Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 33, Penn State 7
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

The Buckeyes got hot in Happy Valley.

#6 The Ohio State University 33, Pennsylvania State University 7
125: #13 Brad Pataky (Penn State) md. Nikko Triggas (Ohio State) 14-3
133: #2 Reece Humphrey (Ohio State) dec. #9 Jake Strayer (Penn State) 8-3
141: #14 J Jaggers (Ohio State) pin Frank Molinaro (Penn State) 3:38
149: #4 Lance Palmer (Ohio State) pin Colby Pisano (Penn State) 2:56
157: #17 Jason Johnstone (Ohio State) dec. Tim Darling (Penn State) 9-4
165: #2 Colt Sponseller (Ohio State) dec. #20 Dan Vallimont (Penn State) 8-3
174: #16 Quentin Wright (Penn State) dec. Dave Rella (Penn State) 3-2
184: #2 Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) pin Matt Dodds (Penn State) 1:35
197: Cody Gardner (Ohio State) dec. Jack Decker (Penn State) 6-3
285: Corey Morrison (Ohio State) dec. Stefan Tighe (Penn State) 6-4

Looks like the Buckeyes was motivated by their loss to Minnesota.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

I see the tactic of moving the regular 184 to 197 backfired this time. The kid Pucillo wrestled showed up as 157/165 on his bio. Talk about a sacrificial lamb...Cody took advantage of the situation, as well he should have. Where was Bubba Jenkins??

Last edited by Jack Muni on February 6, 2009; edited 1 time in total

John Ice added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

I was really hoping Rella could get on a roll, nice to see Hump with riding time,Triggas dissapoints, nice win for Colt and really nice to see Gardner get a win.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

I think Jenkins has an ankle injury.

Rella did not wrestle badly. He got the only TD but was victimized by riding time. I don't think any match should ever be won by the guy that doesn't get a TD in a 3-2 match but college has institutionalized stalling, aka, riding time.

Hugh Gettig added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

Nice win for the Bucks. It's amazing how a loss can motivate a team. Purdue on Sunday and Michigan (on TV, Big Ten netowrk) next Friday. Looking forward to watching that one.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

Great win.

I used to see riding time as an excuse to stall, but now I see it differently. Riding is a skill, and one that counts in college.

Where are the Buckeye faithful on the development of Triggas? Is 125 now a priority for the upcoming recruiting season? Just curious.

OSU is now a top 5 program, year in and year out. It's what we all wanted. A thumping of PSU like this is outstanding.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 6, 2009

The future of 125 is an interesting question. Triggas was a top recruit and has shown some great things in the past. He is clearly in a rut right now and needs to right the ship. It was posted on one of the websites that Triggas should spend less time wrestling Greco-Roman in the offseason and more developing his leg attacks. I thought that was a little harsh but there may be an element of truth to that. A big question for the future is what is Logan Stieber's college weight? I always figured him for a 133 but I saw a lot of talk about him as a 125. I think Stieber is a high All-American right out of the shoot if at 125.

What about this scenario?
2010: Nikko Triggas
2011: Logan Stieber (Redshirt Triggas)
2012: Nikko Triggas at 125, Logan Stieber up to 133

As far as Buckeye recruiting needs I would say 165/174 is a future priority. Nick Heflin projects at 174 and C.J. Magrum probably is a 184. I would like to see the Buckeyes pursue Josh Demas as I think he will continue improve and develop into a truly elite wrestler. This may be a silly question but is Orlando Scales signed? He would be a nice recruit to bolster 197/285.

A couple thoughts:

1) Triggas strength is top. Defense, offense and bottom all need work. Also, his best takedown in high school was a firemans. It's not a successful college takedown. OSU desperately needed a 125 when Ryan arrived and he was one of the top recruits at the time. He's still much better than anyone who's held this weight for Ohio State in years...but that's not saying a lot.

In his match with Sanders, he was fine for half the match but fell apart. I don't know why he can't compete better for seven minutes but he doesn't seem able to stay with the better wrestlers for a full match. I really think his development would be enhanced by a redshirt season next year. He doesn't seem like a big 125 but appears to have issues with the weight cut.

2) 197 remains a big issue for Ohio State as Gardner should move up. I'm not sure Weakley is still involved with the program. Several people have mentioned this to me. So...there's a strong need to land a recruit for this weight. Most of the top guys available are juniors so I doubt there will be any immediate help unless someone transfers.

3) Bucks need to shore up 157 and 165. They are set up for several years at 125-149 (more or less)

4) Anyone know anything about Tony Jameson? I know he blew out his shoulder and had surgery. is he ok? Does he plan to continue wrestling? He's a great talent if they can get him on track.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

Hank- As always, some interesting and in the case of Jameson, alarming observations. Wrestlers with shoulder injuries...sure hope the young man can return.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about Gardner is his weight cut - he wrestled at 215 in HS, then sat out a year - not conducive to weight management. So he probably has cut 25+ pounds to make 197. So your statement that he needs to move up makes a lot of sense. But that will make him a small 285, and I believe we have several 285's already on board, correct?

And who do you see at 174 next year - isn't Rella a senior?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

JP: Rella is only a junior. Indeed the entire Bucks lineup returns next year except for Jaggers and Johnstone.

Ohio State recruited Mass Perry stud, Nick Heflin. He would appear to be your current heir to the 174 lb weight class. In the Brakeman report, Heflin was referred to as a wrestler with a lot of potential. So, take that for what it's worth.

Here's your possible lineup for OSU next season.

125: Triggas (Harrington, Touris)
133: Ian Paddock (Garret Henry, Jacob Vaughn)
141: Reece Humphrey (tony Jameson)
149: Lance Palmer (Collin Palmer)
157: Sean Nemec (Jared Kusar)
165: Sponseller (Campbell and Ambrose)
174: Rella (Heflin)
184: Pucillo (Magrum)
197: Cook (Weakley?)
285: Morrison, Gardner, Hiles, etc...

Bucks do have other guys in room that may be better than I'm giving credit such as Sanders, Agaram. It's a solid lineup although nothing that's going to put a scare into Iowa. A timely transfer or two would help. Logan Stieber will be a huge benefit at 125 pounds (he may be done growing so it's conceivable he'll be able to wrestle this weight). Obviously, OSU will need to focus future recruiting efforts on 197 and 165-174. Like anything else, a lot will depend on the development of the kids in the room. Magrum, Jameson, Heflin, Vaughn, etc...can they become productive? Kent is very good at making something out of these types of talents. Can the Buckeyes?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

I think that is definitely a possible lineup Hank. Another variation could be this.

125: Nikko Triggas (Harrington, Touris)
133: Reece Humphrey (Paddock, Vaughan)
141: Collin Palmer (Humphrey, Paddock)
149: Lance Palmer (Jameson, C.Palmer)
157: Sean Nemec (Kusar, Jameson)
165: Colt Sponseller (Ambrose, Campbell)
174: Dave Rella (Magrum, Heflin)
184: Mike Pucillo (Magrum)
197: John Weakley (Gardner, Cook)
285: Corey Morrison (Gardner, Hiles)

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on February 7, 2009

Scales has not signed yet. I asked him where he was going today at our tournament and he said he didn't know yet. I then told him all of the reasons why he should be a buckeye. He is a great wrestler and seems like a really great kid.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2009

Scales wrestles hard and has great raw talent. But he has no definable skills to win in D1. I don't think he's been well coached and see him as a project. You're not going to win at 197 or 285 in D1 by pushing guys around with double underhooks. And college wrestlers can finish their shots. You can't hip out of trouble.

Just my opinion.

► Add to the Discussion