Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: The future at 197 pounds for tOSU
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

According to internet rumor and speculation it appears Jason Cook will be tOSU's 197 for the remainder of the season. It would appear that Gardner was having a lot of trouble with the weight and will attempt to move up to 285 next season. Further speculation has John Weakley no longer on the squad. This being the case, what is the future for 197? Kevin Schlosser reported on themat.com that Cook and Magrum will likely compete for the spot. I would love to see one of these guys develop but have questions if Cook is a Big 10 caliber 197 and if Magrum will be big enough for this weight (I think 184 is ideal for him). What stud 197's could the Bucks be looking to recruit or bring in?

-It's seems Orlando Scales is unsigned and the top 215 in the country. Does he project at 197 or 285 and is he on the Buckeye radar>

-Max Huntley of Blair has been impressive this year, and Blair guys seem to perform well on the next level. Could he be an option?

-There is a guy on themat.com pushing Dwyer's brother, Matt Dwyer as a possibility for the Bucks at 197 but I don't know much about him.

Who else is out there?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 16, 2009

This is a good thread, I haven't heard anything recent about recruiting lately and 197 has been an issue the last couple of years for the Buckeyes. I would be very interested in seeing what's going on with that stuff? What information might you have Bob?

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

What about the possibility of Pucillo moving up to 197? Tyrel Todd seems to be doing well with the jump. With that move now Magrum can stay at 184 to compete. I think Mike is pretty big during the summer and maybe this will allow for him to grow even stronger as J.D. did last year. Thoughts?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

You would likely know better than I, but I was never under the impression that Pucillo was big during the off season. I saw him once this summer and he didn't seem it. I would like to see Mike stay at 184. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I doubt Scales wrestles 197 collegiately. He didn't wrestle the first week of the season, and I was told this was because he was still getting down to 215 after Elder's football season ran so late.

What about Max Thomusseit in the long run? Seems like a great prospect to me. We need to start pulling Graham kids into Columbus.

To my knowledge, Huntley is still unsigned. He or teammate Krakower could make excellent 197's in college.

Maybe Magrum and Cook share duties next year, with Magrum going to 184 after Pucillo graduates next year. Then again, this is all assuming Weakley is gone, which I really hope isn't the case. I was really looking forward to seeing him next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

Good topic:

1) Everyone wants a program to be strong at every weight class but even Iowa is weak at 157. My point--it's almost impossible to have an AA candidate at each weight. This year's OSU lineup has 9 starters that are arguably top 20 caliber and that's pretty amazing.

2) Jason Cook presents a viable option for next year. I don't know how much he'll improve but at least he can take the mat and not give up bonus points the majority of the time. I think he has some potential. We'll see.

3) Magrum competed at 174 this season but looked a bit weak at the weight. 184 looks right to me although maybe he could bulk up. In spite of his high school success, Magrum looks to me like a guy that's still a year away from being ready to compete at the D1 level. Of course, he might have looked better at a more comfortable 184 pound weight class.

4) Pucillo is just right at 184. It is a bit of a cut for him but he'd be much smaller than some of the humongous 197's. I could see him getting buried underneath some of those guys on his shots. Also, with Herbert graduating, Mike will likely be a strong prospect to win either his second or third national title.

5) Ohio State is actively seeking future prospects for this weight class. The problem is that the best guys are juniors (or junior eligible)

6) Maybe Bob Preusse (who celebrated a birthday yesterday--Happy Birthday Bob) could offer some thoughts on this topic. He knows better than anyone who might be available to help.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

thanks Hank, i don't feel 50 at all (probably because i'm not). Urbas b-day today, i told Greg he is a young man still.

Yes 197 is a 'big" problem. Yep Gardner will be moving up to 285.

Future besides Mangrum & Cook ??
...Matt Dwyer 43--4, a junior from Illinois, i would say is not on Ohio states hot list anymore.
...problem with Huntley from Blair, AWN # 2 --he is a 4th year kid so he could sign in April but he will wrestle post grad at Blair next season.
...Mike Evans, a junior, AWN # 4 from PA is a possibility but of course he will have many suitors.

but if we are talking a JUNIOR, that wrestler is several years from being a help at 197, so for the next couple years looks like a problem unless Mangrum has growth spurt.

BTW, TRIGGAS just named Big Ten Wrestler of the Week.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 17, 2009

So is it a sure thing that Huntley takes an extra year at Blair or is there a chance he signs somewhere? Is the consensus that Scales is a college 285? If we are looking at juniors I'm all for keeping a close eye on Thomessit.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

Here's what Ohio State needs to do. It's dirty, but it must be done. Tom Ryan needs to steal Keith Witt from KSU. He has shown a lot of promise at Kent so far, and Kent has Adam Cogar who is nearly as good. This way Witt can rejoin his former wrestling partner Cody Magrum. Ryan seems to have a knack for attracting transfers and this would be a winning situation for everyone except KSU. Maybe Ryan will have to give Jameson or someone else he doesn't need in order to make it a good deal. Yeah, Jameson is from Austintown which is closer to Kent than tOSU, so he might go for it. let's call the coaches and wrestlers and make this thing happen!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"So is it a sure thing that Huntley takes an extra year at Blair or is there a chance he signs somewhere? Is the consensus that Scales is a college 285? If we are looking at juniors I'm all for keeping a close eye on Thomessit."

I agree 100% on Thomusseit, I think he will be a beast in college.

I have been told that Huntley will be a postgrad at Blair next year, he is a 4th year high school wrestler but a junior eligibility wise at Blair. Think of the situation with Rollie Peterkin a few years ago, same deal.

I have a very hard time picturing Scales as a 197. Remember that in 2006 he was a Cadet AA at 275.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

"I have been told that Huntley will be a postgrad at Blair next year, he is a 4th year high school wrestler but a junior eligibility wise at Blair."

PatC,
Huntley is not a junior eligibility wise, he is a senior eligibility wise --- u only get 4 years of high school athletic comp and this is his 4th. Next year, his PG year, he wont be on Blair's high school team.

maybe u guys are right about Thomusseit, he only lost in Ironman finals 4-3 to Huntley, is that Thomusseits only loss ???

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"Here's what Ohio State needs to do. It's dirty, but it must be done. Tom Ryan needs to steal Keith Witt from KSU . He has shown a lot of promise at Kent so far, and Kent has Adam Cogar who is nearly as good. This way Witt can rejoin his former wrestling partner Cody Magrum. Ryan seems to have a knack for attracting transfers and this would be a winning situation for everyone except KSU. Maybe Ryan will have to give Jameson or someone else he doesn't need in order to make it a good deal. Yeah, Jameson is from Austintown which is closer to Kent than tOSU, so he might go for it. let's call the coaches and wrestlers and make this thing happen!"

Now that would be real integrity in coaching.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""I have been told that Huntley will be a postgrad at Blair next year, he is a 4th year high school wrestler but a junior eligibility wise at Blair."

PatC,
Huntley is not a junior eligibility wise, he is a senior eligibility wise --- u only get 4 years of high school athletic comp and this is his 4th. Next year, his PG year, he won't be on Blair's high school team.

maybe u guys are right about Thomusseit, he only lost in Ironman finals 4-3 to Huntley, is that Thomusseits only loss ???
"

I meant junior as far as academics goes. Fourth year wrestler, but a junior academically at Blair. Same as Rollie Peterkin. Both were transfers from public schools who had to take a fifth year due to credits.

Thomusseit lost to Mills 3-2 in the Top Gun finals. I think it was 3-2, anyway.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234671-prep-school-nationals/152232-189lbs-max-huntley-blair-vs-alex-pagnotta-mcdonogh

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234671-prep-school-nationals/152232-189lbs-max-huntley-blair-vs-alex-pagnotta-mcdonogh"

Suppose anyone else has heard of him? :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Huntley is a solid prospect but doesn't look like someone that would just start winning as soon as he hit college--esp. at 197. I like him a lot if he redshirts his first season.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next