Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v Cornell
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

I didn't get to start watching until 133. What a great dual. Unfortunately, what could have ended up as a criteria win for Ohio State (although no one can for sure say what would have happened between Hammond and Morrison) was marred by the match at 197 pounds. Gardner simply quit. While it's true that ten guys take the mat, he was the only one that stopped trying. And when you've already left one program, and you look lackluster at your second, it's hard to imagine that Gardner's heart is in this enterprise. Maybe there's an explanation of which I'm unaware. Some injury...the weight cut...But I'd prefer Weakley at this point. Weakley didn't lose due to lack of heart--he just wasn't polished nor a good mat tactician. Ohio State has a quandary.

Other thoughts on the bout--Humphrey continues to wrestle impressively. Grey has struggled this season but Hump pounded him. Unfortunately, he was an eyelash from earning a major that would have been huge....Jags looked like himself--finally. Great shots, solid counters, a beautiful near cradle and lots of scoring...Palmer and Pucillo both struggled against opponents that were able to execute great strategies. Cornell's 149 avoided the first period takedown and then rode well on top. Pucillo's opponent did an excellent job of confounding Mike later in the match by reacting differently than most opponents. He began to get Mike in trouble, broke through with some scores and tightened it up. These things happen. Mike won because he's a warrior. Same for Lance....It's a shame that Johnstone didn't finish that early takedown against Leen. That would almost certainly have kept Leen from earning the major. Still, it's not like Johnstone quit. Leen's just really talented....Sponseller v Lewnes was a great bout. Two aggressive guys got after it. Lewnes is the best guy in the country at 165. Colt's probably his toughest opponent....Rella actually looked better in defeat to Anceverage than he has in most matches this season. He seemed motivated. Hopefully, he can build off his effort. Incidentally, IMO Rella is a small 174....Morrison got the win but looked tired. I'm wondering if he's 100% this weekend. He looks like he needs some rest. Then again, it was another win for Morrison over a top 20 opponent. Hard to complain about your undersized walk-on 285 beating top guys.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

Actually Triggas did pretty good in keeping it close against Nickerson, but never really had him in trouble, I ,too, am getting frustrated with Gardner, especially after the nice start he got off to early in the season. It's puzzling to say the least. Maybe bringing Weakley back and seeing what he can do might help. Colt beat #2 Fay earlier, that was great. Taking #1 Lewnes into OT is no disgrace. They seem to know each others moves pretty well by now, so I guess execution will determine the outcome of future matches. I hope they can finish the weekend on a good winning note.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

Jason Cook did more in his loss to Askren than Gardner did all day.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2009

I keep thinking about this Gardner situation. The truth, of course, is that I am offering opinions from the cheap seats. His loss was disheartening. But wrestlers slump. Look at Jaggers. He narrowly beat his N.Iowa opponent this morning but it was a win he desperately needed. His next match against Cornell, he suddenly resembled last year's national champ. Then he found a way to beat a very tough kid from Missouri in OT. Just one win can sometimes get you back on track.

I don't know if Gardner can turn it around with one win. But it's possible.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

I don't know I have been watching Gardner pretty much all season he just seems to run out of gas quick. I hate to question ones heart but sometimes with this kid I do. He simply look to quit this match. If it is due to injury then my bad but I like to see weakly myself...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

The other thought on Gardner is that it's the weight cut. I'm not convinced of it but it's a possibility. This kid is easily as big as Morrison if allowed to eat normally. This kid may never have had to cut weight in his life.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

I would rather watch Weakly make some crazy attempt at a throw while he is down by only 3 with 30 seconds left and end up on his back giving up 5 points to allow a major than watch Gardner wrestle like he did yesterday. His effort is pathetic.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 13, 2009

Let's not take too much of a grass is greener approach. If you recall, that was one of the perplexing things about Weakley. He sometimes won't shoot as the clock runs down and he is down by a small margin. It happened when Gardner beat him in the wrestle-off.

► Add to the Discussion