Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent State at Cleveland State
John Ice added to this discussion on January 14, 2009

Will this be broadcast by OWR on Saturday?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 15, 2009

Yes, it will be broadcasted. It appears I will be doing all the announcing and color, with Dan working the board at the radio station. So if anybody wants to make a guest appearance with me, let me know. My email is pcostilow@ohiowrestling.net

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 16, 2009

Anyone familiar with both programs care to give a breakdown? I see CSU winning at 174 and a good match at Heavyweight with Porter vs. Goff. I think Kent will be favored everywhere else.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 16, 2009

Scott: I think you nailed it although I'm not sure CSU is much of a favorite at 174. Depends on where Miller wrestles. Obviously, Kent has a much better squad. But CSU recently beat Ashland, 24-15, in a dual where some of their lineup got impressive wins. Stehura commented that he feels the team's health is improving and that some wrestlers are hitting their stride.

Here's how it looks.

125: Bedelyon v Keller--Keller has been competitive against quality competitors. An upset is not out of the question but would be a surprise.

133: Mitcheff v Palivoda--Palivoda has struggled to wrestle competitively in D1. Mitcheff is an AA candidate. Big advantage to Kent.

141: Lashaway v Cavello. Lashaway will be a heavy favorite.

149: Sponseller v Nicholson--Sponseller or Depoy will be be favored but this is another weight where CSU has a shot.

157: Tice v Carlo--Ross Tice has been better than expected this season. Carlo has had a few solid moments. Tice has the edge.

165: Simpson v Michaels--Robbie Michaels looked good against Ashland. He may be one of the CSU wresters that's finally healthy. Simpson can be very good--or not so good. The good Simpson is the favorite.

174: Estep v Cummins--Cummins wrestled this weight against Ashland while Miller moved up to 184. It might help CSU to use Miller here because he's less likely to win against Kilgore. Estep has worked his butt off to become a competitive D1 wrestler. Estep would be favored over Cummins and a slight underdog against Miller.

184: Kilgore v Miller or Cummins--The highly ranked Kent frosh is the solid favorite.

197: Chine gets a forfeit

285: Porter v Goff--I love Goff because he wrestles he's strong as an ox with a chip on his shoulder. Porter, however, gets the edge because of size and the fine season he's having.

It's possible CSU could get shut out in this dual--and wrestle well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 16, 2009

Sad that a DI school has to forfeit a weight class.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 17, 2009

I was looking at CSU's roster and they have a 197 pounder on it. Is he injured or is there no one that they can bump up to wrestle? Also, what's the deal with Marcus Effner? I knew that he has struggled with health...

The CSU roster seems to have depleted quite a bit from last season... anyone have any insight on this?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2009

Mike, et. al:

CSU has some injuries and there has been some attrition over the last few seasons. Ben Stehura and staff have been actively recruiting and already have committments from four wrestlers to join next year's squad. Three are upper wts so obvioulsy they're trying to address 197 and 285.

I wasn't thrilled when CSU hired Stehura as it seemed like a step backward. But he deserves time to see if he can do a better job of recruiting. He also needs a chance to show what he can do as far as improving existing talent.

CSU needs to bring in a lot of wrestlers over the next few seasons as they lack depth throughout the lineup esp, in the middlewts.

I was actually surprised when CSU recently beat Ashland. I thought Ashland had the more balanced lineup going in but guys like Keller and Michaels stepped up. It's a measure of my low expectations that I'd consider a win over a D2 squad a step in the right direction. But it is what it is. CSU is one of the worst teams in D1 so any win is a good one. Hopefully, they've hit bottom and will move forward.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2009

Mike, et. al:

CSU has some injuries and there has been some attrition over the last few seasons. Ben Stehura and staff have been actively recruiting and already have committments from four wrestlers to join next year's squad. Three are upper wts so obvioulsy they're trying to address 197 and 285.

I wasn't thrilled when CSU hired Stehura as it seemed like a step backward. But he deserves time to see if he can do a better job of recruiting. He also needs a chance to show what he can do as far as improving existing talent.

CSU needs to bring in a lot of wrestlers over the next few seasons as they lack depth throughout the lineup esp, in the middlewts.

I was actually surprised when CSU recently beat Ashland. I thought Ashland had the more balanced lineup going in but guys like Keller and Michaels stepped up. It's a measure of my low expectations that I'd consider a win over a D2 squad a step in the right direction. But it is what it is. CSU is one of the worst teams in D1 so any win is a good one. Hopefully, they've hit bottom and will move forward.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 18, 2009

Looks like CSU got beat up. Anyone know what happened at 165?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 18, 2009

Michaels kicked Simpson in the head during the third period. Score was 8-6 Simpson at the time. It seems like it was a very competitive match and that Michaels must have overreacted at some point. He (Michaels) has been wrestling well. Now, he'll have to sit for a dual.

John Keller is competing at the Kent Open at 133 pounds for CSU. He's currently in the semis.

► Add to the Discussion