Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame vs. Purdue
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on December 21, 2008

Here's what I can remember...

125- Akif Eren (sp?) came out, was very physical and came back from a minor margin (Purdue decision)

133- Purdue guy put on a takedown clinic (Purdue tech fall)

141- Koballa gave up a couple takedowns on the edge of the mat that changed the complexion of the match (Purdue decision)

149- Pelton stops the bleeding and gets the fall. He looked very good from the get go. Notre Dame is back in the match (NDC pin)

157- ***Match of the night. Back and forth the whole time with great scrambling. Bertucci dislocates his knee in the first period, but recovers. Straughn gave up a few takedowns on the edge of the mat as well. He had two beautiful knee blocks from a front headlock and put Bertucci on his back twice (Purdue decision)

165- Crenshaw comes out strong with some beautiful lightning quick low level shots and gets the job done (NDC decision)

174- Wolff started strong, but the Purdue guy racked up multiple takedowns toward the end of the match. Avoids the major (Purdue decision)

184- Kissel dominates (Purdue pin)

197- Brown comes out with the early takedown. Tripp escapes. Tripp takes an arm bundle to a step over and gets the fall (NDC pin)

285- Stocum unable to put any points on the board (Purdue decision)

Final Score: Purdue 26 Notre Dame 15

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on December 22, 2008

Little surprised purdue wrestled some of there starters, but let some of them sit. Wonder if the ones that sat are banged up?

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on December 22, 2008

Here are the matches...

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view/234429-purdue-notre-dame-college-of-ohio

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 25, 2008

Mike: Thanks for sharing this info. I don't think there's any way to overstate what an incredible job NDC is doing. This team is ready to challenge for a national title right now in NAIA. Frank Romano, Anthony Ralph and company have built a powerhouse from scratch in a short period of time. Behind the scenes, they have received tremendous support from Sue Hlavacek, NDC AD, who understands what it takes to succeed. Think it's easy? Think about how lousy the Cleveland Browns are ten years after rejoining the NFL. NDC has done as good a job as Ohio State under Tom Ryan and Gene Smith in their own fashion.

Yes--NDC has money to spend. Also, they've used it wisely. Some recruits have worked out; others haven't. But they keep improving on the quality of the wrestlers they bring in.

NDC is arguably the third best collegiate program right now behind Ohio State and Kent. Certainly, they're capable of winning duals with CSU, OU, Ashland and Findlay.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 25, 2008

I would have liked to see Crenshaw match up with Manuel.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 26, 2008

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I would have liked to see Crenshaw match up with Manuel."

I would have liked to see that, too, but I'm not sure it would have been that close. I would see Manuel winning that match by 4-5 points.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 26, 2008

True freshman Don Stocum did very well in his match against redshirt junior Chris Kasten, a fourth-year college wrestler and a Big 10 starter. The final score was 2-0 because Kasten escaped (1) and Stocum didn't, which got Kasten the riding time point (2). Kasten probably pushed the action a bit more in the early part of the match but Stocum was clearly very close to scoring a takedown a few times and a reversal on a switch once, he just wasn't quite able to finish. Stocum is now 7-2 on the year for the Falcons. He was set to redshirt but an injury to junior Justin Tripp forced the Falcons to pull Stocum out of the redshirt year and into the lineup. I think both of these guys will be All-Americans if they can get both into the lineup for the NAIA National Championships. I know Stocum qualified at the Rochester Invitational Tournament. I'm not sure if Tripp has qualified yet but he definitely should if he gets healthy again.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 26, 2008

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"True freshman Don Stocum did very well in his match against redshirt junior Chris Kasten, a fourth-year college wrestler and a Big 10 starter. The final score was 2-0 because Kasten escaped (1) and Stocum didn't, which got Kasten the riding time point (2). Kasten probably pushed the action a bit more in the early part of the match but Stocum was clearly very close to scoring a takedown a few times and a reversal on a switch once, he just wasn't quite able to finish. Stocum is now 7-2 on the year for the Falcons. He was set to redshirt but an injury to junior Justin Tripp forced the Falcons to pull Stocum out of the redshirt year and into the lineup. I think both of these guys will be All-Americans if they can get both into the lineup for the NAIA National Championships. I know Stocum qualified at the Rochester Invitational Tournament. I'm not sure if Tripp has qualified yet but he definitely should if he gets healthy again."

Actually, Justin Tripp is a RS Sophomore, but other than that, I agree completely with what you have just said. Stocum has the size, strength, and agility to give almost anybody at heavyweight fits. He will be a stud very shortly.

► Add to the Discussion