Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Hofstra
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Here's the matchups courtesy of buckeyewrestling.com which has a great preview section on this dual.

The Ohio State University v. Hofstra University
Hofstra University - Hempstead, New York
January 25, 2009

125: Nikko Triggas (OSU; so; 16-9) vs. Steve Bonanno (H; fr; 23-9)
133: #2 Reece Humphrey (OSU; rs jr; 18-0) vs. #9 Lou Ruggirello (H; jr; 19-2)
141: #12 J Jaggers (OSU; 5th sr; 12-5) vs. Justin Accordino (H; RS fr; 15-8)
149: #4 Lance Palmer (OSU; jr; 15-2) vs. Paul Gillespie (H; RS fs; 16-12)
157: #15 Jason Johnstone (OSU; 5th sr; 17-7) vs. Jonny Bonilla-Bowman (H; RS jr; 16-6)
165: #4 Colt Sponseller (OSU; so; 20-3) vs. #20 Ryan Patrovich (H; RS so; 13-4)
174: Dave Rella (OSU; jr; 12-7) vs. #11 Alton Lucas (H; jr; 16-4)
184: #2 Mike Pucillo (OSU; RS jr; 7-0) vs. Ben Clymer (H; fr; 15-7)
197: Cody Gardner (OSU; fr; 13-8) vs. Anthony Tortora (H; RS jr; 14-11)
285: #18 Corey Morrison (OSU; RS jr) vs. Jordan Enck (H; fr; 13-11)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Here is audio streaming.

http://hawc1pl.streamwrhu.net/win.html#

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Apparently ends 19-13 in favor of our Buckeyes.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Very exciting to listen to. Hofstra did not back down one bit.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Did anyone watch Humphrey's match yet? That back arch was nasty!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Was that the "illegal move" he was penalized for? It was hard to follow the broadcast because everyone was talking at the same time and with crowd noise on top of that it was hard to figure out what was happening. Where are the videos?

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

He had double over hooks and basically did a back flip. I don't know how a throw to a persons back can be called illegal. Check out the link below at about the 8:04 mark.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234547-sunday-brunch-ohio-state-vs-hofstra/129463-133-2-reece-humphrey-os-dec-9-lou-ruggirello-h-7-4

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

Without question one of the sickest throws I've ever seen. Wow. Humphrey is a beast.

Oh, and Martin's reaction is priceless.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2009

At the 2001 National Duals, I watched Tom Grossman of Oklahoma hit the same throw on Nick Preston of Ohio State. Preston landed on his head and was woozy the whole match. Ref did not call it illegal but he did cheat Grossman out of a takedown with under 10 seconds to go in regulation that would have clinched the match for OU. Instead, Preston won it in OT setting up the most miraculous come from behind in the history of the program. The following bout was between Tom Rowlands and Leonce Crump. it went into OT and Rowlands won by pin when Crump stopped wrestling after giving up the takedown. Had Crump bellied down, OU would have still won the dual. Just a little nostalgia. I still can't believe I was there to witness it.

I don't' know why the ref called the throw illegal. Maybe Fred Feeney can offer some guidance.

Jack Priestley added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

It was well worth the 5 hr drive each way to see this match. I was sitting near the scorer's table when Tom Ryan got the explanation from the ref. Evidently you can't throw someone straight over your head. You either have to take him slightly one way or the other. Not sure that was the exact explaination, but that's the best I could make of it.
Reece Humphrey is the real deal, he really stepped up in crunch time with the match on the line. A couple of other observations. Triggas is a great rider. He rode his man out the whole second period. At that point I was thinking take top. Nikko took down and got turned.
Rella gave Lucas a good fight. He seems to be rounding into shape.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

Jack: Triggas is excellent on top; it's bottom where he struggles. He'd beaten Bonnano on his feet and from top position. Seems like the Bucks staff didn't realize that top was Bonnano's strength or they were just being stubborn. Either way it wasn't good strategy to choose bottom. Everyone wants their guys to be good in all positions but it's not always realistic esp. in D1 where almost everyone excels at something. Bucks are fortunate the loss didn't cost them the dual.

Former Buckeye 2x AA Eric Smith loved being on his feet but hated bottom. He always said that he saw no reason to take down if he could handle his opponent from neutral. Now, his philosophy shouldn't apply to everybody. But his notion--that you win matches by staying in the positions where you are better than your opponent--has validity.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

I remember a few years back with some of the rule changes, the "Salto" throw...or something like that was banned. It's basically the double overhooks and taking them directly over your head to their back. Possible injury to the head, neck, and shoulders being the main reason for it being ruled illegal. I'm pretty sure that was the throw by Humphrey. However, I'm just a casual fan, so I'm no rule expert. But...WOW what a throw! If this had been freestyle, 5 points, Bam!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

Reece's throw did put Ruggirello in danger but it seems like a legit counter to the bearhug. I think the rules book people need to think about that situation.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on January 26, 2009

Good looking suplay...however...by rule...a full back suplay from a rear-standing position is illegal.

I watched it on Flo and it was a straight back suplay.

Great FS/Greco move but illegal in both NCAA and NFHS

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

It isn't so much the wrestlers that know how to do the move correctly, it is the large number that don't know how to do that move correctly why it is illegal. Much like the backflip was made illegal in high school this year. The wrestlers see someone do it, so they all think they can. I had a guy knock himself out cold at Ashland University a couple of years ago doing the back flip. Let's face it, that move while awesome to watch, could easily injure one or both wrestlers if tried by someone of less experience.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next