Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA Qualifiers
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

The first of three coaches surveys was released for D1. Each weight class is ranked. The ranked wrestlers listed are the most likely to qualify for nationals based on the new system.

Buckeyes have 9 with only 197 unqualified. Dave Rella is on the bubble at 174.

I don't claim to be an expert on this system. These rankings are one of the tools that will be used to determine qualification. I also believe that a strong showing at conference tourneys is another qualifying tool. But top seven at Big Tens will no longer be automatic.

http://www.flowrestling.org/topics/view/63-who-is-going-to-ncaas

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

Kent currently has six ranked guys: 125, 133, 141, 184, 197, 285.

CSU has Goff--the old days of placing top 3-4 out of 7 at the EWL's are gone. EWL had a good thing going with the old system. Maybe Jordan Keller can work his way in. He's done a nice job.

OU has Ison. Lindsey has been hampered due to injury. He needs some wins and a good conference tourney.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

Hank - there is a quick description on TheMat, I will try to find the thread and post.

Each person in the top 25 gets your conference a qualifying spot, so these wrestlers will each need to qualify.

If your conference does not have a qualifying spot, only the champ would get an automatic bid.

This would use current data to get 250 (approx) qualifiers. From there a selection comittee would select the remaining wild cards to total 33 in each class.

I think this could help the MAC a great deal.

On OU - I see Schuth was ranked for the first time this week in Wreslting Report. I see Schuth, Weinkam, Ison, and Lindsey as all possible entries in this top 25 once they get some more matches under their belt.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

This helped my understanding:

http://www.thematforums.com/myforum/?show_topic=68329&forum_id=3

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2009

try to figure it out all u want, but we wont know if new system makes sense or not until we see WHO IS IN & WHO IS OUT , then we will know.

right now i'm a but confused, no college coach can fully explain to me how one of the 3 criterias, RPI, is calculated . That bothers me.

i have to think this system was inaugurated to give more Quals to the "have nots", i.e. among others but esp the ACC who has ALOT OF INFLUENCE with NCAA bigwigs. Yes they do, heres why, ACC brings in BIG revenue in football and esp basketball to NCAA.

ACC complained about their measly 14 Quals and it got results. i have heard ACC said, well why should we support wrestling if we not getting represented ????

BOTTOM LINE: thers alot going on that is behind closed doors, we will have to see how it shakes out to determine if it works and is fair. I reserve judgement.

► Add to the Discussion