Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Michigan
John Ice added to this discussion on February 12, 2009

I am making the trip to Ann Arbor tomorrow. I'm going to a place called Conor O'Neil's before the match if anyone is interested in sitting, having a couple beers and talking OSU wrestling or whatever else. It should be pretty close to the arena. Maybe it can be the Buckeye hangout beforehand.

Conor O'Neil's
318 South Main Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104

Happy Hour Food Special:
(Monday through Friday from 4:00-6:00 p.m.)
50% off all appetizers

Happy Hour Beverage Special:
(Monday through Friday from 4:00-7:00 p.m.)
$1.50 off all draft beer
$1.00 off all bottled beer and mixed drinks

"And chase the frothy bubbles, while the world is full of troubles..." - W.B. Yeats, 1886

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2009

Have a blast in A2. Very cool town with a lot of great food and fun places to have a good time.

Ironically, there's a good chance I'll be in Columbus on Sunday. Anyone going?

John Herren added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

#6 Ohio State (12-2; 3-1 Big Ten) at #17 Michigan (8-6-1, 3-0-1 Big Ten)
7:00 p.m. at Cliff Keen Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Televised on Big Ten Network at 10:30 p.m.

Probable Match-Ups:
125: Nikko Triggas (Ohio State, 17-12) v. #17 Michael Watts (Michigan, 12-7)
133: #2 Reece Humphrey (Ohio State, 20-1) v. Zac Stevens (Michigan, 13-14)
141: #14 J Jaggers (Ohio State, 16-7) v. #5 Kellen Russell (Michigan, 18-2)
149: #4 Lance Palmer (Ohio State, 20-2) v. Mark Beaudry (Michigan, 2-6)
157: #17 Jason Johnstone (Ohio State, 19-8) v. Aaron Hynes (Michigan, 14-10)
165: #2 Colt Sponseller (Ohio State, 25-3) v. Justin Zeerip (Michigan, 6-12)
174: Dave Rella (Ohio State, 14-10) v. #1 Steve Luke (Michigan, 20-0)
184: #2 Mike Pucillo (Ohio State, 12-0) v. #13 Anthony Biondo (Michigan, 14-8)
197: Cody Gardner (Ohio State, 14-11) v. #6 Tyrel Todd (Michigan, 14-1)
285: Corey Morrison (Ohio State, 17-10) v. Eddie Phillips (Michigan, 11-11)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

Last year Ohio State beat Michigan for the first time in 15 (or more) years in a dual meet.

Also Sunday night at 8:00 on the Big Ten Network is Minnesota v. Iowa.

Michigan's head coach, Joe McFarland , formerly of North Olmsted, Ohio, has coached a string of teams who have all finished in the Top 10 at the NCAA Tournament since he became head coach about 9 or 10 years ago. That string could be in jeopardy this year.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

They weren't actually in the top 10 in 2000. There was a tie for 9th place moving Michigan out of the top 10.

But with that said, it usually takes a little more than 50 points to be top 10. Russell, Luke, and Todd can all be finalists (Luke should win it at 174) and possibly all three be champions. That should be enough, but if it is not, I don't think that the Michigan faithful will be too upset with three finalists.

Scott,
You are correct. In McFarland's first year, 1999-2000, Michigan was 13th at the NCAA Tournament but every year since then, they've been in the Top 10 -- not bad .

Russell, Luke and Todd all in the finals would be a real longshot . I agree Michigan fans would be elated but it probably ain't happening.

Yes, Luke is currently this week's #1 (by AWN) but Todd and Russell are both only #5. And since Luke has lost his scoring touch since going to college, he wrestles some close matches and can be beat.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

Have Luke and Rella wrestled in college?

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

Bob, I know that the chances are slim, but stranger things have happened at the NC2As. Of Russell and Todd, Russell would be the better shot in the wide open (I hate to admit that) 141. Anyone from #1 - #15 could win that weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2009

Stranger things indeed. Todd has a significant injury with which he's wrestling from what I've heard. He's still good enough to do well but don't expect him to be a finalist. Russell is one of many in the mix at 141.

Luke is a match "manager". He doesn't pound people like a Pucillo or a Metcalf but he's almost impossible to take down and is great at timely scores and riding. Borschel may be the only guy that can upset him at this weight.

I've enjoyed watching Luke since his spectacular frosh season at Massillon Perry and would love to see him win Nationals.

"I've enjoyed watching Luke since his spectacular frosh season at Massillon Perry and would love to see him win Nationals."

yep Hank, me too--- Luke was good guy in high school, probably still is --- btw he almost went to West Point-- i root for the Academies, the Long Gray Line, part of the small cadre of professionals that keeps us free. Or as Jack Nicholson said, "That man the wall."

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

It was GREAT watching the Bucks beat UM in their place, even without Johnstone (didn't Nemec travel to AA that Schaeffer wrestled?) and Gardner.

Morrison's third period TD was huge - seemed to give the whole team a lift. And Triggas finally wrestled like I hoped he would when I first heard he was going to be a Buckeye.

Jaggers losing in the final seconds was disappointing in that he let his guard down nearing the end of the match. Strikes me as a classic case of 'losing one's edge' - that he is really not mentally where he was last year. I thought his title was a case of him getting in a zone, or on a roll, and would be tough to duplicate this year. But to see him lose like last night is surprising - in the past he was always the one continuing to wrestle to the last second.

Great match though - and now Ryan has his own streak going over 'That School Up North'! Go Bucks

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

Agreed, I thought OSU looked great. Even Jaggers wreslted well and was the clear aggressor.

Sponseller looks like a national champ to me. This year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

Strong effort by the Buckeyes. Triggas pin was huge as it made up for the twist at 157.

There must be a good reason why Nemec didn't wrestle as he's obviously the guy you'd want in that situation. I don't think they should burn Kusar's redshirt for a dual. He could be a good contributor in a few years.

Bucks face a quandary for their very tough dual on Sunday with Illini. Johnstone could limit Poeta to 3. Anyone else (not named Nemec) and it's 5 or 6. Hopefully Jason will be medically cleared to wrestle.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

Agreed. Best team performance to date this season.

Jaggers is looking a lot better as his reactions are improved for 99% of the match. The difference between him winning and losing is his reaction to the leg attack. He either is cutting a corner(+) or wrestling off his back (-). The wrestling off his back is costing him matches. Two off the top of my head i.e. Lashaway and Russell. Granted both those guys excellent wrestlers and are ready for that situation to occur.

Colt is wrestling like the machine we know he could be.

Rella could have fought that first td better. But, he is doing his best wrestling to date.

Pucillo is a hammer. Wrestlers are penetrating to his leg but we are seeing the depth of his ability to counter wrestle.

Corey Morrison is continuing to gain confidence. I like that he wore on his opponent and was able to score in the third period with a high percentage set-up and shot.

Go Bucks.

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

What is Johnstone's injury?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next