Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bishop Ready/Bishop Hartley Dual Meet Tie-breaker
Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 12, 2008

The rivalry dual between Bishop Ready and Bishop Hartley came down to the fifth or sixth tiebreaker lastnight. After 14 weight classes the dual was tied and they went to the rulebook. Rule 9-2 lays it out, neither team was penalized a team point, they won the same number of matches, they won the same number of matches by pin (forfeit and disqualifications included,) they had the same number of techs, and so it came down to the team that scored the first match points the most often. Alas, Bishop Ready was awarded the one extra point and the dual meet victory in the Central Catholic League rivalry.

This is, of course, not unheard of. It is odd though that this is now the second time in just a few seasons that Bishop Hartley was involved in a dual that went this far into the tiebreaker criteria. Just a few seasons ago (when I was still the coach at Bishop Hartley) we won a dual over our CCL rival Bishop Watterson by reaching the same level of the criteria.

Congrats to Coach Nikolai Timbs on his very tight and exciting victory in his first installment of this rivalry. It was a clash of lightweight dominance by Bishop Ready and upperweight dominance by Bishop Hartley. What kept this dual a tie was a victory by Bishop Hartley's returning state qualifier Chris Fusco at 125 pounds, interrupting the lightweight roll of Bishop Ready.

On a side note, Michael Falk from Grandview is for real. He looks sharp for missing most of last season. He still needs fine tuning, but he will make some noise this season. Yes, he is of the Bluffton Falk's.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 13, 2008

2 in the row for the Silver Knights <thumbsup>

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

If OHSAA would just listen to me and go back to 13 weight classes we wouldn't need all these complicated tie-breakers. The team with more individual victories would win. The same for college wrestling. Go back to 11 weight classes like they had one year in the late sixties.

High School
112 College
119 124
126 131
132 138
138 145
144 152
151 160
160 169
170 178
185 188
205 210
275 285

I think everyone would benefit. High school tournaments wouldn't take as long, and dual meets would have fewer forfeits/better matchups.
College wrestling would be able to give out more scholarships for wrestling. Dual meets would have one more match to enjoy, and there would finally be a weight class for J.D. Bergman, Matt Koz, Corey Morrison, and Rashard Goff.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on December 18, 2008

36-35 Coach Shaw, I remember greatly. The reason was I couldn't pin Ross again. I think I teched him or we needed at least a tech and I only recorded a major. 04-05 Season

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 19, 2008

Tony, there were a lot of things that could have happened differently for that dual to not go to the tiebreaker. Shouldering the responsibility is one of the things that made you great. Continue to work hard, Gannon will reap the rewards of their faithfulness in your recruiting.

► Add to the Discussion