Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Indiana
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 30, 2009

Watching this on Buckeye vision.

Nice takedown with 2 seconds left by Rella to win 6-4. He just bulldogged him down. That's called desire!

Pucillo - takes him down straight to his back and wins by fall in 1st period. Nice Mikey!

Last edited by Patrick Campbell on January 30, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gardner loses 11-4. He was just never in control of this match. He had a takedown in the 3rd to make it 7-4, but gave up the escape and another takedown. There was some riding time as well. He'll get there.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 30, 2009

Both Weakley and Morrison also struggled. If Gardner can stick it out to the end, he will have shown something.

Nice job, Dave Rella.

Morrison loses 4-3. He gave up a reversal early in the 2nd and Everhart never let him back out in the 2nd. Went into the 3rd down 3-1. He got an early escape and Everhart stalled his way out from there. Morrison did get a stalling point to tie 3-3, but the riding time prevailed. That stinks!

Triggas loses 7-1. Escobedo got a reversal in the 2nd and never let him back up. Escobedo got a quick escape in the 3rd and a subsequent takedown. Triggas was able to get an escape, but Escobedo took him back down. Although Escobedo controlled the 2nd and 3rd periods, I thought Triggas looked improved over last year against this level of competetor. I like this kid. I still think he has tons of upside.

Harrington loses 13-4. Harrington gives up takedown and 3 near falls pretty quickly. Harrington does get an escape in the 1st. Ortega gets and escap and takedown in the 2nd. Harrington does get an escape. Harrington takes down in the 3rd. He deos get an escape. Nearly got a takedown but could not finish. Ortega gets another takedown Oretega did have riding time. Good experience for Pat. Hump will be wrestling Sunday.

Jaggers wins 9-6. Jaggers gets a nice early take down in the 1st. Hernandez does get an escape. Jaggers gets another take down in the 1st. Jaggers cautioned for stalling and then penalized for stalling. Hernandez then escaped right before the end of the 1st. Jaggers takes down in the 2nd. Jaggers gets a reversal. Jaggers got a little high with the boots and gives up an escape. Jaggers on top to start the 3rd with about 1:20 in riding time. Hernandez gets a quick escape. Jaggers gets a take down. Hernandez gets another escape. Jaggers looked good. Not as close as the score.

OSU down 13-12

Palmer wins 8-2. Lance with a quick double leg takedown. He rides him out the remainder of the 1st. Tons of riding time. Palmer takes down in the 2nd. He gets a quick reversal. Walpole gets an escape. Palmer gets another take down in the 3rd and a stalling poimt. A point for riding time.

Palmer was a beast on top. And yes Hank, he did get get those boots in some. No turns with the power half though.

Nemec loses 4-2 . 0-0 end of 1st. Nemec takes down in 2nd and gets a reversal. Kinser gets an escape. Kinser gets an escape and take down in the 3rd.

I thought Nemec looked great the 1st 2 periods.

Bucks down 15-16

Sponseller wins 7-2. Colt with 3 nice takedowns. Does give up 2 escapes. Gets an escape.

Who loves the way Colt moves? He is just a treat to watch. No boring matches when he is on the mat!

Bucks win
18-16

125: No. 6 Angel Escobedo (IU) dec. Nikko Triggas (OSU) 7-1; 9-9
133: Matt Ortega (IU) mdec. Pat Harrington, 12-4, 9-13
141: No. 12 J Jaggers (OSU) dec. Andrae Hernandez (IU) 9-6; 12-13
149: No. 4 Lance Palmer (OSU) dec. Nick Walpole (IU), 8-2; 15-13
157: No. 12 Kurt Kinser (IU) dec. Sean Nemec (OSU), 4-2; 15-16
165: No. 2 Colt Sponseller (OSU) dec. Paul Young (IU), 7-2; 18-16
174: Dave Rella (OSU) dec. No. 15 Trevor Perry (IU), 6-4; 3-0
184: No.2 Mike Pucillo (OSU) pinned Eric Cameron (IU), 6-0; 9-0
197: Matt Powless (IU) dec. Cody Gardner (OSU) 11-4; 9-3
285: Nate Everhart (IU) dec. No. 17 Corey Morrison 4-3; 9-6

Good job fellas! Looking forward to Minny on Sunday.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2009

I watched the match. Here are my thoughts.

Rella--Got after it more than he has alot this season. He's a good offensive wrestler and needs to play to his strength. Nice win. Hopefully, he's building towards a strong finish. In hindsight, this upset won the dual for the Bucks. Trevor Perry was coming off a win over one of the best true frosh in the country-- Quentin Wright.

Pucillo--He and Rella won this dual.

Gardner--No one can hold your leg up in the air with one arm if you step down. Also--he needs to lower his level. His confidence issues are leading him to make big mistakes in technique.

Morrison--He has made more from less than most D1 wrestlers but tonite was a setback. No excuse for him to lose. He didn't wrestle hard enough. How do you train daily with Tom Rowlands and lose to Nate Everhart? You don't. Morrison doesn't have great size or physical talent. He wins on effort. Tonite, he failed to capitalize on his greatest asset--heart. Hopefully, it's a lesson learned.

Triggas--Came out hard but didn't have enough game for Escobedo.

Harrington--it was an effort to build on as he did some good things. In my opinion, Bucks need to redshirt Triggas next season and let the best available man start. Is Harrington ready? Tonite was a question mark.

Jaggers--Good and bad. Nice to see Jaggers repeatedly in on shots but the riding issues got out of hand. How do you let Hernandez escape with less than 10 seconds to go in the period? Bad match judgement for someone so accomplished. Also, I didn't like seeing him hanging on to a leg at the end of the match. J. is a finisher. Too much can go wrong when you hang on.

Palmer--Dominated a seasoned opponent. Walpole is no meatball. Lance's negative is he can't score in bunches from neutral. But his positive is that his opponent's can't score on him. From a coaching standpoint, it was a very good effort.

Nemec--Odd match. Nemec wrestled capably yet gave up the winning takedown with more of a whimper than a bang. Guys with killer hips need to be attacked low. The other option is to isolate one leg and control the finish (think high crotch to a single). Nemec wasn't able to mount a capable offense. Still, he was active for most of the match and avoided the big move. Nemec needs more starts to learn his trade at the D1 level. Will he get them?

Sponseller--Solid performance against a tough opponent. Paul Young will probably never AA but he'll always be within a few points of the top guys. Sponseller had his hands full early but dug out the takedown and took control of the match.

Ohio State takes on Minnesota Sunday morning. It's ironic as the same thing happened last year--the Bucks stomped Penn State at National Duals then met them the first weekend of Big Ten comp. Minny will be a tougher challenge in this second go around. Ohio State desperately needs to get better efforts out of 197 and 285 in this matchup. Reece and Jags will also have their hands full. This match will likely be alot closer.

I think you are dead on Hank! Nice assessment.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 31, 2009

Good assessment. Some things I saw.
174-Nice win for Rella. I agree Dave Rella is much better when he is attacking. His last match at the National duals and win tonight spoke to that.
184-Pucillo is dominant with the cross ankle pick/low leg cradle from the front headlock. I think Pucillo looks leaner and meaner than in previous years.
197-Tough go for Gardner. Was in on some nice leg attacks late.
285-Indiana dude kept sticking his thumb in Morrison's eye when they were tieing up.
125-Escobedo too good on his feet for Nikko.
133-Harrington gave up a pancake early but fought hard. Looked to be overmatched at 133. Is the plan for him to move up to 133 next year.
141-I thought Jaggers looked good (givng up the escape at the end of the 1st was a head scratcher). Jaggers is much better when he is attacking. Even when he does not finish clean, it creates scramble situations which often work in J's favor (sometime for the fall).
149-Palmer was workmanlike. He is almost impossible to finish a single on when he gets a whizzer in (strength + flexibility=hard to take down).
157-Nemec is a nice size 157. Nemec was definitely careful with Kinser in the tie ups. Kinser has funny hair.
165-Sponseller wore down a tough opponent in typical fashion. Nice funk to turn the tables on Young in the first period.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2009

Kinser has funny hair

The non-sequiter of the night.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on January 31, 2009

Hank - I agree that Pucillo and Rella won this match. As soon as Rella won, I said that could be a big. At that time I didn't realize that Humphreys was not wrestling. When I saw that, I knew that Rella's win and that pin were more important than I originally thought.

How did Morrison end up on top in the first period without any score? I wasn't paying attention and then realized what the situation was. If somehow he got that as a choice on his part, why did he put no effort whatsoever into gaining some riding time? That was a free point. That is my thought but I don't really know how that happened.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next