Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Taylor bumping up to 140 to take on Palmer
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Is this Patrick Campbell the same Patrick Campbell of Wadsworth Foot & Ankle? If so, thank you for your support of the radio show."

I are the man, the myth, the legend (in my own mind of course). I'm happy to support the radio show and website. I love the level of accountability on this site. I hate that there are far less posts on this board during the season than other sites. But, when you hold people accountable for what they say, well, they tend to stay quiet and hide. On the upside (as expected), the conversation is always great here. Keep up the faith on the radio show. I think it will continue to grow if you guys hang in there.

"Do we think Taylor stays at 140 for state? If Matt Stephens can hold 135 comfortably, he might have a better shot at a state title there than at 140. At 140, however, Taylor smokes Hightower, who just pinned Stephens. Does Stephens beat Miller, though?"

Hmmm, not sure. I see your logic. I'm not sure if Stephens can continue this weight or not. That could be bad for Stephens. If he cannot handle the weight loss, he will not win at 135 either. It would be good for David. Maybe we should start a thread that surmises all of the weights David might be able to win this year (how's that for a can of worms?). I'm sure they will discuss it, but Jeff will certainly do what's best for the team.

"As far as collegiate prospects go, Taylor is just so refined. His technique is perfect. Palmer lamented to us when he was in studio that there is nobody in the room to push him right now, and I wonder if he hasn't become somewhat complacent. He talked about going down to OSU and wrestling Jaggers, and how awesome it was. I have to think some focus and spark will come back next year when he is pushed."

I'm pretty biased about Graham, being a Champaign County native and having been around the Jordans, Dernlans, etc. throughout my entire young career. My gut feeling is that David will have some pretty significant collegiate success from the getgo. We'll see. As I said to Hank, a lot can happen in the next year.

Yea, Palmer even laminted that yesterday with Zeb. Lance had a little better room at Ed's in the later years than Collin. I agree, it will all balance out next year. A little better conditioning for Collin yesterday and this would have been a 1 point match (either way).

I hope we get to see these guys wrestle again at the college level, but I do think David is going to continue to grow and Collin is likely starting to level off.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

I just saw the match. One word...

EPIC!!!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Taylor's mat skills will make him very good in college as a true frosh. He'll need to find the right weight class. I think he could be 149-157 in just a year."

Where David has a huge advantage over 99.9% of the rest of incoming college freshman is his mat skills. There isn't one college coach that won't tell you that mat skills are the biggest area of weakness in their recruits in general.

I think he starts his college career at 157 or 165 after a redshirt.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

Taylor has accepted Dapper Dan invite for US team at 135, Grajales at 140, Orlando Scales at 215.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

So Scales could see Ironman champ McMullen, interesting. Not sure who Taylor could see, as Kindig is still a junior. Maybe they send Waltko or Kelly up from 130.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

I would bet on any PA state champ to beat Scales. He's strong and has great hips but no offensive skills.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

McMullen looked good at the Ironman, but not that good. Tavanello pushed him to the brink in the first match of the tournament before losing 5-4.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Remember that McMullan is coming from the Preps, so the PA group may not pick him. Same with Gordon at 135, which would have been the most likely pick among a senior.

In terms of Scales' PA opponent, the best PA kid in the weight is a junior Antonio Giorgio. However, Brandon Palik is a pretty solid senior in that weight class. Plus, you could bump up Zac Bennett into the 215 class - as Jon Fausey or Tony Dallago would be more than viable 189# wrestlers for PA.

Looking at PA 140's, you're talking about either Dane Johnson or Ryan Kemmerer in all probability.

If you're looking at a year for PA to ever win the DD again, it is NEXT year. Kindig, Alton, Alton, Peppelman, Evans, Giorgio, etc.

John Taylor added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Can anybody braek down the box scores for the tri-meet? I would like to see how everyone fared. Thanks in advance.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

"If you're looking at a year for PA to ever win the DD again, it is NEXT year. Kindig, Alton, Alton, Peppelman, Evans, Giorgio, etc."

yep PA has a truly great junior class---- but PA did win a couple times in late 90's or early 2000s or thereabouts. What happened was Dapper Dan and Bob Ferraro's NHSCA Senior nationals were on same weekend in a few years and the Dapper Dan USA teams did not get anywhere near their top choices, subseqently the PA team won a couple times.

Right now AWN is ranking an amazing 27 PA kids, compared to 13 Ohio, 11 California.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on January 27, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Jim Wagnild added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Quote from John Taylor's post:

"Can anybody braek down the box scores for the tri-meet? I would like to see how everyone fared. Thanks in advance."

Here You go: http://www.ag-man.com/Results.htm

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

"Right now AWN is ranking an amazing 27 PA kids, compared to 13 Ohio, 11 California.[/quote]

Bob: You are way too much of a PA homer. Start ranking some Ohio boys.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Here is a link to the results from the Dapper Dan from 1975 to the present. Some pretty interesting results and some awesome wrestlers have participated in this event.

http://www.wrestlingclassic.com/all_classic_results.htm

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

"Right now AWN is ranking an amazing 27 PA kids, compared to 13 Ohio, 11 California.[/quote]

Bob: You are way too much of a PA homer. Start ranking some Ohio boys.
------------------------------------------

ha, ha, i agree----- but if u go to theMat.com forum the PA whiners don't think its enough, i'm called an "Ohio homer", fact is i cant win.

Editor Ron Good collaborates with me on the individual rankings and we do the best we can to be fair--- we go strictly by a kids high school resume all things considered regardless where he is from.

this year it just turns out theres alot of talent in PA, let's see if it translates into NCAA AAs in about 3 or 4 years ??

but Ohio does have alot of kids # 1 or close to it, so Ohio should be well represented too in College AAs in a few years, like Ohio has been the last couple years when Ohio had the most AAs of any state.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2