. I know you are a fan of a good re-shot so you have to like what you see from Burroughs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2008

Burroughs it the hottest guy at the weight right now and a fantastic talent. But given the incredible depth at this weight--Poeta, Burroughs, Leen, Gillespie and O'Connor leap to mind--I wouldn't even venture to guess who might end up as champion. That's not even considering guys like Sanderson and Vallimont--who are returning AA's as well. That's three former NCAA champs--not counting the redshirting Schlatter.

The Ohio hs rooks are all doing very well. Moore, in particular, has wrestled very well against some tough hombres.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 13, 2008

I still have a feeling that Gillespie might end up on top, but I wouldn't sleep on Burroughs. Leen may have been a surprise champ last year, but he is legit. I think this is your top trio, with Poeta just a step behind. What a fantastic top three.

It is interesting to me that Cubberly is starting, and I'm not saying that as an evaluation of his talent. It is just that CMU has a history of redshirting freshman, even very good ones, and they are fairly deep this year. I imagine if the 149 from last year (name is escaping me, the kid who beat Ryan Lang at University Nationals) hadn't transferred to Boise State, Cubberly would have taken a shirt. He is ready though, with his amazing abilities from top and neutral.

Interstingly enough, after CMU's 149 transferred to BSU, Chamberling, the stud freshman, is now starting at the weight right out of HS. Not so sure that worked out for anybody.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2008

When I watch Poeta, it seems like he can't lose. Yet there always seems one critical match where he doesn't quite get it done. Still, I wouldn't bet against him. He can score a bunch in a hurry.

Hate to sound redundant but Leen, Poeta, Burroughs and Gillespie are all sensational. Each has #1 talent.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 13, 2008

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"... However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I've never been a huge Ben Jordan guy and, despite my opposition, all he did was win three titles and beat both Jameson and Toal his senior season. I may be wrong about him .

I do think Cubberly may end up passing them all due to the combination of his obvious skills and the staff and room he gets to work with."

Greatest quote ever!!!!!!!!!! The great thing ism at least you are willing to recognize the fact there you could be, maybe, a slight chance that, you're wrong on this kid!

► Add to the Discussion