Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio RTC (Olympic Regional Training Center)
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 21, 2009

Here is a new site I just learned about. It was set up by the guys at FloWrestling and is run by Tommy Rowlands. It is called Ohio RTC. Here is the web address: http://www.ohiortc.com/

From what I gathered, it is focused more on post-college wrestling, but being dedicated to Ohio wrestling I found it interesting. Check it out, you might like what you see.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2009

Great...just what I need...another excellent site to visit and waste time...

I've already read the tribute to Ray Mendoza. It was really well done. It gives a strong sense of what an inspiring figure he was to those fortunate enough to have known him. The writer is unnamed. I'd like to know who wrote it.

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on January 21, 2009

They have videos of an RTC practice up on flowrestling.org right now showing Humphrey training with Shawn Bunch, and Sponseller training with Keith Gavin. I'm sure having training partners of that caliber has a lot to do with both Sponseller and Humphrey's improvement.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on January 22, 2009

I though Joe Heskett was not supposed to wrestle anymore? I saw him wrestling in a workout on the RTC website Video archive.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

I have a couple questions/thoughts about the Ohio RTC.
-Can high school level athletes be "developmental athletes" and train at the center?
-Are Ohio State wrestlers automatically "developmental athletes" at the RTC?
-Are guys like Jaggers and Pucillo planning on pursuing freestyle after college?
-Does the RTC provide training and stipend for Greco Roman wrestlers as well as freestyle?

This looks like a great training opportunity for Ohio guys to come home and train freestyle. It also presents a potentially great training situation for the Buckeye wrestlers (much like Hawkeye Wrestling Club does for Iowa). Will Ohio guys come "home" to train? Schlatter, Luke, and Lester all come to mind as potential candidates.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 10, 2009

Lester and Schlatter both wrestled well this weekend. Anyone know the answers to any of my questions.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on February 11, 2009

As far as I know, they don't have a Greco program, but I would imagine that it could be a possibility down the road (Nikko would be a great guy to help jumpstart that when he graduates). I'm also guessing that Schlatter sticks around Minnesota until he finishes school, but after that I hope he does train at Ohio State. Think of the workouts Sponseller and Nemec would be getting working out with guys like Schlatter and Gavin (in addition to the great coaching staff that is already in the room!).

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 11, 2009

If they decided to do a Greco Program there are a number of current and former Buckeyes with great Greco credentials.

121-Triggas-Greco seems to be his best style. Multiple time Fargo champ and sucess at junior level.

132-Hump-Fantastic in freestyle and Greco.

145-I've often wondered how Palmer would be in Greco. His solid position and powerful build could make him well suited for this style. Powerful legs and hips could make him dangerous in par terre. Maybe this is a better option after graduation than freestyle which will have Metcalf and junior world champ Bubbas Jenkins.

163-Lester does not seem to be competing for the Olympic Development Center anymore (was listed as NYAC for Schults). Could he be talked into coming to C-bus as a possible coach/competitor.

185-I don't know his current status but John Weakley was a Fargo runner-up in greco.

211-Bergman could compete here in freestyle or Greco. He seems to be concentrating on freestyle but this could still be an option.

285-Hiles was a Fargo Champ in Greco and it definitley seems to be his best style.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2009

Morrison has had some good showings in both freestyle and greco at 211. He's very nice sized for that weight class.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 12, 2009

Some good information.
http://www.ohiortc.com/videos/speaker/191/144183-ohio-rtc-21109-clip-5

Looks like Jaggers and Pucillo will be competing in freestyle.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2009

Mike Pucillo would make a great freestyler under current rules. He's hard to score on and can't easily be pushed around. He's nice size for the weight class--which is very important when you consider that there are over 20 pound gaps between 74, 84 and 96 kilos. I think that if he worked hard, he'd be a very serious prospect to make the Olympics in 2012.

Jaggers at 145.5 would be intriguing. He'd have to adapt his style but there are plenty of great freestylers with unorthodox builds (Satiev--nuff said) and some unconventional moves in their repetoire. And, the weight class would suit him.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

I would love to see Pucillo wrestle freestyle after college. I would love to see him at the London Games.

My 6 year old is just starting his wrestling career and he is just starting to be old enough to really sit and watch wrestling (for a little while) with his Dad. He has taken to Mike Pucillo because I tend to tell him to pay attention to this or pay attention to that a little bit more with Pucillo then most (but mostly because he likes to say his name, he thinks it is cool.) I love watching Jaggers and Humphreys and those guys, but we really like Mike at our house. I would love for Pucillo to be moving on to that ultimate level in 2012. My son would be old enough to really be into it and truly make Mike Pucillo a role model.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

Scott: I think Pucillo has a unique talent for wrestling that's not easy to emulate. His style is easy to analyze but almost impossible to stop for a full match. I watched him work out with Gavin on the RTC website. They went to the clinch with Gavin in on Mike's leg and Mike got free instantly. It occured to me that he might be someone who'd actually be better off losing the coin flip because of his unique ability to shrug off leg attacks.

My son is also 6. What a great age. It's unlikely my son will ever be a wrestler. He hasn't a hint of meanness in him. My eldest is much more athletic but, alas, a girl. It's soccer, swimming and track for her.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

Is Tommy going to be competing again?

If they have Bergman, Bunch and Tommy, they have three legitimate Olympic threats. Throw Reece in there and that is great, too. Who knows--maybe Gavin or Pucillo joins them too. I don't really know that either of them has proven anything in freestyle yet, but they could have potential.

Also, what if Schlatter came back? Then, let's not forget Logan Stieber. Yes, he won't even be in college for a year and a half, but he is already ranked at the senior level.

This lineup could potentially be great:
55kg: Logan Stieber
60kg: Shawn Bunch/Reece Humphrey
66kg: ???
74kg: Dustin Schlatter
84kg: Mike Pucillo/Keith Gavin
96kg: J.D. Bergman
120kg: Tommy Rowlands

I really don't know who would be at 66kg. Maybe Jaggers or Palmer, or maybe someone unpredictable person like Bunch.

► Add to the Discussion