Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Michigan
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

well i see # 1 Steve Luke a typical 3-2 win, congrats Dave Rella for fighting hard---- like i said, i hope, but don't think Luke will win it all, same as i said 3 years ago when # 1 Dustin Schaltter was wrestling all those close matches---- eventually a bad break, bad ref call or slight mistake overcomes what Hank calls "match management". Hope i'm wrong this time.

Notes:
.... Colt Sponseller recorded his team-leading 26th win (3 losses) of the season and is 5-0 in the Big Ten.
.... Mike Pucillo remains undefeated at 13-0 and is 5-0 in the Big Ten.
.... Sponseller, Pucillo and Lance Palmer are undefeated in the Big Ten at 5-0.
....Ryan improves to 2-1 against Michigan as the Ohio State head coach.
... Buckeyes beat Wolverines back to back for the first time since 1991 and 1992-- in fact last years win was Ohio State's first in the rivalry since 1992 -- question: what was going on all those years ?? Great job coach Ryan geting us back on track to where Ohio st should be.
.... Ohio State will honor its 2008-09 seniors – Wes Bergman, J Jaggers, Jason Johnstone and Owen Schaefer Sunday prior to the Buckeyes’ match vs. No. 8 Illinois at 2 p.m. in St. John Arena.
... The Big Ten Network will re-air the match between the Buckeyes and Wolverines again at 6 p.m. today Saturday Feb. 14-- 1 p.m. Feb. 15-- 1 p.m. Feb. 17 and 4 a.m. Feb. 18.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 14, 2009

Great dual meet. I turned on the TV at 165 almost having forgotten the match was televised on tape delay.

Sponseller took the heart out of Zeerip....Rella seemed up for the challenge of Luke. I'm wondering if the two know each other or have worked out in the past. Rella didn't seem intimidated and Luke didn't look like a #1 should...Pucillo got a heckuva challenge from Biondo. If it's possible to lose a major and wrestle well, Biondo did it....Cook just got overwhelmed. If Todd's knee is still hurt, it didn't show. I admire Todd and hope he's healthy for NCAA's. Wouldn't at all mind seeing him win it...Morrison did a nice job. I'd love to see him pick up the pace more but he didn't look as tired as past matches. He's a true wildcard at Nationals if he competes harder when it counts...Who'd have thought a Buckeye could beat Mike Watts? Triggas looked great. He managed to defend a tough shot--which he usually can't accomplish--got a takedown and hammered Watts on top. Watts just seemed to give as soon as the bar came in. This bout won the match...Humphrey's pancake was awesome. He hit is so hard it looked like he might get rolled through. I love how he was looking to put away Stevens....Jaggers looked like a returning 2x AA for 6:53. I thought he could finish the last shot he hit. Not sure what happened there....Palmer doesn't like to play the takedown game but didn't need to. He stuck with his highest percentage--riding. It was smart since any chance Beaudry had would have probably been from the feet.

Good dual, good result---hopefully, they can get the job done against the Illini.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 15, 2009

I enjoyed Ken Chertow's commentary of the matches. Very knowledgeable & complimentary toward many of the Buckeyes. I like the part when Reece was countering an upper body move and Chertow says if the Mich. wrestler comes up, Reece is going to step with his right leg and throw him, and sure enough, he starts to come up and WHAM, he's airborne!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 24, 2009

fyi, Buckeyes Add Another Gold Singlet

In the spirit of competition and rivalry the Ohio State wrestling program instituted a Gold Singlet in 2008 .

Modeled after the 75 year football tradition of "Gold Pants" awarded to each Ohio st player when the buckeyes win, Ohio State wrestling recognizes the intense competitive spirit that exists between Ohio State and “that team up North”. The following is an passage that gives a brief history of the heralded football tradition.

“ They put their pants on one leg at a time, the same as we do!” Thus the Gold Pants tradition was instituted. --Coach Francis Schmidt, March 2, 1934

Incidently coach Jim Tressel steped on the bus and addressed the wrestling team before they departed.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2