Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: National Duals Wrapup
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

After several puzzling performances--a disaster in Vegas, a struggle to victory over Kent--Ohio State found their stride at National Duals. It's not a perfect lineup but Sponseller, Jaggers, Humphrey, Palmer and Pucillo all showed great stuff. These five went a combined 18-2. The two losses were Sponseller's defeats to the #1 Lewnes in OT and last year's national 3rd Marable, 3-2. All five of these men have the capacity to finish high at nationals and lead Ohio State to another top five finish. The rest of the lineup, excepting 197 for the moment, has a competitor that knows how to win.

4-1 record at this event is a very good showing. Credit goes to the wrestlers and coaches who seem to have got their squad back on stride. Given that Cornell may win National Duals, their one point loss in what was essentially a dead even dual is not an embarrassment. We'll see what transpires the rest of the season, but barring injury, the Bucks appear ready for another strong showing in March.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

Sponseller very close losses to # 1 and # 3 proves he is legit-- and especially Humphey beating Mike Grey and Jayson Ness, a big breakthru weekend for these 2 fellows.

Rella & Gardner have not been in the program long--- and yes Gardner is a work-in-progress but season far from over. Overall certainly reason to be optimistic.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

Bob: Good to read you here again.

I messed up. The final record for "The Big Five" was 23-2.
Rella looked terrific against Minny.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

My thoughts...

From what I'm reading about Sponseller, it sounds like what is making the difference from his performance last year is his mat wrestling (particularly riding) and his strategy. He still pushes the pace like he always has, but doesn't over pursue; he's now a much more well rounded wrestler. I think his losses this weekend can only serve as motivation for the future.

I also think that Humphrey has emerged as one of the Buckeyes' most consistent performers. He was always expected to contribute well, but he has come through on many of the swing matches and is an essential part of the line up right now.

Great weekend for Jaggers too. Looks like he's getting back on track and ready to head into the brutal Big 10 dual part of the season.

Morrison's match with Minnesota sounds reminiscent of his match with Porter. If he can finish those last seconds of his matches a bit better, he will be in great shape.

Looks like the Bucks have regrouped and are back on track!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 11, 2009

Is this deja vu all over again? Last year they lost a close early round match to Central Mich. then went on a winning streak including wins over Hofstra, Penn State, Northwestern. This year we go on to beat Boise St, Missouri & Minnesota. WOW!! Special props to our 2 National Champs; we know Mikey is still getting into wrestling shape after missing the first part of the season, but he still managed wins against some tough guys, especially Smith from Boise St., and J did what he had to do to win his matches. I thought the Cornell match was more like the "old J". And he avenged his loss to Minn. big time. Sponseller also avenged a loss to Fay; this time he countered lots of Fay's rolls and seemed to know he had more gas in the tank. Marable match was good and I think he knows he can penetrate Marable's defense. The only TD was that throw-by by Marable. Colt got the leg a few times, but failed to convert. Lewnes, Marable and Colt seem to be the 3 top guys, maybe Reader?? but they have yet to wrestle. But overall I liked the weekend; now they get 2 weeks off. One more thing, Nemec's loss to a tough Boise St. kid (6-2) was a little misleading, Sean was only down 3-2 with 30 seconds. left, and got taken down and ridden out (1 point riding time). I thought he did a nice job against a real tough opponent.
PS: Sanders (Minn) & Clark (ISU) had good weekends, Clark even beating NCAA Champ Escobedo, and OSU has a commitment from Monroeville HS Junior Logan Stieber who beat both of them in FS this past summer. What kind of a wrestler is this kid gonna be in 2 years?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

Jack: When discussing 165, you didn't mention Morningstar/Iowa. He's probably #2 right now.

165: Lewnes, Morning*, Marable, Sponseller, Reader, Dwyer, Fay, Howe.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

Yeah, your right, Morningstar has beaten Reader and is one of the top 165 guys.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

this team is shaping up to challenge for top 3 at NCAAs--- and if u r top 3 and if healthy ----and with a favorable call or two and favorable bracketing in a couple key wts, Ohio St can challenge for # 1 or at least be in good position to take advantage of other contenders struggles.

so much is mental and so much is health, and bracketing.

Ohio St needs some more from Triggas-- and for Morrison and Johnstone and Rella to keep improving.

Gardner or Weakley may be a year away, but this season is Not over yet..

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

Returning AA's by program

Iowa State: 6: Gallick, Fanthorpe, Sanderson, Reader, Zabriskie, Varner. 125 Clark is also very good

Iowa: 5: Falck, Tsirtsis, Metcalf, Borschel, Keddy. Morningstar, Dennis, Erekson and Beatty are all in the mix at their respective weights.

Cornell: 5: Leen, Lewnes, Nickerson, Anceverage and Grey.

Ohio State: 3: Pucillo, Palmer and Jaggers. Bucks are the only team in the country with three 2x AA's in their lineup. Sponseller and Humphrey are very good as well.

Nebraska: 4: Brester, Browne, Dwyer, Burroughs. Jones could help.

Mizzou: Marable, Askren, Jordan. Ellis and Hoehn are also tough.

These are your most talented squads in terms of national potential. Penn State, Edinboro, Wisconsin, Boise State and Okie State are probably next best.

Iowa will likely win the national tourney in spite of how tough Iowa State looks on paper. They seem more motivated and have a history of performing best when it matters. After Iowa and Iowa State, Cornell and Ohio State both have five really tough wrestlers. If something went wrong for Iowa, and Iowa State faltered, Cornell or Ohio State could be right there.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

I think Sponseller waxes Morningstar. He is always going to have problems with Lewnes because of how good he is defensively. He also has a big tank for the third preiod.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 12, 2009

Speaking of gas tanks, did anyone find it strange that Nick Marable had some sort of "injury" time in the middle of the 3rd period against Colt? I was watching him over at the Mizz. bench, and it didn't appear to me that he was injured?? And it was right around the time when Colt was really starting to push the action. Seemed strange to me.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 13, 2009

Marable came into this season as the consensus #1 at the weight but has struggled. He was a big 165 last year so it's not hard to imagine that the old culprit--wt cutting--is affecting him.

Lewnes is the obvious #1 right now but is not dominating. Guys that tend to win close a lot often falter at nationals. I think Sponseller, with continued improvement, has a reasonable shot to be national champ. But, this weight is deep. No one can say for sure what will happen.

► Add to the Discussion