Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Shoulder Injury Alert Message (NCAA)
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on December 15, 2008

The top portion of this message (in italics) was sent by Pat McCormick, National coordinator of Officials for the NCAA.

"Urgent Injury Alert Message

A number of shoulder injuries, some season-ending, have been reported during this early season, associated with the use of leg(s) and a power half-nelson. Please be aware of our responsibilities to call potentially dangerous those situations if the defensive wrestler is unable to move his hip or hips to relieve the pressure on his shoulder".

Young officials and experienced alike....take heed with this.

Basic message is...no way can the top kid turn the bottom kid with both legs in. Unless one is taken out, the bottom kid cant turn, or he will rip his shoulder.
Top kid wont come off, and continues to have both legs in, it is (IMHO) a stall technique. Reason....you cant turn a kid with both legs in deep. You have to create angles. Both legs in doesn't create an angle.

The argument you get is "we are trying to turn him or it's a pinning combination". Half right. Unless one leg comes out, you cant turn him.

And...just to stop the madness...please don't come on here and say wrestling should hurt...unless you want to rip the shoulder, but to intentionally try and hurt isn't the way its done.
Stop it quickly when you see the legs are still in deep and move on.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Shoulder Injury Alert Message (NCAA)
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on December 15, 2008

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"The top portion of this message (in italics) was sent by Pat McCormick, National coordinator of Officials for the NCAA.

"Urgent Injury Alert Message

A number of shoulder injuries, some season-ending, have been reported during this early season, associated with the use of leg(s) and a power half-nelson. Please be aware of our responsibilities to call potentially dangerous those situations if the defensive wrestler is unable to move his hip or hips to relieve the pressure on his shoulder".

Young officials and experienced alike....take heed with this.

Basic message is...no way can the top kid turn the bottom kid with both legs in. Unless one is taken out, the bottom kid cant turn, or he will rip his shoulder.
Top kid wont come off, and continues to have both legs in, it is (IMHO) a stall technique. Reason....you cant turn a kid with both legs in deep. You have to create angles. Both legs in doesn't create an angle.

The argument you get is "we are trying to turn him or it's a pinning combination". Half right. Unless one leg comes out, you cant turn him.

And...just to stop the madness...please don't come on here and say wrestling should hurt...unless you want to rip the shoulder, but to intentionally try and hurt isn't the way its done.
Stop it quickly when you see the legs are still in deep and move on.
"

Great info Mr. Feeney. I'll take this back to the wrestling room I help w/ out here in Cedar Rapids. This also answers why I would have a power half w/ legs in stopped sometimes and other times I wouldn't. Thinking back, the times I didn't were when either I took a leg out or put in "short boots." The kid can be taught. Thanks again. This is outstanding info...and I agree w/ your statement about making the other guy hurt but not trying to hurt them.
Mike Taylor
Cedar Rapids, IA

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion