Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs Edinboro
Jamie Teel added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

Triggas loses 6-2...
Humphrey with a major on Duebel
Jaggers loses again 6-5
Palmer with a solid win 7-1
Johnstone loses to Gillepse 6-2
Sponseller with the win over king 4-1
Nemec up at 174 with a big win 7-4
Pucillo in action vs. Honeycutt....Pucillo 8-1
Gardner vs. Bradshaw..... Bradshaw 3-0
Fendone needs to major Morrison to tie.....big win for Morrison....5-3
Ohio state wins it 19-12. Very nice win for Nemec saving Mangrums RS. Jaggers is still puzzeling.....is it the weight cut...I know everyone says he is a slow starter but todays loss is pretty rough. Some guys really stepped up to avoid the duel loss for the Bucks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

Jamie: Nemec, Sponseller and Morrison all did a great job. Triggas and Jags losing are disappointing.

Hindsight Alert :
Wouldn't it have been smart to redshirt Palmer? Options: Jaggers could have moved up. Or, Johnstone could have gone 149 and Nemec 157. Either way, I think this squad would have been better off. I think that this coaching staff is trying too hard to win a national title at the expense of doing what's best with their personnel. Ryan inherited some good wrestlers but some major lineup issues when he arrived. They're still affecting this squad. At some point, they may need to take a step backward to move a bigger step forward.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

I see the logic with redshirting Palmer, but I think having him in the lineup is the best decision. After a breakout season, Tom Ryan is obviously gunning for that national title ("second is not the standard"). To do that with this squad, Palmer needs to be in the lineup. Although I'm a bit confused as to Jaggers' performance as of late, this is not March and he's got a good few weeks to recover, re-evaluate, and get ready to go into the Big 10 portion of the season.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

I was able to make the drive. Here are my amateur observations.

Fluke got an early TD and rode and rode and rode through the first period and all of the second. In the final minute Triggas, trailing 3-2 (not counting 4+ minutes of riding time) tried some weird looking move, maybe intended to be a throw, that Fluke converted into 2. 2-6.

Hump got 2 tds in the first, one in the second, and after not securing back points went into rapid fire TD mode once he got a stalling point awarded to put the major in sight. Great job. 14-6.

I didn't take great notes, but I think JJ gave up a TD and then secured a reversal. In the second period Webster eventually escaped but JJ had riding time. When JJ escaped in the third the score was tied 3-3 with JJ having the riding time point in hand. Webster's last TD attempt took a while to finally be scored a 2 by the referee who was looking at a confusing funk position. JJ with about 5 seconds left came VERY close to a funk reversal at the buzzer from that funk position. Ryan protested, but it wasn't going to change. JJ's legs came under attack 4 or 5 times and his funk wasn't enough of a defense for two of them. 4-5.

Palmer with a solid first period TD and ride out. Got one almost tilt which he held for a while. But no points awarded. 2nd period Palmer escaped and converted a second TD with ride out. A stalling point to Palmer and Gillespie escape closed out the scoring. Solid job. 7-1.

Gregor Gillespie is so tough. Scored a solid TD and secured near fall points in the first period 5-0. With choice, GG took top for the second period, but JJ refused to be turned and scored an escape before the period ended. Then, how about this? JJ takes down to start the third! He eventually scored another escape and took a couple of nice shots which he couldn't quite convert. A spirited job against a monster opponent. 2-6.

You gotta like it when Colt Sponseller gets the first TD and does it early. Puts a smile on one's face. King did escape quickly with no more first period scoring. I was fairly surprised when Colt was able to ride out King for the entire second period. Great job. In the third Colt escaped quickly enough to maintain his riding time point and that became the final. Yep no TDs in the third. Colt did the job holding defensive position. 4-1.

Speaking of putting a smile on the face, I didn't know what to expect here, but a beautiful high single leg after some feeling out by Sean was great to see. Paul Paddock, whose brother Ian, I believe, is slated to come to Ohio State, got an escape before the period ended. Paddock escaped in the 2nd but Sean then duplicated his first period TD. With Nemec down to start the third each wrestler scored two points, but damn if I can remember the details. Nemec had a riding point. 7-4.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Honeycutt as a person and wrestler, but this was a bad match up for him. His time will come. Pucillo looked great. TD and another two for backs in the first. TD from neutral in the 2nd. He more or less cut eventually Honeycutt in the third seeking the major. 7-1.

Bradshaw and Gardner had no action in the first. Bradshaw escaped in the second fairly quickly, then no action. Gardner couldn't get out in the third. He not only gave up riding time but eventually a stalling point from bottom. 0-3.

Morrison got two beautiful first period TDs with his moblility but Fendone was able to escape both times fairly quickly. Morrison secured an escape from bottom in the second with no more scoring after that. The third period started from neutral and was pretty strange. Eventually Fendone scored a stalling point to get to 5-3. Morrison had a couple of possible TD attempts that he passed up including in the last 6-8 seconds where he had Fendone's leg elevated but put it back down and trotted away to the center, preferring to let time expire.

Some highs and lows, but more to be pleased about than not.

EDIT--Yikes. It would be nice if I didn't use high school weights. 184 and 197 in place of 189 and 215.

Last edited by Steve Lester on December 15, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 14, 2008

It was fun to see Mike P. back. Started with that front headlock to the ankle pick. Rode real tough, at one point threw Hunnycutt to his back but ref was slow to get in position for back points. Honeycutt is ranked, but Mike totally dominated; Re: Colt's match was picture perfect against #4 King. Early TD, Piled up lots of riding time. Escaped quickly from down position. Took King down again. More tough riding. Actually had another TD lost due to King hopping out of bounds with Colt elevating his leg to eye level. Never really had Colt in danger of being taken down. Good defense while still managing to attack. No bad shots either. This should move Colt up to #5 for sure. P.S. I thought Nemec's performance was outstanding considering the circumstance of moving up 2 weights against a decent opponent. Chalk one up for Coach Ryan on this decision.

► Add to the Discussion