Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: MN Coaching Philosophy - Impact on C.P. and Dustin
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

It is obvious that MN is a top 5, perhaps a top 2, program in the country. It is also obvious that the stable of coaches and workout partners Coach Robinson has assembled is amazing.

That out of the way, I am curious about their strategy with C.P. and Dustin last year.

I remember Dustin and C.P. as two of the most impressive offensive machines in Ohio history, always looking to score no matter the situation or opponent. For this reason I was mystified watching the two of them clam up in situations that screamed for offense throughout last season. C.P. is a national champ in waiting. Even in matches he loses he is usually in control early in the match, when on the offensive, only to let people back in the match by blocking and refusing to go on the offense the entire third period.

Since I don't recall these two wrestling in this form before their arrival in MN, was this a strategy the coaches employ? To get a lead and then to protect at all cost?

Or is there something deeper in play here? Perhaps wrestling the likes of Becker and Lawrence in the room has lead to a lack of offensive confidence?

I know it is almost impossble to criticize the MN coaching staff, since they are coming off a National Title, but I was confused watching two noted offensive MACHINES clam up in crunch time.

I truly felt for C.P. when he lost in the nationals last year. I thought he was clearly the better wrestler. If he opens up he is a national champ.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly and was wondering exactly the same thing throughout the season last year. Anyone know why?

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

Ethan:

In college each weight class has 8-10 in each weight class capable of winning and another 10-12 in each weight class that could upset the top guys if everything goes right for them. Most college wrestlers are so sound defensively that they are able to shut down even the best wrestlers most of the time and this tends to frustrate even the best of the offensive wrestlers. College matches usually come down to the second and third periods and if you are not sound on top/bottom you can be easily beat. Wrestlers who were great high school champions tend to be so good on their feet that they have not developed the top/bottom skills that a good wrestler who is not so offensive on his feet and has had to develope his mat skills to win in high school. This is why you see many good high school wrestlers develope into great college wrestlers, while the great wrestlers sometime tend to struggle for a few years until they develope the needed mat skills. C.P. tends to fit in this group. Dustin however seems to be a more rounded wrestler who may have been suffering injuries this year that slowed him down.

See if you can remember a great explosive offensive wrestler in high school, who also didn't do much mat wrestling, and went to college, started as a freshman and was a big winner immediately. Not many.
Most the ones I can name were also great mat wrestlers. Fried, Heskett, Rowlands, Sanderson, to name a few. The lone exception I can remember to this was Randleman.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

Mr Ramsey--Thanks for a great post that's loaded with insight. I think it's as well thought out as any post ever written on the topic of hs vs college wrestling.

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on July 19, 2007

Wasnt dustin wrestling with a hurt knee?
Probally a possible reason why he was wrestling more defensively.

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on July 20, 2007

Yeah I believe he had a partially torn ACL in his knee, impressive

► Add to the Discussion