Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v Kent
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

Dual will be today in Columbus at 5:00pm. One can watch with buckeyevision for 9.95 (you get a month).

Some thoughts:

125: Triggas v Bedelyon...Triggas got an early td in this matchup last year then ran out of gas in what became a big win for Bedelyon. Triggas has struggled this year after a good start. Bedelyon has seemed sharper of late. Slight edge to Kent.

133: Humphrey v Mitcheff...Mitcheff got a late td in their matchup last year to earn the victory. Humphrey, however, seems much more well conditioned this season. Edge to the Buckeye.

141: Jags v Lashaway...this is the rubber match for these two. Lashaway won two years ago but Jaggers edged him last season. Jaggers has struggled this season much as he did a few years back when Lashaway's upset win led to a Kent victory. Has a few weeks off allowed Jaggers to get back on track? I don't know what to expect at all but a Lashaway win would not be a shock if Jags isn't yet on his game.

149: Palmer v Cl. Sponseller, etc...Bonus points for the Buckeyes here as Kent is weak in the middlewts.

157: Johnstone v Shuster, etc...I wonder if Kent will take Shuster out of redshirt as he's the best 157 they've got. Either way, Johnstone could easily earn a major.

165: Co. Sponseller v Simpson...Simpson has great quicks and has wrestled better lately. But his style will never play well against the tireless one from West Holmes. By the middle of the third period, the takedown machine will be working towards a tech.

174: Rella (Nemec?) v Estep, etc...If Kilgore or Chine could have made this weight class, Kent would be a much better team. But they can't and the upshot is that whoever wrestles for Ohio State will win easily.

184: Pucillo v Kilgore...This might seem intriguing to some but Kilgore's style doesn't seem likely to work well against Pucillo. Yeah, Kilgore stayed close with Herbert but that strikes me as an early season anomaly. Look for a md from Pucillo.

197: Gardner v Chine...Should be a close match between a solid veteran competitor and the controlled, technically sound Gardner. Gardner's size should give him an advantage but Chine wrestles with a lot of heart. Kent gets the slight edge.

285: Morrison v Porter....Sheer size works in Porter's favor as does the fact that he actually seems to be wrestling hard this year. Porter is Kent's best AA hope in a long time and Morrison is overmatched.

General Comments: Kent wrestled well at the Scuffle while Ohio State has struggled since the All-Star meet. I think with Kent you're getting a consistent effort. The problem lies in the middle of the lineup where they're just too weak. The Buckeyes will easily win those four weights. For Kent to win this dual, they have to win every close matchup...125, 133, 141, 197 and 285...plus pull an upset. Keys for the Bucks will be solid performances out of Triggas and Jaggers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

It was posted on another forum that Zeb Miller will be covering the dual for flowrestling

Matthew Lofton added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

Live audio will be available via Takedown Radio with Ty Linder calling the action.

http://www.kentstatesports.com

On the right, click on the speaker next to the listing of the wrestling match. It will take you to a link to click on and listen.

And about Kilgore, he leads the team with a 16-2 record. His two losses to two wrestlers ranked in the top 5 of the weight class who are a combined 37-0...

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

It's also broadchat live on Buckeye Vision if you care to subscribe...

Ref wants to make himself part of the action and hits Kilgore for stalling in each of the 1st two periods. Terrible calls.

I don't think he hit Simpson the whole 7 minutes, and Simpson backed the whole match. Why get involved in this match?

Disappointing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

Ref was interesting to say the least...

1) Bedelyon definitely had two backs on Triggas.
2) Tice should have gotten two backs with his tilt
3) It sure looked like Porter locked his hands in the last seconds against Morrison. Bergman, who was announcing thought so too. It would have put the match in overtime. Then again, I didn't have a perfect view.
4) The pin call on Jaggers was gutsy. I've seen a lot of wrestlers put themselves in that position but not seen the call. I'll look forward to getting another view on flo.

Kent wrestled very well and should be commended for their effort.

Morrison looks great. I agreed with J.D. as well in saying that he could have had a couple more TD's in the third if he would have stayed on the attack. Porter is a huge human being.

Triggas looks like a very small 125 to me. Bedolyn controlled every position.

Sponseller continues to look like a sure fire AA.

Pucillo looked sharp, even though I didn't agree with the stall calls and thought they changed the match.

Great dual to watch. I enjoyed J.D.'s commentary as well

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

Jaggers just can't seem to catch a break. 9 out of 10 times that's a roll through, no points. I think the fans got robbed of what was going to be a good match by calling that pin?. Anyway, I thought Kilgore showed how good he is in making it a tough match for Mike. He's a big, strong 184. Mike finally moved him around enough to get him off balance, but it was tough. I don't know if Kent ever had a NCAA Champ, but Kilgore looks like their bet sometime in the next 4 years. I was impressed. Is Mike another Houdini out there, fighting off some deep singles? Extremely hard to TD.

Matthew Lofton added to this discussion on January 4, 2009

Article by Kent State sports with link to quotes by KSU Head Coach Jim Andrassy

http://www.kentstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11400&ATCLID=3640155

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2009

My thoughts:

Kent impressed me in defeat. Look at their lineup--arguably the only blue chip recruit on the mat for them was Dustin Kilgore. Maybe Mitcheff...
But Bedelyon was found late in the recruiting process. Lashaway, Chine, Porter, Cl Spons, Estep, Tice and Simpson were not big names in high school. Relative to the talent he gets coming in, Andrassy seems to be getting the most out of it. And with guys like Barlow, Skonieczny, Shuster, the Barberton kid at 197, and Opfer--all of whom are having good redshirt seasons--they've got some great talent to add to next year's lineup.

Ohio State has one wrestler in their lineup, Corey Morrison, who wasn't a big time recruit. Everyone else--Triggas, Hump, Jags, Johnstone, Spons, Rella, Pucillo and Gardner--was a major star. Yet they eke out a 20-15 win over Kent? Not good. Seems as if the Buckeyes have several problems at the moment. Foremost is the failure of certain guys to improve. I do wonder how much of their trouble has to do with the amount of wt cutting going on by many of the starters. I've heard Coach Ryan and others refer to wt cutting issues regarding Triggas, Humphrey, Jaggers and Gardner. Only Humphrey is wrestling well of those mentioned. I also think this squad is putting too much pressure on itself to do well at nationals. Yes, this squad has five serious AA prospects. But, there's not likely to be any other help. Maybe this squad needs to de-pressurize a bit, tamp down expectations, and just try to have some fun. The Cleveland Indians of the 1990's had "an all-star at every position" but they only played like it in 1995. Ohio State might help itself to give a few guys a break, throw some other guys on the mat from time to time, and relax.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 5, 2009

A lot of interesting dynamics and a very competitive dual meet.

Kent has a couple of legitimate All-American contenders this year. I like Kilgore and Lashaway's styles of wrestling.

Pucillo is just tough and will continue to improve as his conditioning does. Once his legs are in shape, he will be able to duplicate last year's efforts. Also, Mike is a Left lead leg and Herbert shoots his single to the right. I would pay the price of admission just to see how that works out.

Kilgore is legit. If he is healthy at NCAAs, he will give Kent their first AA in however long it has been. He was so composed up until the stall calling. Regardless of whether it was right or wrong. It got to him as he talked back to the ref and gave up a td 10 seconds later. "Don't give into rage/emotion, young jedi." " Anger makes you stupid." Two quotes that are very relevant to becoming your best. No offense meant. Just guidance.

Corey Morrison controlled the pace of the match but became a little complacent with a one point lead. He gave up the td with ten seconds, flat feet and no angle. Porter is dangerous because his arms are so long and he can pick a leg from an upright position. But for a mental lapse, he wins that match.

Some very good wrestling and some good wrestling.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 6, 2009

125-Triggas- Doing ok- offense seems to rely too heavily on barrel roll- needs to spend the off season working on his collegiate wrestling rather than Greco-Roman
133-Hump- Flashes of brilliance and sometimes uninspired. Hump is a great freestyle wrestler. Collegiate wrestling is about staying in position and wearing your opponent out until you can make him make a mistake. He needs to adjust his thinking a little to embrace this philosophy or at least account for it.
141-Jaggers-struggling-He has bullseye on his back and a lot of dynamics are working against him. If I hear one more person say he does not have the fire-I will tell you that that you are wrong. He needs to create positions that he can score from and not give up offensive points on his feet. That is the recipe that is beating him as people are staying away from his strengths and he is getting taken down after a patient methodical attack.
149-Palmer is solid. I would love to see him add a couple more wrinkles to his offense that would add to his overall performance.
157-Johnstone-Always puts forth his best effort, although he does not have the horsepower of some of his bigger opponents. I like that he can figure out a way to win and score takedowns without expending a great deal of energy. Getting the most bang for the buck out of his attributes.
165-Colt is improving. He is starting to understand that he needs to stay disciplined in his attack and be responsible for all the positions that he creates. His attack is becoming more disciplined while remaining relentless.
174-Rella-He is doing a good job. Still looks like he is not wrestling at 100% confidence. I chalk it up to the transfer and the brutal nature of collegiate wrestling. Here is the deal, He gets thrown into a new situation where people are asking a lot from him. He may not feel like extending himself to that uncomfortable level that total commitment to this sport takes. I will make the analogy to marriage. After you get burned once, are you ready to jump back in with both feet-not so much. I look for better performances next year as he becomes more certain about his environment.
184-Pucillo is outstanding. The confidence, toughness, technique. Everything is solid. Whenever people talk about winners they are talking about people like Mike Pucillo.
197-Cody is good but he is learning. He does not have enough technical aspect in his arsenal. He can be very good at this level if he continues to evolve and not get stuck in a nether rut.
285-Corey is figuring it out and starting to wrestle with confidence. He will be an AA if he matches with the right opponents at the NCAA tourney. A little luck goes along way.
JMHO

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on January 6, 2009

Rex:

Great assesment. Always a pleasure to read your insight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2009

Rex: I love the analysis. If college wrestling were to ever become a TV sport, you'd make a great analyst.

Incidentally, J.D. does a nice job on the webcast.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 6, 2009

Gary, Hank-

Thank you.
I like this forum as there is little to no animosity or stupidity on it.

The guys wrestling are doing the best they can at that point of their career. There are so many variables that play into performance that managing each wrestler becomes a huge undertaking in itself.

Coaching is truly an art form when you consider the amount of diversity that each individual brings to the program and being able to get the most out of that person. Wrestling is unique in the amount of workload, intensity, and toughness it takes to compete and endure for an entire season, let alone 5 years.

The guys that do it are champions in my mind and have earned my respect. I hate seeing very talented young men fall by the way side due to a lack of instruction, guidance, or confidence issues, but that is part of life and life is tough.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next