Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Dynamics - Ohio State v. Illinois
Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

I was impressed with a couple things:

1) Rella gives up first td but gets an escape with <10 seconds in first period. This is huge. As it shows that he never stops wrestling and his mindset is to improve position and score. Saying and doing doing are two separate things as are theory and practice. It is a wonderful thing when both mesh. Also, 3 tds thereafter. The first td required a bit of improvisation and kinesthetic awareness. The last td was about solid position and letting the other wrestler chase him when he had the lead. Beautiful whip/pancake for the td. Big win as Dergo is very good.

2) Jaggers acknowledging in the Dispatch that he creates a position that he is excellent at and scoring. One adjustment away from National Championship form. The grey area of scrambling off your back is open to interpretation. Hence, you are leaving the match in the hands of the referee. The lesson is that you can argue all you want but the referee's decision is final.

3) The Hump v Kennedy match was reminiscent of the Joe Don Baker match as if it were scripted. I am fairly certain that the Illinois coaches used it as a blueprint to beat Hump. Heck, he even used the same leg 4 and ride for the last part of the match.

4) Triggas took top in the 2nd after getting taken down twice as he was not going to win on his feet. He did what he needed to do and came up big.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

Rella especially and Triggas are both coming on now. Ohio st has their Big 5, but have been looking for at least 2 more to get to NCAA's and to score there. Johnstone needs to take it up a notch, end his career with a flourish.

Morrison could have a good Big Ten tourn, depends on bracketing. Big Ten not strong in 285 class, # 7 Erekson, # 8 Massey and # 9 Wise and Berhow of Mn is fairly good, but thats it.

Iowa has 7 potenially high scorers. Plus 285 Erekson who may score or may not score at all. Same for their 197 Beatty. Iowa has a hole at 157.

i think Lance Palmer is capable of beating Metcalf, there i said it. And if he can get off bottom, Sponseller is an NCAA champ.

Lance matches up stylewise against Metcalf better than any other 149. Based upon last year's quarterfinal, IMO, Lance wins if Metcalf does not grab the singlet as it created enough space for Metcalf to clear his hips.

"Lance wins if Metcalf does not grab the singlet"

Rex, as i recall, was that on Lance's close-to-achieving TKDWN attempt in 3rd period ?

i looked closely at Lance recently. ive never seen more massive back muscles, this guy has serious power.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

Bob: I agree with you on Palmer. I think he beats Metcalf at least once this year.

Morrison has done a great job all year for the Buckeyes. We are spoiled at TOSU to have had Rowlands and Bergman but people might be giving even more accolades to Morrison if our perspective wasn't so distorted. He never quits, either.

Bob-

Yes. The only reasons to grab a singlet are by mistake or if you are in trouble. Lance was very close to getting the angle. Also, as I recall there was a telltale picture up on the ozone website of the would be go ahead td in the third period.

Roe-

Corey is doing a great job. However, took a bad shot on the edge and things went downhill from there against the Illinois opponent. Had he kept moving his feet and stayed off his knees, there could have been a different outcome. Bad shots are bad shots and they cost matches.

besides the almost TKDWN where Metcalf apparently got away with grabbing singlet, Lance would like to have a 3 second interval back----

was it period 2 or 3 ? Lance on top where he wants to be and Lance ahead by was it 1 or 2 points ?

Metcalf escaped and reversed Lance for a 3 point flurry, i recall that exactly, it happened in a matter of maybe 3 or 4 seconds at most..... If only 2 i think match is tied, but Metcalf got 1 plus 2.

clarify me on this if your recall better than mine. Is it on Flo ?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

Here is their match from last year's NCAA quarterfinal. It was the third period and the announcers say escape, then an immediate takedown after separation.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3E1pdOqGg
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dZ6DJ2deaU

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

Where is Metcalf best? On his feet.

That is why I think Palmer should focus his remaining matches on wrestling on his feet. J.D. mentioned during the broadcase yesterday that Palmer has been frustrated winning a lot of matches 5-0, 6-0, etc, racking up a ton of ride time but not getting back points.

I say open up, go takedowns for a period or so, then work for near fall. This would open up the matches, help break his opponent, and ultimately prepare him for Metcalf.

Just my two cents.

Just watched part two

The singlet grab is just prior to the standing granby. Lance almost had the angle and just needed to get his knee behind the butt to quash it. After the granby Metcalf has an underhook and is out. Had there been less separation; the situation is subtly altered and becomes more of an advantage to Lance and more likely a td

Lance did have a lapse in concentration at the beginning of the 3rd period as Metcalf is relentless and that constant pressure is what wears an opponent down and results in a mental mistake.

The relentless pressure is aimed at rendering an opponent unable to maintain position and force your opponent into a mistake. It is a mental game. If you are unprepared for the challenge, it can make you look or feel like a 3rd grader out there.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

Continuing on the discussion of Palmer...

Lance has a knack for getting in on a single and finishing, esp. at the edge. His defense is excellent. But his style doesn't lend itself to scoring in bunches. I'd like to see him add a high crotch or drag to a shot...something...to what he does offensively. But right now what you see is what you get. In addition, he's very old school. He wants a takedown, breakdown and pin. So guys are very defensive against him on bottom. It's not as crowd pleasing as Pucillo or Sponseller. But it works.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

I think Lance's incredible strength helps him finish those singles at the edge as previously mentioned. Try slithering off the mat against him... didn't think so.

One thing that may work to Morrison's disadvantage is that the Big 10 is full of 285's with that same build that Morrison has, therefore making his mobility less of an advantage. Aside from Cory, there is Wise, Everhart, Berhow, Erekson, and Phillips. Or it could work to Morrison's advantage that he is actually bigger than most of them. We will see shortly.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

"Where is Metcalf best? On his feet. "

he is good on top too, in hs Metcalf rode out Dustin Schlatter at Medina. His big thing is stamina & strength-- his ability to just keep going and force mistakes is phenomenal, reminds of a very few others: recall Ironside from Iowa a decade ago, the Brands brothers.

bottom line, to win Lance must ride Metcalf, no quick escape can occur.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

125-Triggas comes up big for the second time this weekend.
133-Hump is lighting quick. I thought he had the reversal. Both these guys will be high AA.
141-Serious scrambling. Good to see J close the deal in his last home dual.
149-Workmanlike.
157-Poeta is a machine. Johnstone wrestled hard but looked overmatched.
165-Colt Sponseller will contend for the NCAA title.
174-Rella has really been scoring well with his leg attacks in the past few duals. Nice win against a quality opponent in Dergo.
184-Blanton in on some nice shots but not really close to finishing on Pucillo. Has Pucillo been taken down this year?
197-Game effort by Cook.
285-Morrison got overpowered by Wise.

► Add to the Discussion