Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Breakdown With Ranked Opponents (National Duals)
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 7, 2009

Should the Buckeyes make it to the round to meet Iowa State here are the ranked guys they could meet (according to RevWrestling)

Triggas... #1 Nickerson and #9 Clark

#9 Humphrey... #11 Grey and #4 Fanthorpe

#13 Jaggers... #3 Gallick

#4 Palmer... #15 Mueller

#14 Johnstone... #4 Leen and #6 Sanderson

#5 Sponseller... #2 Fay, #1 Lewnes, #4 Reader

Rella... #6 Anceravage and #9 Burke

#2 Pucillo... #15 Kerber and #18 Ward

Gardner... #11 Anderson and #3 Varner

#16 Morrison... #18 Brantley, #14 Hammond, #3 Zabriskie

I think one of the biggest keys in these duals will be for Palmer and Pucillo to deliver with bonus points. This will be the squad's biggest test yet; it's time for everyone to turn it on. Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on January 7, 2009

3 time NCAA qualifier Alex Dolly will be in the line up for UNI at 184. He was recently granted a sixth year by the NCAA.

Last edited by John Ice on January 7, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 7, 2009

Mike:
Respectfully, I disagree. Pucillo and Palmer are two of the most consistent performers on the squad. For Ohio State to do well, it will take good performances from the guys that have been less consistent.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 7, 2009

No offense taken. Looking back on that, I wasn't being clear. No doubt, OSU will have to bring the total package to even continue on through the bracket; everyone from Triggas through Morrison has to show up ready to wrestle. My point about Palmer and Pucillo wasn't that they should win because they are ranked high (we all know how much rankings really mean at this level). Both have had great starts to the season and I think they are part of the core of the OSU squad.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 8, 2009

Quote from Mike Hojnacki's post:

"

#9 Humphrey... #11 Grey and #4 Fanthorpe

#13 Jaggers... #3 Gallick

#5 Sponseller... #2 Fay, #1 Lewnes, #4 Reader

#16 Morrison... #18 Brantley, #14 Hammond, #3 Zabriskie

"

Mike, I shortened the list you provided to the matchups I think will be most key. I agree we need those bonus points from our big guys, but the ones above I think will ultimately decide the matches...specifically Iowa State if we make it that far. Reece will have 2 matches he COULD win if he wrestles smart and wrestles well. Neither are push overs, so he will have to be on his game...especially against Fanthorpe. Jaggers gets a rematch against Gallick. Gallick has been strong thus far in the season. Jags was on the wrong end of a funk maneuver (yet again) last time they faced. If he can turn it around for this match, this may be the point where his season changes and we see him begin his upward climb. Colt has already faced 2 of these 3 opponents and was very much in both of the matches. How he handles the 2nd go round w/ Fay and Lewnes will be interesting as will seeing how he does against Reader in their first matchup. Finally, our big guy needs to wrestle his match...for the entire match. Don't get pinned and keep the steady pressure on. We may see a match come down to the heavies...specifically who was able to get bonus points here or avoid giving up bonus points. We would really need an upset here to have a serious shot at beating ISU. I figure 285 is the most likely place for an upset to happen.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 8, 2009

I'm not discounting the improvements that Morningstar may have made this year but if the Buckeyes get that far I like Sponseller's chances against Reader. Reader's matches with Morningstar were lifeless. It didn't look like Reader learned anything from the first match to the second.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 9, 2009

Last yr there was a website where you could watch national duals live. Does anyone know any websites to watch this yr?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

Bryon try www.livesportsvideo.com. There are going to be 4 mats being covered both days.

Jason Franks added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

when does the action get started today?

answered my own question. looks like 11am I'm guessing central time so probly about another hour. hopefully someone will give me updates, it looks like I'll probly be sled riding with the kids today or at least playing in the snow. Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!!

Should Sponseller get a W over Fay (which I think is well within his grasp) then that should pump him up and give him momentum going into a possible matchup against Lewnes. Should he then upend Lewnes I don't know if there will be any stopping the run away Colt express. The whole team however needs to pull of course before any of this is possible. Tall order I know but if everyone arises to the occasion I think it's obtainable. Should be an interesting next two days. <excited> <sign_oh>

Laurel Miller added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

Any sites with updates on scores and matches from the National Duals? I watched Iowa win and Ohio State doing well, but wondered about individual matches

Kirk Nail added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

Have not lost a match yet through 165. Sponseller over fay 9-6

nwcaonline.com

Sponseller over Fay. Awesome!!!!!!!!! Hard fought battle! Again Sponseller ruled the takedown department. Sounds like he had a little more gas in his tank than Fay or more like a lot more, he probly could went deep into overtime if needed. Looks like another rematch. Sponseller vs. Lewnes. Should be a good one. I like the momentum Colt has going into this match, he should be jacked for it after beating Fay. Go Spoon!!!! Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!!! <sign_oh>

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next