Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Everhart Eye Gouge
Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 1, 2009

Lousy wrestling tactic that is bush league.

I have watched a lot of wrestlers go after people's eyes. Some of the worst infractions were those against Trenge from Lehigh.

Referees are not clued into this tactic and it totally can ruin a wrestler's concentration

This tactic has no place in wrestling and it should be automatic disqualification.

Everhart's only way to stop Corey's offense was to slow him down. Mission accomplished.

Lousy way to win. That is how I feel.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2009

Why didn't the ref call a penalty?

It is an unrecognized tactic

Forgive me for the pun, but referees turn a blind eye to it

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2009

Rex: Corey Morrison was exhausted by the third period on Friday night and again this morning. I don't like the eye gauge but it's not why he's lost (and keeps losing). I don't think it's a lack of work ethic.

Sometimes guys tire because they're too nervous or not warmed up enough. It can sometimes be a failure to eat or hydrate properly. Maybe it's fear of failure? Since Morrison is not cutting weight, the staff needs to examine why this keeps happening. If he has more energy he wins both Friday and Sunday.

Hank-

I did not see the duel today as I am on daddy duty.

I look at Corey's performance this way. If he is semi-fatigued( for whatever reason - there is always a reason) he is more likely to have a lapse in concentration. There are factors that contribute to a lapse in concentration.

When you combine factors contributing to performance i.e fatigue, lack of focus, injury, sometimes the sum parts overwhelm the system causing you to make mistakes. So, the eye pokage does play an indirect role in the loss of position. Consequently, I see the eye pokage as a cheap means of distraction from your opponent's mental focus.

Also, he was unable to generate an offense or defense to which we are normally accustomed. We are drawing at straws since we don't see him on a daily basis when trying to diagnose the problem. You do make some valid educated guesses.

Just my thoughts after watching kid shows and hanging with baby all day.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 1, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I look at Corey's performance this way. If he is semi-fatigued( for whatever reason - there is always a reason) he is more likely to have a lapse in concentration. There are factors that contribute to a lapse in concentration.

When you combine factors contributing to performance I.e fatigue, lack of focus, injury, sometimes the sum parts overwhelm the system causing you to make mistakes. So, the eye pokage does play an indirect role in the loss of position. Consequently, I see the eye pokage as a cheap means of distraction from your opponent's mental focus.

Also, he was unable to generate an offense or defense to which we are normally accustomed. We are drawing at straws since we don't see him on a daily basis when trying to diagnose the problem."

Rex,

I appreciate this type of commentary (that you make on a lot of different topics). I tend to keep my comments at the "cream puff" level on college matches for the exact reason you bring out. About every college wrestler out there is a fantastic competitor. In reality, there is not a lot of difference in talent, skills, etc. of these wrestlers. The fact is, college wrestling a tough job (ridiculously hard work and not all that fun when things are not working for you). College wrestlers are under a tremendous amount of pressure in the practice room, in competition, in the classroom, and in life in general. There is no real time to let down your guard. Not only do you have to excel in competition, but you have to out compete your teammates (and the depth of our programs is fantastic right now from NAIA to D1). Anyone with even a small amount of college wrestling experience understands this (and all the more guys like you with your level of experience).

The top level wrestlers above all, are consistent (in their preparation and performance). There are so many factors that play a role in a victory on any given day. Why does Humphrey beat Ness one day and loose to him the next? Why is Morrison struggling right now? We all know Gardner's level of talent is not being reflected by the way he is wrestling right now. There is rarely a simple surface answer. Jaggers is a national champ. We know what he is made of. These guys are tightly matched up and it does not take much mentally or physically to change the competitive advantage of any given match. It might be a poke in the eye. It might be fatigue from studying and taking exams. It might be a lot of things.

When I work with young wrestlers, I always try to teach them that controlling an opponent’s head (physically and mentally) is an important key to scoring and winning. When an opponent is not focused on the match he is in, he will likely not win. This is all the more important to be aware of when assessing the performance of college wrestlers.

Keep up the good encouraging commentary Rex.

Pat-

Regarding Gardner, I am starting to wonder as I read an article on him when he left the VT team and it sounded like he was done wrestling. I don't know him. He is struggling as he does not fight with authority and gives up position too easily. He is only a freshman and can learn how to win if his heart is in it.

I know Corey a little and he did not compete well this weekend. I have not talked to him in awhile but suspect that the midseason grind is taking a toll on him. It sucks when you feel flat before competition. This is his first full season in the lineup. It is so important to stay mentally strong the whole season long otherwise you lose to people that you should be beating. Corey is very good but he does not have the same mental make up as J.D. Bergman. In order for Corey to compete at a high level he probably feels like he has to be "on" to win whereas J.D. thinks he can beat anybody regardless of how he feels or rather he does not care how he feels. I can remember this type of attitude being explained to me by J Robinson during my recruiting visit in high school. His example was Dave Dean, who wrestled below his potential prior to J Robinson and crew taking over the helm at University of Minnesota. Dean was a physical stud but it took a renewed mental approach to wrestling to get him to compete consistently at the level he was capable. He talked about having to be tough at the end of a hard week of practice and not putting too much stock in how you felt but rather in knowing that you were ready to compete at any time regardless of your circumstance.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 2, 2009

I came across a form from the OTC which had a checklist for training optimally and found it interesting. It is by no means comprehensive but it is interesting and it does provide a working model to objectively evaluate oneself:

1) Use a scientifically based training plan and stick to it

2) Know your physical limits

3)Balance hard physical training and the desire to "get the edge" without overtraining. Don't just train hard, train hard and smart

4)Develop a list of non sports related factors that can lead to overtraining and fatigue(work,relationships,diet)

5)Discuss with coach ways to better monitor your physical and psychological feeling states( i.e hold regular meetings to discuss feelings, also, identify physical markers such as resting heart rate)

6)Plan and take mental and physical breaks prior to competitions

Food for thought

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I came across a form from the OTC which had a checklist for training optimally and found it interesting. It is by no means comprehensive but it is interesting and it does provide a working model to objectively evaluate oneself:

1) Use a scientifically based training plan and stick to it

2) Know your physical limits

3)Balance hard physical training and the desire to "get the edge" without overtraining. Don't just train hard, train hard and smart

4)Develop a list of non sports related factors that can lead to overtraining and fatigue(work,relationships,diet)

5)Discuss with coach ways to better monitor your physical and psychological feeling states( I.e hold regular meetings to discuss feelings, also, identify physical markers such as resting heart rate)

6)Plan and take mental and physical breaks prior to competitions

Food for thought"

I love this, Mr. Holman! I, too, enjoy your thoughts.

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on February 5, 2009

What I have noticed both as an official and as a spectator is that wrestlers that use the "eye poke" as a tactic, also will circle so that the official is "blocked" from seeing it. I noticed all the time with Trenge's opponents, they would circle until the official was behind Trenge and then poke. I don't often see a direct poke in the eye when I am at 90 degrees from the two wrestlers, but as they move and circle and I reposition, that seems to be when it happens. I have hit several wrestlers this year after telling them to keep the hands out of the face, only to have them poke someone in the eye. I have no problem penalizing.

► Add to the Discussion