Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Let's revisit a topic: OSU 157
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"Let them wrestle-off and hope the best wrestler wins. I think both are awesome."

DC: something about your response made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR7hr4LLQg

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

I just deleted a really bad joke about Chris Farley. I hope no one had to read it. It was only funny if your job at one time included viewing very graphic crime scene photos.

On the topic: why couldn't Nemec wrestle the dual Big10 matches against those Johnstone has had trouble but as the senior let Johnstone go to NCAAs unless Nemec beats him in a wrestle-off? I can only assume that hasn't happened yet.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2009

Roe: That would not be a confidence-building strategy.

You either wrestle Johnstone or Nemec. You can't say to Johnstone, "well Poeta's going to kick your butt, so we'll let Nemec take the beating."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

Hank: I get what you're saying but teams play match-ups all the time. Also, we are talking about a 4th (or 5th) year senior. If confidence is a consideration at this point something is really wrong. He clearly has been a team player.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

You already know what Johnstone can do. He has talent but is not going to get any better. He is as good as he is going to be. If Nemec starts he can't help but get better this year. How much? Who knows. It could be a lot.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

John: You see it the way I see it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

if u have 2 wrestlers of more or less equal ability at same wt and if starter Not quite giving you what the team needs-- then it makes sense to sit the starter and let the backup show what he can or cannot do in a starting role . Can always stick original starter back in, right ??

a very famous example about 15 or so years ago, coach Gable sat his starter and brought Lincoln McIlravy out of redshirt in mid-season ---and MciIravy won an NCAA title, in fact i think McIlravy's points won the team title for Iowa.

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

Sean Nemec has had the opportunity to wrestle only one AA class opponent this year, that being Adam Hall of Boise. Based on the score and what I have read he was not outclassed. The only way Nemec reaches his potential is to have the opportunity to wrestle more kids of this level. I have admired and pulled for Jason to reach what I thought could AA level this final year. He indeed has given his all for TOSU throughout his career. At this point however, I think we have seen his best. Nemecs best is yet to come and I would like to see it play out sooner rather than later. If I'm Brands, I put Nemec in. If Hellickson, it's Johnstone. I'm not sure what Coach Ryan will do in the end, but I'm just glad I'm not in his shoes. I know I would not like to have to tell jason his run was over.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

"I know I would not like to have to tell jason his run was over."

it happened to T.J. Enright last season. Head coach has to make that tough call for the team.

***********BTW, i just learned Nemec will start Friday night, u heard it here.
-----The janitor in Ryan's office is a former CIA operative, he just sent me an encrypted message via satellite beam. Well, maybe not exactly but Nemec is definitely starting Friday night, let's see how he does ???

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

These are the kind of matches Nemec needs. Kinser is another AA canidate. Go Bucks.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

I like the move. Kinser's tough, I saw him against Penn State. Very funky style. Should give Nemec a good match. This also gives Johnstone a rest for the Safratowich match on Sunday vs. Minn.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 29, 2009

if Nemec looks good vs Kinser, i am sure he will wr Sunday.

This is not mop-up duty, its a serious test to see who can help the team most down the road. Ohio st after all is trying to be at least a top 3 team again this season.

Iowa has 8 scorers at NCAA--- Ohio St has 5 very very good ones and needs to find a couple more scorers from the likes of Johnstone/Nemec, Rella, Triggas, Morrison, and Gardner.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 29, 2009

Good discussion guys. It will be interesting to see Nemec tested against Big 10 competition. Kinser is a scrapper with a nasty headlock. I agree with the point of tOSU needing points at NCAA from more than just their top five. If the top five perform lights out (all top 4) and other guys score this good be a national title team. Iowa will have alot of guys score. I don't think they have a favorite other than Metcalf but they have alot of guys that could make a run at the finals.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 30, 2009

Two keys to watch for tonight in the Nemec v Kinser match. Kinser will push the over/underhook position in an attempt to set up the hip toss. I am very interested to see how Nemec handles this position. He will need to maintain position and not get overly extended.

Also, the scramble from unorthodox situations will be a telltale sign as to whether Nemec is prepared to win. He needs to prevent any major funk with solid wrestling.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 2, 2009

So what happens now? Did Nemec do enough to stay in the line up? It does not sound like it after listening to Ryans interview.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next